Ax-men Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I was impressed by Jay Browning.
I don't know which Stihl he had, but he sure made it sing.
Watching him fell trees using a hook to hold the saw was quite something.
-br

That was a 066 with a dual port muffler.............:greenchainsaw: :cheers:

saws used on ax-men

Thanks for the info. I knew you guys could tell me what kind of saw it was.

Is it just me, or is that NOT the smartest way to carry a saw. I don't know about anyone else,but I have taken my share of spills in the woods, and I don't want something that sharp that close to my neck:greenchainsaw:

Standard technique out here just like the single rope tree toppers. The show has shown the climbing abilities very poorly. Bunch of the guys around here practically run up trees are very impressive climbers.

We had ya all goin on the chainsaws wall mart and home depot sell all the pro size Jonsereds. Most towns have at least Two Starbucks that sell huskies. Wallgreens only sell the 70cc and smaller Dolmars. No one uses Stihl out here Gary and I were hopin we mite get a Stihl dealer in western Washington some day maybe itll happen.

I wondered why they're running 32 inch bars when all the trees seemed to be less than 20 inches in diameter?

I wondered why they're running 32 inch bars when all the trees seemed to be less than 20 inches in diameter?

:monkey:
"Hmmm, me wonders about this, and the super high stumps too" ponders East of the Mississippi Monkey, as he fires up his 2171 with 20" bar and gets back to work.

Standard technique out here just like the single rope tree toppers. The show has shown the climbing abilities very poorly. Bunch of the guys around here practically run up trees are very impressive climbers.

We had ya all goin on the chainsaws wall mart and home depot sell all the pro size Jonsereds. Most towns have at least Two Starbucks that sell huskies. Wallgreens only sell the 70cc and smaller Dolmars. No one uses Stihl out here Gary and I were hopin we mite get a Stihl dealer in western Washington some day maybe itll happen.

I know I have seen climbers run up a tree like chipmonks.AS for common practice for carrying a so maybe...smart... no

We've all been telling tales. I had to buy my Stihls when I lived in Wisconsin.
Hard to get parts for them locally. The only reason we have long bars is so the saw balances better when we carry them on the shoulder. The longer the bar, the more accessories that can be hung on the bar. I have been working to get a bar with a cupholder hole so I can carry my skinny, tall mochas around as I lug Twinkle around. That's why it is good to have Starbucks selling saws here. I'm thinking they'll research what kind of bar is best for each size latte'. I also hear that they are coming out with a type of bar oil that'll have different flavors so it won't hurt the coffee when it is set on the ground by where the work is. I haven't seen the Axmen show discussing the stop at the drive in coffee place on the way to harvest the Green Gold. The show almost gave away how pleasant it really is to be out logging when it showed the guys grilling salmon on the yarder. Most crews have a chef from the CIA (Cullinary Institute of America) on the landing to cook meals for the crew. But we don't want everybody to know this stuff or we'd be inundated with more immigrants from the east.

32" bars on 70cc class saws! I thought you had to have at least an 85cc and full skip to pull a bar that big!

softwood

32" bars on 70cc class saws! I thought you had to have at least an 85cc and full skip to pull a bar that big!

They'll pull it in softwood without a problem.............:greenchainsaw: :cheers:

Last edited:
They'll pull it in softwood without a problem.............:greenchainsaw: :cheers:

I was being sarcastic. We used an 044 with a 32" for felling and bucking big trunks for years. Not because it was the saw of choice but because I couldn't afford a new one and honestly never thought that I needed a 100cc saw.

OK SO i KINDA UNDERSTAND WHY THEY USE SUCH OVERSIZE BARS

IM SURE EVERY NOW AND THEN THEY NEED THEM

BUT WHY SUCH HIGH STUMPS
I was about to scream the other night watching the chokers get tangled up in those three foot high stumps

Whats wrong with cutting them close.

BUT WHY SUCH HIGH STUMPS
I was about to scream the other night watching the chokers get tangled up in those three foot high stumps

Cuz they don't have an evil "forester" type like me to gently persuade them that low stumps are really a good thing. I've not seen any of us out there except for the Longview Fibre guy who just pointed out where they should quit cutting at. Actually, if they had something to hang the tailblocks higher up in, they'd get more lift and the stumps would not be such a problem. But looks like everything was cut or blew down or just not there so they don't have a lot of lift. Windstorms make bad layout.

I might be wrong but the only stumps I have seen any of them tangle on are old-growth stumps.

Yeah, you are right, those old ones are the trouble makers. But the fresh cut stumps look a bit higher than they are around here. Maybe the camera angle or the fact that they are cutting larger timber than around here so the stumps look higher. We don't know what their contract calls for so things are probably ok. Whatever it is, the cutters are to blame.:)

thanks for the replies

anytime I've ever worked on a logging job around the south everyone wanted stumps right at the ground so the skidders would'nt have to dodge them
I see they use a humbolt face and that leaves a higher stump
I guess im just used to seeing people bend down and saw it right at the dirt

I saw this show for the first time yesterday. The guy was using a Dolmar 7900, I believe.

I noticed that on one of the fallen trees he cut where the stump stood back up, he left at least 6 feet. I know nothing about the task of snaking them out, but if nothing else it seemed wasteful. I'm sure there is some logic to it that I don't understand.

Last edited:
I saw this show for the first time yesterday. The guy was using a Dolmar 7900, I believe.

I noticed that on one of the fallen trees he cut where the stump stood back up, he left at least 6 feet. I know nothing about the task of snaking them out, but if nothing else it seemed wasteful. I'm sure there is some logic to it that I don't understand.
It keeps a blow down stump from possibly tipping over on ya and for dealing with the stress loads. Haven't seen any Dolmars only Huskies Stihls and Jonsereds.

Latest posts

Back