Ax-men Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw this show for the first time yesterday. The guy was using a Dolmar 7900, I believe.

I noticed that on one of the fallen trees he cut where the stump stood back up, he left at least 6 feet. I know nothing about the task of snaking them out, but if nothing else it seemed wasteful. I'm sure there is some logic to it that I don't understand.
that wasnt a 7900 dolmar it was 2171 jred

He cut it like that so the root ball didnt fall on him i think. I wouldnt take any chances on throot ball especialy on low dollar wood .

dwaine

I saw this show for the first time yesterday. The guy was using a Dolmar 7900, I believe.

I noticed that on one of the fallen trees he cut where the stump stood back up, he left at least 6 feet. I know nothing about the task of snaking them out, but if nothing else it seemed wasteful. I'm sure there is some logic to it that I don't understand.

That was dwaine and he was using a J-red 2171. Not a dolmar 7900....

We've all been telling tales. I had to buy my Stihls when I lived in Wisconsin.
Hard to get parts for them locally. The only reason we have long bars is so the saw balances better when we carry them on the shoulder. The longer the bar, the more accessories that can be hung on the bar. I have been working to get a bar with a cupholder hole so I can carry my skinny, tall mochas around as I lug Twinkle around. That's why it is good to have Starbucks selling saws here. I'm thinking they'll research what kind of bar is best for each size latte'. I also hear that they are coming out with a type of bar oil that'll have different flavors so it won't hurt the coffee when it is set on the ground by where the work is. I haven't seen the Axmen show discussing the stop at the drive in coffee place on the way to harvest the Green Gold. The show almost gave away how pleasant it really is to be out logging when it showed the guys grilling salmon on the yarder. Most crews have a chef from the CIA (Cullinary Institute of America) on the landing to cook meals for the crew. But we don't want everybody to know this stuff or we'd be inundated with more immigrants from the east.

I haven't had much time to spend here as of late with all the PTA and Boy Scout stuff going on. The end of the school year is a busy time. However P's quote brought me back to reality. The reason I never logged full time I that I don't drink coffee, just tea or hot chocolate. Starbucks is nothing but drug dealers wearing Birkenstocks. Now that they are selling non-free trade chainsaws even Walmart is concerned. Salmon season has been cancelled by the feds so we are forced to cook calamari on the chipper. It comes out pretty good but Bio Plus does leave a little taste and we can keep it warm for hours by keeping it in a pile of horse manure. If you do that always use manure from draft horses and not from cow horses Fortunately we welded up a rack for the cooler so we never have to worry about the beer getting warm.

Our yarder is much smaller than those shown on Ax Men and I run while standing next to it. It doesn't have nearly enough levers and guages but it does "snake" the wood up the hill. I'm afraid if we tried yarding down hill it doesn't have enough braking capacity to stop the carriage. We never cook on on it because the boss is too cheap to buy foil. I always have some Brusells sprouts or artichokes in the truck and neither really need cooking. It has a rack for a beer cooler but it is really too small for most coolers.

Lately we have been measuring each tree before we cut it. Then we fit a bar that does not extend beyond the tree more than 1". We always use the belly of the bar and stand as close as possible to the log. My 660 is ported and with a 17" .404 chain it cuts like a loud Ginsu. I have been trying to find an 8" bar for limbing.

The horses have been mowing and pulling carriage getting ready for "the season", Green Gold season that is. I will post the loads counts here first. This past winter I welded up a rack for a beer cooler the rides between the horses. I haven't figured out a way to cook with them yet.

Last edited:
Ruh Roh. I have Birkies on my feet right now. I also have Birkie inserts that I wear in all my boots and shoes. I like the coffee drink that I can't pronounce at Starbucks. I've been spending my work time flagging in buffers for creeks and the units are only thinnings. I think I better go to the dark side and join the Sahara Club:confused: :jawdrop:

Starbucks is nothing but drug dealers wearing Birkenstocks.

Now that's funny.

Lately we have been measuring each tree before we cut it. Then we fit a bar that does not extend beyond the tree more than 1". We always use the belly of the bar and stand as close as possible to the log. My 660 is ported and with a 17" .404 chain it cuts like a loud Ginsu. I have been trying to find an 8" bar for limbing.

I don't even know what to say to that. I'm not going to even get started...

My thoughts exactly...sometimes a guy just doesn't know what to say. Maybe we ought to get 2Dogs over to the Sierras and out of that hippy-dippy coast logging environment before it's too late. :)

Hahahahahaha!......Hippy-dippy Santa Cruz Banana Slug.

My thoughts exactly...sometimes a guy just doesn't know what to say. Maybe we ought to get 2Dogs over to the Sierras and out of that hippy-dippy coast logging environment before it's too late. :)

Dudes! This past Sunday was 4/20 and the UCSC hippies invaded one of our summer pastures to 4/20 their brains out and protest, (of course). We don't move the cows there until mid May when UCSC has determined the Ohlone Tiger Beetle has done its thing and gone back underground. I'd really like to let the bulls into that pasture on 4/19. Lets play flatten the hippy. Whew! OK back to my cup of green tea.

axmen

Anybody catch last week's epesode of axmen? Did you see the boss of gustafson? logging's 372 husky when he was dropping that sitca spruce? Is it me or was that saw not running right at all? Cause I know 372's, and when you hit the throttle they go to 13,500 rpm in an instant. That saw sounded like it was lucky if it got to 11,000. If tuned right it would have flew through that sitca spruce with the 32" bar he had on it. Although his chain wasn't so hot either.....:greenchainsaw: :cheers:

Last edited:
Oh no you didn't! JReds are much better looking than the bubbly Huskies.

Without attepting to sound like a diplomat, but merely as an owner of one of each, Huskys and Jreds are, IMHO, both great looking saws. However, I must admit I rarely see any saw, new or old, that I don't think has some inherent beauty.

Last edited:
Last night, they gave a breakdown of the components of a modern chainsaw. According to AxMen, a chainsaw consists of a cutting chain, a carburetor, an ignition system and a two-stroke engine.

It seemed like an odd way to describe a chainsaw. What about the handles, muffler, fuel tank, oil tank and chainbrake?

They also seem to like showing pictures of guys getting the saw stuck in the kerf. You'd get the impression that this happened a lot, but I think they just like the "drama" when the saw gets stuck.

I think I'd run a 42" bar with full skip chain on a ported 372 or 660 out there. That way, when a log under tension springs up, I'd be farther away from it and I could limb the stems without having to bend over!

It is a goos show but is is to attract people who know absolutely nothing about logging or a chainsaw or 1' of snow, at lest people see what has to happen for those 2X4's to make their deck from:cheers:

i was just trying to get ya'll wound up.

i just hate red.always have.my motorcyle was red.all my snowmobiles have been red since i have been an adult.my tractor is red.i can't stand the color but i keep getting stuck with it.it's a curse.i'm not buying a red saw!

OOOPS! my homelite 550 is red,DAMMIT!

around here i only know of two Jred dealers and they are both out in the sticks.husky/stihl dealer is right behind my house.i think i'd buy a dolmar before i bought a Jred.

saws

i just hate red.always have.my motorcyle was red.all my snowmobiles have been red since i have been an adult.my tractor is red.i can't stand the color but i keep getting stuck with it.it's a curse.i'm not buying a red saw!

OOOPS! my homelite 550 is red,DAMMIT!

around here i only know of two Jred dealers and they are both out in the sticks.husky/stihl dealer is right behind my house.i think i'd buy a dolmar before i bought a Jred.

There is nothing wrong with either of them........:greenchainsaw: :cheers:

Back