Axe recommendations please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That Helko is a fine looking axe. It appears to have an extra wide cutting face which would really shine in wood that was softer and green. Ash was commonly used for baseball bats, maybe still is. Even MLB power hitters have a hard time denting that ash except when they throw a temper tantrum and beat on other surrounding objects, LOL. You will find a much better grade of steel and factory grind in a quality cutting tool so fine tuning the edge will actually be easier that the cheaper ones. Good steel is not a new innovation and the Germans or Swedes have quite a reputation in that field so folks enjoy collecting their axes and many of the old ones made here in the US. Have fun with it.

I sent a review to the USA rep at Helko and he told me that the edge on that particular axe comes the way it does because they figure the owner will want to finish the edge to their own specs for whatever they intend to do with it. I did not know that going in but it's no big deal, I know how to run a file, lol! He also said that is the only axe they make that has lacquer on the handle but they would be changing that to linseed oil. I almost bought the Expedition felling axe, and I still may. Those are a little closer to being usable out of the box plus they're longer and heavier. I have to say the steel is fantastic! Anything that holds an edge after the beating I put on it has to be good!

That looks like a joinery hatchet, they were used for removing the bulk of the timber before carving say a stair elephants foot or curved handrail termination

Thanks! That's what my dad said too, but couldn't find any information on it until you gave me the english word for it. I have found out that this type of axe head is called the Kent Pattern and that my hatchet probably is made of C T Skelton & Co in Sheffield.

Back