Axes for wedging

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Husky372bbported

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was wondering what the best axe is? I've been in the woods for just over 6 yrs now and all the axes that I've bought from the stores have made the wedge flex therefore not driving straight due to the curved head. I was wondering if there is any straight head axe available or what all of veterans have to say. Open to all. Thank you.

Curved head or handle? How does one hit the singles in a stack with a hammer? An axe has so many uses in tbe woods over a hammer. Chop chain when in trouble. Chop wire out of the way. Cut yourself out. Cut the end of yer recoil line clean when you've pulled it out and can't fish it thru. Make yer own wedge to reset the head when she comes loose. Stag yer pants when they're torn bad. On and on. The only time a sledge should be used is in something about 10ft dbh with steel wedges.

Curved head or handle? How does one hit the singles in a stack with a hammer? An axe has so many uses in tbe woods over a hammer. Chop chain when in trouble. Chop wire out of the way. Cut yourself out. Cut the end of yer recoil line clean when you've pulled it out and can't fish
Curved head or handle? How does one hit the singles in a stack with a hammer? An axe has so many uses in tbe woods over a hammer. Chop chain when in trouble. Chop wire out of the way. Cut yourself out. Cut the end of yer recoil line clean when you've pulled it out and can't fish it thru. Make yer own wedge to reset the head when she comes loose. Stag yer pants when they're torn bad. On and on. The only time a sledge should be used is in something about 10ft dbh with steel wedges.

it thru. Make yer own wedge to reset the head when she comes loose. Stag yer pants when they're torn bad. On and on. The only time a sledge should be used is in something about 10ft dbh with steel wedges.
I meant curved head. I agree with what your saying. The axe has so many uses over a sledge or big hammer. Here in the northeast the largest I've cut was a red oak about 7 or so ft at the flares. I remember there was 310 board ft in the first 10'

If I came across anything that was 10ft in diameter I would have to ask someone what it was that I was looking at. The timber here is glorified pecker poles 99% of the time.

I used to be a carpenter in a previous life. I can hit single wedges in a stack with my "Thor's Hammer" 100% of the time. I have a genuine phobia of needing to escape and getting caught in brush. No chaps. No axe handle. This hammer has given me a pretty annoying case of "tennis elbow" over the years, but I am too chicken of being hung up when I need to GTHO (get the Hell out).

I have a Pulaski, peavey, and utility knife in the crummy to help with other chores. Seldom needed, but needed just the same.

i use a heavy rafting axe another member was kind enough to send me. there just aren't any here, they seem to be a western thing. i did use a regular axe before that. cut the straight handle off about 26" and paint it blaze orange.
i like the axe cuz i will stick it in a trash tree nearby and can grab it easily. i used to use a short handled heavy sledge but it was always on the ground and i had to find it.

I have 2 that I go to a 3.5# antique craftsman, and 5# council, I'll drag the council if I know I'm going to need to smear some wedges... other wise the craftsman does general duty.

The Council brand has a couple different sizes and handle lengths, they have very good steel, and hold an edge very well (they are axes so don't expect a razor sharp edge to last more then a few days...) There are some other brands going that have the straight poll, but few and far between.

Also note that an axe is not meant to be a hammer, which is why most axes do not have a square poll on them, Council is one of the few that get that they are used to beat wedges, which should be soft plastic, (them hard head wedges are hard on axes, and probably meant for the folks that like to use hammers...)

And for those of you that like to drag hammers around, this happened yesterday, (first time in over a year... but still) 1/2 mile from the crummy at the end of a long day, figured it was less work to chop it free then to walk back and forth an extra trip.
1114151333-01.jpg

Back