Back at the Beach, -ish

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daninvan

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Forecast was calling for ten days of rain starting tomorrow, so it seemed like a good idea to head out today to the city log dump to do some chainsawing.

Arrived about 9 AM with my regular buddy who is a bowl turner, it was a few degrees below freezing, blue skies and a gorgeous morning. A bit of fog hanging over the harbour, not much snow on the hills yet, and quite a few ships at anchor, enough that 'armada' jokes seemed appropriate. The log dump being on a local beach is in a prime location!

23326038362_798cdd8b7e_o.jpg

There is no snow at the beach either, it was all just frost. Close to 3/4" thick in places, that much frost is pretty unusual here. I am far from a photographer with my sad little phone camera, but the light sparkling on the frost was pretty amazing, wish I could have done it more justice.

23138727340_540d49f198_o.jpg

There was even a bit of a moon to see. Sorry, not sure why this one is showing sideways.

22806175374_2ed26fbf53_o.jpg

So the reason we headed to the log dump today was not to mill up any logs, but rather to clean up some slabs that we had milled previously, but which had cracked or warped in the drying process. My slab storage area (AKA a small garage) is completely stuffed full and I can no longer afford the luxury of storing slabs that are less than perfect. So the plan was to cut out the good sections from larger slabs.

I didn't want to do it in my yard or in the lane as it would make too much of a mess and generate a lot of noise that would invite complaints from neighbours. So the log dump seemed like the obvious place. Here is about 75% of what we brought down. The large slab on the right in the first picture is catalpa, there are several more slabs stacked behind it. Most of what we cut up though was cherry. A few maples and other odds and ends.

22806180714_9e182b1ef6_o.jpg

23326059562_9e9b33527f_o.jpg

After we were done the back of the Subaru was pretty full! The smaller pieces pack in with a lot more density than do a bunch of mismatched slabs. It took two cars to bring the slabs down, but only one to take the cut up pieces back.

22807381933_00d4a70386_o.jpg

Too much digital zoom in this next picture, but it shows a log drifting by the shore. Don't want to plow into this while you are waterskiing! Typically the logs in the dump are a combination of logs that float in like this one, and city trees from parks, boulevards, schools, etc that have come down for whatever reason.

23326063562_8602833232_o.jpg

Finally a picture of the light on the beach right beside us. The sun was shining through some trees on the crest of the hill behind us and left some interesting contrast with the light and shade. Can see some unfortunate haze in the background too. The rain will be welcome, it'll clear up the air in town and likely be snow up in the hills for the skiers and for the drinking reservoirs.

23408380416_ce75798823_o.jpg

This has been the worst year by far for logs showing up at the log dump. There was a storm this August that was reported in the local paper as having taken down 500 trees in the city, and not a single one has showed up at the log dump! I am starting to think that our great run of ten years or so milling at the beach may be coming to a close.

Amazing as always!!!

394xp w/ 33" & 42" Bars - Full Comp Full Chisel - 36" Granberg Alaskan Mill
455 Rancher w/ 20" Bar - Semi Chisel
Husqvarna Forestry Helmet & Full Wrap Chaps

Beautiful. Nice work! Wish we had an area like that around here, but I feel fortunate to be surrounded by National Forest and BLM land with trees everywhere.

Those logs just wash up to the shore? Where do they come from??

Yes it is a mix of logs that wash up and city trees that have come down. Most of the logs that wash in are not very interesting, typically skinny softwoods, and often full of sand to boot. The city trees are often very interesting and a good size. And many non-native species as well. However this year there has been nothing of interest. I am not sure why, I have reached out to some of my city contacts and they have no insight either. The log dump opens up for chainsawing around the end of September, usually by mid/late January I would have been milling there ten times. This season it is zero so far. The city will shut down the chainsawing area around May, so there is still some time. Fingers crossed!

This is all new to me, no clue what you're talking about.
"City" trees? What is that? I think city tree and it's something the city planted along a sidewalk or street for shade. Yours wash down the river!

Could you explain what this all is to us "city" folk?:cheers:

"City" trees? What is that? I think city tree and it's something the city planted along a sidewalk or street for shade. Yours wash down the river!

>Could you explain what this all is to us "city" folk?:cheers:

I was wondering about that too. :)

Could you explain what this all is to us "city" folk?:cheers:

More or less as you infer. City trees are trees that grow on city property (parks, boulevards, schools, public buildings, etc). If they have been taken down or blown down in a storm, then the trunk will often wind up at the city's log dump, which somewhat strangely is located on one of the city's prime beaches. These are the ones that I look out for and mill, and that have been slim pickings of late.

These 'city trees' are separate from what washes ashore, these are often log boom escapees that have quite strict rules about salvage. They are mostly destined for pulp anyways and many are second growth. The larger ones of these the city salvages themselves and ships to a mill. They are of no interest to me, lots of guys buck them up into fire wood which the city likes and supports, since then the city doesn't have to pay to dispose of them.

Thanks for that.

Blown away by the idea that the log dump or any dump is located anywhere near a wetland or even worse a river or ocean waters. Here in the east, don't even THINK of cutting a branch in the wetlands without huge review and permission and to dump in those areas, NEVER!!

Pretty cool what you guys have there.

Latest posts

Back