Back Draft

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djkost

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Today I had my garage fill with smoke, I had the stamper door shut on my heat pro furnace. The only thing I can think is that I either had a back draft or I lost draft in the chimney causing the stove to release the smoke though the air intake vent. I open the draft door and the smoke inside the stove ignited, the chimney warmed up and it worked fine, I have a Drolet Heat Pro. Anyone else have this happen to them? I cleaned my chimney a week ago so it wasn't a chimney fire. Any help thanks.

warm days like today can be hard to get a decent draft. im guessing the chimney cooled because you were choking down the fire as the need for heat wasnt there. nice sunny warmer than it has been in a long while kinda day around here. im in west central MN myself

Yes I thought the same, it was close to 20 above here. Once the fan kicks on the chimney cools a lot. Even when the furnace is burning hard the flue temp goes down. I guess I'll use poplar for warmer days.

Sounds like puff-back. Firebox gets saturated with combustible gasses then once it gets enough oxygen it ignores and has a small combustion. Burn the stove hotter when possible.

Happens to me sometimes if I forget to open the door dampers first and make sure the draft is drawing smoke into the chimney. I don't know how she does it, but my wife can smell that smoke in an instant!

Other solution is to get some heat in the chimney to get a better draft on reloads. Only add one are two versions small splits on the coals and let them get ripping with the door cracked (10-15 mins). Once they are down to about coals load your firebox. If you are adding wood sooner than it being nothing but coals it's too early.

Latest posts

Back