Back In The Shop......Now What's On Your Bench????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picked up my new T27 bit and took the rest of the 029s apart to clean. They sure put the main bolts in tight on the 029 saws, much easier to remove in the newer 290s. This T27 is supposedly guaranteed for life...we'll see. Had a lot of difficulty removing the bar studs from the saws also. I guess Stihl must have glued the bolts in the older saws.

Picked up my new T27 bit and took the rest of the 029s apart to clean. They sure put the main bolts in tight on the 029 saws, much easier to remove in the newer 290s. This T27 is supposedly guaranteed for life...we'll see. Had a lot of difficulty removing the bar studs from the saws also. I guess Stihl must have glued the bolts in the older saws.

Have you got a Stihl stud puller?

Have you got a Stihl stud puller?
No, I used a pipe wrench on the side opposite of the threads. I didn't know they had a stud puller to be honest. It sure took some muscle to turn the stud though..I got two of the saw bodies cleaned somewhat and another soaking, probably let it soak overnight, pretty filthy.

I never had any trouble with them except on the 029 Stihl. I usually don't have to remove the studs except to replace them. I think Stihl changed that with the MS290 saws, don't think they used any sealer on them or they used a lot less. Anyway, I took a look at them on ebay and when the money comes back I may buy one. Right now my money has migrated to other places..

i use the Stihl Variocleaner and a pressure washer.. done in mins. could use just good old degreaser. all the small to tiny parts go in the ultra sonic. if those parts are heavier caked you have to scrape the crap off them a bit .. ultra sonic isnt that awesome for heavy build up.
i use the 2 bar nuts locked up on each other to take the studs out on the clamshells.

i use the Stihl Variocleaner and a pressure washer.. done in mins.
You have never had problems with white death forming afterwards? I guess if you rebuild and run them shortly after there is no problem. I would worry that I pressure washed it and then was not able to get to it for a while and it would die a sad white death.

So many of the carcasses I buy on eBay are obviously cleaned with a pressure washer (because it is quick) and invariably the crank bearings are frozen and white death has set in in the bottom of the crankcase and around the bearings.

If rebuilding I give a good blow job and then WD40 the crank bearings.
If it's a runner, I will run it immediately after for 5 mins piss revving the crap out of it.

Sent from my iStihl.
sounds like a pretty wild shop mate :)

Latest posts

Back