Band saw mill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boomer 87

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Does anyone here have the harbor freight gas powered bandsaw mill? What do you think about it? I was thinking about investing in one. I have very limited funds so it's that or nothin. But if you have one chime in on pros and cons. Or if there is another obtainable option let me know thanks

Well I'm in the process of selling my motorcycle to get into the bandsaw milling gig. I was hoping to get 2600-2800 for it but I didn't want to burn all that on a mill if I didn't have to. Is there another option in that range I watched videos on u tube of the harbor freight mill it looks decent enough for a real beginer

About a year or so ago, they stopped allowing the use of the 20% off coupons for the sawmill. It does go down in price from time to time, and you might run across a coupon specific to the sawmill, but I cant remember ever seeing one. Keep an eye out, and you may catch it on sale.

I was hoping to use the coupon I must admit but even so full price is 2 grand.

the woodland mill is in that range. i have one, it is a good one to start with.

The harbor freight one says it's good up to 20" logs. What the one you mentioned good for or where do I find that mill info?

Woodland almost identical, but help and parts available- HF- parts/ customer service is a joke. with woodland be milling in a week or so- Hf maybe a month or so. all depends if stock on hand- likely shipped from Calif. so add shipping to cost. Hf will accumulate orders until a container is filled on large slow moving items so it could be even longer than a month. Neither of the stores here have that in stock.

How about building one like Gene's small bandsaw mill? there's a thread about it, and I think you could get all the materials for less than a K, and if you dont already have a welder, you would have enough to buy one off craigslist.
I built my own BSM this spring, maybe I'll post pics of it if I can find my camera. It's mostly Gene's design, tho I opted for 19" steel pulley wheels rather than tires.
I didnt take pics of the build in progress, but could show some details if you are interested.

I first went with the HF mill and really like it. It was a nice small, lightweight setup. I ended up being able to use the 25% off coupon and got it for really cheap. I know have a Hudson mill that I purchased used (farmboss 360) and although it has some significant design flaws I really like the deck and trailer system.

I'm liking the woodland mill is it made in USA? I like the fact it has a Kohler powerplant and can saw larger logs than the HF mill.

i get beat up moving the logs around.but its a hobby. like i said it is for first time milling.

Back