ArboristSite.com Sponsors

bar and chain oil... make your own??

Discussion in 'Chainsaw' started by redneck51587, Dec 9, 2011.

1. redneck51587

redneck51587 ArboristSite Operative

I cut A LOT of firewood... And bar abduction chain oil just seems to get more expensive every time i stock up. Does anyone make their own??

2. w8ye

w8ye Addicted to ArboristSite

Look for sales at the big box stores.

I stocked up on bar oil from a store called Menard's back in September. It stinks like old differential oil though I don't notice it while cutting.

For some 30 years, I used drain oil filtered through a pantie hose and never had any bar or chain trouble but for the last 15 years have used bar oil from the various discount stores. Still no trouble.

Look for a oil that is stringy.

3. Adirondackstihl

Adirondackstihl Addicted to ArboristSite

Bar oil contains tackifiers which allows it to cling to the chain while rotating around the bar at high speeds(similar to chain "wax" often used on moto-x bikes), otherwise it would simply sling off as soon as it rounded the sprocket tip. Which in turn would leave the bottom side of the bar with minimal lubricant.
    Causing pre-mature bar and chain wear.
    I can pick up a gallon of bar oil at the local Tractor Supply Co. for about $7.99, which is a heck of alot cheaper than motor oil.

:popcorn:

4. JRepairsK70e

JRepairsK70e been there ...done that

i do a blend of 25%bar oil 75%clean oil drained from qt and gallon bottles of 5,10,15 wt and or any atf bottles , drain all bottles for a couple hours ,into a gallon bottle takes me about a month to get a full gallon [ doing 3-4 oil changes a week in my shop] end up buying 3 gallons b/c oil per year yields 12 gals special blend . i use the most in the spring during firewood processing so i sometimes run a little low and it takes the rest of the year to rebuild my stock pile . works for me jk

5. redneck51587

redneck51587 ArboristSite Operative

Tsc oil is 10 bucks here... And Walmart sells it for 7.50. I used to get it for 5 at ace hardware after thanksgiving but they are up to 13 bucks. Just tryin to save a little money... Don't wanna trash my saws or anything. I remember my grandpa used to make it but he's not around anymore to ask :( RIP gramps