bar and chain oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
but flinging petroleum oil everywhere in the woods, your garden, or whatever is kinda silly especially when its not necessary and so expensive. .................. Not to mention how much l breathed in.....Do your lungs like breathing a fine mist of petroleum oil with known carcinogens???
Those were the things that made me want to try it - and heck, the stuff goes around once and gets flung off, so the requirements are not too extreme. Once again since my saws are cheap I could afford to take a risk, but it's worked out just fine.

It was 9deg out this morning and I checked out the fresh jug sitting in my barn - it was not congealed. There was some cloudier stuff at the very bottom, and I could not tell if that was suspended water/ice or what, but it was liquid and did not appear any thicker than many bar oils.

Oh, and thanks for the complement!

I have been using mostly tall timber from Fleet Farm. Usually around $7.00/gal. They have an all season and a summer weight. The all season is lighter than the Stihl in summer, but a little heavier than winter stihl in winter. The summer weight seems the same as Stihl orange bottles. The 'all season' and summer are new in the last couple years. They used to just have one grade and I think the new ones are a little better(the old stuff got pretty thin in the heat).

It's been working fine for me for 10 years and my bars all seem fine.

I've used just about everything; winter weight, summer weight, ATF, power steering fluid, motor oil, gear lube cut with motor oil, and so forth. On the 15-18" bars that I normally run it really doesn't matter. With the thinner oil you just end up using more of it. I guess if I had long bar saws I'd worry more about tackiness.

For cold weather I like ATF because it's easy to see the little pink droplets in the snow.

I'd have no problem running used oil if needed but my Mac came from a guy who used drain oil exclusively and the saw was an absolute mess to clean up.

I've used just about everything; winter weight, summer weight, ATF, power steering fluid, motor oil, gear lube cut with motor oil, and so forth. On the 15-18" bars that I normally run it really doesn't matter. With the thinner oil you just end up using more of it. I guess if I had long bar saws I'd worry more about tackiness.

For cold weather I like ATF because it's easy to see the little pink droplets in the snow.

I'd have no problem running used oil if needed but my Mac came from a guy who used drain oil exclusively and the saw was an absolute mess to clean up.

Wow and you wonder why the EPA is all over you guys! Using toxic oils like that is a huge no no. Mmm nothing like carcinogenic fumes in the morning huh? :numberone:

Wow and you wonder why the EPA is all over you guys! Using toxic oils like that is a huge no no. Mmm nothing like carcinogenic fumes in the morning huh? :numberone:
You sure are trolling tonight. Please tell me how petro based bar oil is so much better for the environment than regular petro based oil.

You sure are trolling tonight. Please tell me how petro based bar oil is so much better for the environment than regular petro based oil.

Sorry was under my bridge. Bar and chain oil goes where my friend? On the ground yeah? You are aware that it is more soluble than conventional oil. While it is not perfect it if far far better than using ATF, Motor oil, hydraulic oil, power steering fluid, and gear oil. But you know this right? So that toxic oil you use gets on the greenery a deer eats it then you shoot the deer and then you eat it! OR when you are cutting and do no heed the instructions of your 6 year old on how to use the flippy caps on your saw and you dump a load of gear oil onto the ground and contaminate the water table then wonder why when you are bass fishing the bass have an extra eye. Why is it so hard to just use the right tool for the right job. Forget about the EPA or all the safety sallys Think about preserving the woods for your kids. Bar and chain oil too much $$ use Canola oil.

Sorry was under my bridge. Bar and chain oil goes where my friend? On the ground yeah? You are aware that it is more soluble than conventional oil. While it is not perfect it if far far better than using ATF, Motor oil, hydraulic oil, power steering fluid, and gear oil. But you know this right? So that toxic oil you use gets on the greenery a deer eats it then you shoot the deer and then you eat it! OR when you are cutting and do no heed the instructions of your 6 year old on how to use the flippy caps on your saw and you dump a load of gear oil onto the ground and contaminate the water table then wonder why when you are bass fishing the bass have an extra eye. Why is it so hard to just use the right tool for the right job. Forget about the EPA or all the safety sallys Think about preserving the woods for your kids. Bar and chain oil too much $$ use Canola oil.
Yes I'm pouring gallons of it on every foliated surface around. My wood lot looks like the Alaskan shoreline after the Exxon Valdez. My kids go out there to play and it's just like those oil wrestling scenes in the movies. I don't need to cut wood any longer because I can just shovel bucketfuls of sludge off the ground straight into my boiler. Burns hot with thick black smoke.

Seriously, get a life. Go ride your little EPA pony somewhere else.

I feel lucky to have a regional petrol distributer that mixes its own bar oil. I bought 5 gallons for $6 or $7/gallon.

Yes I'm pouring gallons of it on every foliated surface around. My wood lot looks like the Alaskan shoreline after the Exxon Valdez. My kids go out there to play and it's just like those oil wrestling scenes in the movies. I don't need to cut wood any longer because I can just shovel bucketfuls of sludge off the ground straight into my boiler. Burns hot with thick black smoke.

Seriously, get a life. Go ride your little EPA pony somewhere else.

Relax jr. What did I say that was factually incorrect? Why are you so against doing something that is good for the environment? Why are so you against doing something that is good for you? Breathing in that atomized oil can be quite toxic. As I said No EPA, No tree hugging. Common sense says using those oils is not a good thing. Some members have also stated they have gone to Canola based oils for their saws with no ill effects. They save money and also leave a smaller footprint on the environment.

Relax jr. What did I say that was factually incorrect? Why are you so against doing something that is good for the environment? Why are so you against doing something that is good for you? Breathing in that atomized oil can be quite toxic. As I said No EPA, No tree hugging. Common sense says using those oils is not a good thing. Some members have also stated they have gone to Canola based oils for their saws with no ill effects. They save money and also leave a smaller footprint on the environment.
Factual? How about your line about the deer eating an oily leaf and so on. That's about as far of a grasp on this site that I've seen short of those from our notable members from WA and CT.

Truth be told I normally do use regular bar oil. The other oils are more expensive and not necessary except in deep cold. But I won't hesitate to use whatever is available if I need to get wood cut as the nearest town is a long way away. I don't disagree vegi oils are better for the environment but they are normally the consistency of lard for at least half of my year.

Below 40 F, I used to cut summer oil (SAE 30) with up to 25% kerosene. This year I buy 5W-30 motor oil for well under $3 a quart at nearby Army PX. It can be pumped to the bar when cold, and my saws seem to like it.

When it's down in the teens you need to warm up some straight-grade oils just to get them to pour. I'll pass.
Hey @Rockjock . This fella is always up for a good argument. Why don't you spew some EPA goodness on him too.

Factual? How about your line about the deer eating an oily leaf and so on. That's about as far of a grasp on this site that I've seen short of those from our notable members from WA and CT.

Truth be told I normally do use regular bar oil. The other oils are more expensive and not necessary except in deep cold. But I won't hesitate to use whatever is available if I need to get wood cut as the nearest town is a long way away. I don't disagree vegi oils are better for the environment but they are normally the consistency of lard for at least half of my year.

How is my statement incorrect? Can you say without a shadow of a doubt that it would not cause issues in the deer? Can you honestly say that if you ate that meat if may or may not hurt you? I do not think you can. All I am saying is that why take the risk when the right tool is at hand. I did not mean to imply that your wood lot is a toxic dump. What I did imply is that those oils are harmful to the environment and to us. I see that many people dislike to listen to the Government bodies that are in charge of such things. But as I said forget the EPA and use common sense. You do not hunt out of season, You do not drive the wrong way on the motorways. All common sense things.
Ya don't piss in the wind and you don't pull on Masterminds dress. :D

How is my statement incorrect? Can you say without a shadow of a doubt that it would not cause issues in the deer? Can you honestly say that if you ate that meat if may or may not hurt you? I do not think you can. All I am saying is that why take the risk when the right tool is at hand. I did not mean to imply that your wood lot is a toxic dump. What I did imply is that those oils are harmful to the environment and to us. I see that many people dislike to listen to the Government bodies that are in charge of such things. But as I said forget the EPA and use common sense. You do not hunt out of season, You do not drive the wrong way on the motorways. All common sense things.
Ya don't piss in the wind and you don't pull on Masterminds dress. :D
Your example is so exaggerated that it has no merit. Have a nice night.

I'm not going to argue about whether ATF has more detergents than regular bar oil and may be worse for the environment. I'm sure canola oil is better for the environment.

Bar oil is spread out thin and unless dumped or spilled it's pretty harmless. It will break down naturally. Yes bacteria do break it down. Any oil spill will naturally be broken down. Where does all the oil leaking from cars and trucks go?

road oil's is a perfect example... toxic, as any other oil's ? more so ! the hot mix plants use oils like this for new road prep that is cheaper than motor oil's! we cant dump our used motor oil from our cars/trucks with out a fine! where does all these oil's come from, where else hey... good mother earth where all our road ways are tarred over with toxic waste from mans inventions that create waste an toxin's! so how much does our government pay to have our roads improved? epa? not much of an argument as to toxins or where is the better place to dispose of them! anywhere you can with a profit or a reasonable use.....

Concerning the use of bar oil or engine/trani/gear oils.

The smallest bar I use when cutting is 16", the others are 20, 28, and 32. My concern with using the cheaper stuff is it isn't tacky enough to stay on the bar and make it all the way around to where it's needed, on the bottom of the bar, middle to rear. That's where most worn bars show the most wear and heat. As expensive as big bars are I have been hedging and buying Echo bar oil at Orscheln here in town and it's pricey at about 16.00 a gallon. True I only use 2 to 3 gallons a season but I am wondering if anyone else has my concerns. Does the Wal Mart brand have enough tackiness to stay on a large, warm bar all the way around? Also Orscheln has there own house brand in a blue bottle for about 1/2 the price of Echo. Any thoughts or experience?

The smallest bar I use when cutting is 16", the others are 20, 28, and 32. My concern with using the cheaper stuff is it isn't tacky enough to stay on the bar and make it all the way around to where it's needed, on the bottom of the bar, middle to rear. That's where most worn bars show the most wear and heat. As expensive as big bars are I have been hedging and buying Echo bar oil at Orscheln here in town and it's pricey at about 16.00 a gallon. True I only use 2 to 3 gallons a season but I am wondering if anyone else has my concerns. Does the Wal Mart brand have enough tackiness to stay on a large, warm bar all the way around? Also Orscheln has there own house brand in a blue bottle for about 1/2 the price of Echo. Any thoughts or experience?
I normally use ALCO brand bar oil (made by Spectrum corp) which is comparatively priced to any of the other bargain oils. The standard weight oil has lots of tack and is quite thick. I keep my 65 on a rubbermaid bin lid to catch what leaks and everytime I pick it up after several days of sitting there are little oil "hairs" streaming everywhere off the case of the saw. It is too thick to use in the winter so thats why I choose to spray atf all over my deer foliage. ;)

The tractor supply oil works OK on my 28 and 36 inch bars. Note: no below zero freezing temps here, so not sure how it works in real cold weather.

Back