Bar oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david1332

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So is there any actual difference in the cheap vs. expensive bar oils???
Around me prices are kinda high.
Powercare-$8/gallon
Hysqvarna-$11/gallon
Echo-$11/gallon
Stihl-$20/gallon at the local dealer
I've been using the husqvarna and haven't had any problems . Just wondering if I'm wasting money as we all know how much of this stuff we go through lol.

I used to be a fan of the older orange jug Stihl bar oil, but I noticed as of late (not sure when the change occurred?) the orange jug is garbage, thin and not tacky at all...

Admittedly I'm a self diagnosed Stihl-aholic and liked the idea of running name brand oil, I let it go too long and even had some bar heat damage from the newer Stihl orange jug. Talked to the local dealer he confirmed a formula change and recommended the platinum Stihl silver jug, claiming it had improved flow and tackifiers compared to the newer blended orange jug. I'm the type of guy that likes an excuse to go to the local Stihl dealer and all, but just can't bring myself to spend upwards of $20 on a jug of bar oil...

The past 6months I switched to the Tractor Supply Company county line blend oil, matter of fact on sale here in Ohio bought a jug for $6 today. It reminds me of the older blended Stihl orange jug, "medium" viscosity (not too thin or too thick) and nice and tacky. I notice my chains have more of a "wet look" with this bar oil meaning the oiler keeps a chain cooler and better lubricated. Furthermore I notice less tar/burnt buildup on my chains after prolonged use.

Nothing scientific and like I said it's not all about money, heck I would love an excuse to go to my Stihl dealer vs TSC (full of Chinese made crap..), but after getting the suggestion from here, I am a believer that Stihl bar oil is not the best...

The above experiences are running pro series saw: a ms441c oiler turned to max with 20" bar and a ms201TCM with 14" bar and oiler turned to max. Well maintained saws, sharp chains, bar groove and oil passages in bar cleaned every couple tanks. Typically have about 1/8" tank of oil left when my fuel is empty.

I would be interested in hearing if anyone has used and likes the Stihl platinum.

Jason

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Try to get a 55 gallon drum or a pallet if you can swing it. Probably bring the cost down to $7-$8. I hear the TSC bar oil is good. I have never used the power care stuff. But, when you look at total costs for the business, insurance is far more expensive then bar oil. Bar oil is about my lowest cost after gasoline and mix oil. Same with bars and chains.

0da1d1f034d7c1aa41e3bbba51635129.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you ever work fire, steal cases of Stihl Platinum from the supply tent. If you don't ever work fire just turn your oiler all the way down and run used motor oil. Bars are actually cheaper than bar oil if you're good at math....

We get our 2smoke mix, & bar/chain from a small independent oil company/blender.The B/C oil we buy in as a blended base & add the tackifier to suit the job, as we get the tackifier supplied separately.The saw branded B/C oil gets a price hike because of the brand name & in most cases the No Name product is equal if not better quality

Walmart 20-50 or 10-30 depending on weather. Add a little oil treatment to every bottle if it is not sticky enough, but needs to be well mixed to perform well. Most of my bars have the factory paint that is still a 100% after 5 years. I did order a 55 gal drum several years ago, but was too too messy. Changing the bar now and then is not the end of the world either. Thanks

Latest posts

Back