Bar on fire...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r1stgei

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey guys! Quick question... put a carbide chain on my 20"bar. Bar was pretty much new... cut thru a few old uprooted stumps laying around that I'm trying to clean around the place.

Made about 4-5 cuts... oiler was working just fine. Noticed that the bar was smoking hot afterwards and developed a hot spot underneath.

Any ideas on this? Yes it's old dirty wood ... carbide chain took a beating too... IMG_7366.JPGIMG_7367.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey guys! Quick question... put a carbide chain on my 20"bar. Bar was pretty much new... cut thru a few old uprooted stumps laying around that I'm trying to clean around the place.

Made about 4-5 cuts... oiler was working just fine. Noticed that the bar was smoking hot afterwards and developed a hot spot underneath.

Any ideas on this? Yes it's old dirty wood ... carbide chain took a beating too... View attachment 596072View attachment 596073

IMG_7369.JPG

Well, the hot spot is probably the spot that is in the wood. Not on fire, just taking some paint off.
If it was lack of oil, other things would happen.

May want to pop sprocket off and make sure nothing got real hot....

Got a lot of saws in the dead pile that are fried on the pto side...

You're good, you mighta heated it up a little. dirty wood and a dull chain will spin faster creating more friction and heat. The bar may need dressing up. it has probably mushroomed in that spot. but it's still good. I've done a few bars that way over the years. a dull chain does more damage to other parts than people think. I doubt it caught on fire, I've seen a lot worse that didn't.

Bar looks a little less new now, make sure it is not grooved. I have old bars for each size saw, specifically dedicated for stumps and nasty dirty wood. Generally pick a saw that oils copiously, like one 038 in particular I have. Newer saws tend to oil less due to EPA guidelines. You don't use waste oil for bar oil, do you? That is an actual sin, which means in the after life you only get to use a Poulan Wild Thing, or worse, the legendary "Power Horse" sold at Northern Tool.

Back