Barber chair theory.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdqdl

Old enough to know better.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Many newbies to our business don't know about "barber chair", which is a dangerous event that generally occurs while felling leaning trees. They have killed many experienced tree cutters, and are hardly predictable.

There are many threads on this topic, and I don't wish to discuss the many methods available to avoid the problem. What I would like to do in this thread is discuss recognizing the threat prior to starting the chainsaw.

I stumbled across this video, which is the best footage I have ever seen of a full-blown "barber-chair" event (BC for the rest of this post): http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAerialArborist#p/a/f/2/2YAf61zz5VU

From my studies of this kind of event, the general cause of BC is a side force of some sort against the trunk of the tree being felled; either wind load, lean, or perhaps uneven branch load or another tree leaning on it. Most often, we hear of poor technique to resolve the problem, and the fatal results of either getting whacked by the rising split, or the falling tree from unpredictable directions.

Generally, we presume that a heavily leaning tree is prone to BC, but quite frankly, it is a truly rare event in my small portion of this trade, yet it is aparently quite a common concern in other areas.

I have a theory, which I welcome all your thoughts on:

It is not possible to assess the amount of side force necessary to cause a BC, but it isn't going to happen under most circumstances. I think that some trees just cannot be made to BC, and others will do so predictably.

Predictable: significant side load, tree species with easily split logs, and the complete absence of knots, forks, or other interlocking wood fiber that would prevent a longitudinal split of any length.

Notice in the video that there is a rather long trunk section that splits down almost the entire length. Also notice that there are no branches or stubs from branches that were present along the lower part of the tree. Fundamentally, this was a tall pole of parallel grained wood that was not cross linked by any branches for most of the life of this tree. It had obviously been growing in a dense forest that only allowed branching in the upper canopy. Lower branches were sacrificed for rapid attainment of height.

My own single experience occurred when I top cut a 3" diameter maple branch. It was extending about 20' horizontally, and I had no concerns for the landing point, peeling the limb, or wasting time notching and hinging. It split, sending a 6' long split flying upward, which came slapping back down with considerable violence only a moment later. Faster, in fact, than I could interrupt the cut.

This branch had everything previously discussed: long, thin structure relative to it's load, an easily split wood (sugar maple), poor technique that amplified the risk, and this particular branch had NO nodes or cross branching for the 6 feet that it split.

So while I recognize that barber chair is always possible, I think that rather than looking at just the side lean of any given tree, we should put more consideration into how much evidence there is of split-resistant features, and how easily that particular tree specie is to split.

Last edited:
From my studies of this kind of event, the general cause of BC is a side force of some sort against the trunk of the tree being felled; either wind load, lean, or perhaps uneven branch load or another tree leaning on it. Most often, we hear of poor technique to resolve the problem, and the fatal results of either getting whacked by the rising split, or the falling tree from unpredictable directions.

Generally, we presume that a heavily leaning tree is prone to BC, but quite frankly, it is a truly rare event in my small portion of this trade, yet it is aparently quite a common concern in other areas.

I have a theory, which I welcome all your thoughts on:

It is not possible to assess the amount of side force necessary to cause a BC, but it isn't going to happen under most circumstances. I think that some trees just cannot be made to BC, and others will do so

For my part of the country, you are leaving out a rather large circumstance that will cause barber chairs-ice. The worst example i've ever seen was canada in 98. You'd barely start the back cut and you'd be barber chairing. And that was pretty much every species.
It is a concern with several species around here every winter, even a little bit of lean that wouldn't cause a barber chair, you put a ton of snow or ice thirty feet up and it puts a lot of force into the little bit of lean.

While your theory is interesting, i've seen too many species barber chair over the years that if i'm even a little bit unsure, instead of believing that a certain species cannot be made to barber chair, i just take a minute and set a chain.

If i may ask, what is your ranking on splitability of trees?

Last edited:
I guess they happen when least expected. That tree didnt look to have that bad of a lean, but guess it was enough.

Notice in the video that there is a rather long trunk section that splits down almost the entire length. Also notice that there are no branches or stubs from branches that were present along the lower part of the tree. Fundamentally, this was a tall pole of parallel grained wood that was not cross linked by any branches for most of the life of this tree. It had obviously been growing in a dense forest that only allowed branching in the upper canopy. Lower branches were sacrificed for rapid attainment of height.
QUOTE]
Agree your hints worthy to consider looking for. May I add timber with little or poor taper in the trunk. Perhaps a characteristic of faster growing trees in areas of poor light. This may give rise to elongated and weaker wood fiber. Add your observations to the mix and bang.
Down here we call em slab outs, may I ask "Barber chair" what is the origin of this metaphor.

I guess they happen when least expected. That tree didnt look to have that bad of a lean, but guess it was enough.

That tree went straight up, the "lean" in that case was caused by a possibly too aggressive felling notch sending it that direction. The other cause was the plunge cutting method which left a small section of the tree on the back side, this small section tore away from the main trunk when the tree started to fall after I pulled the saw out. I never got the chance to sever the last piece of wood holding the tree up and it split away.

My response to that video is that is shows what happens when don't keep cutting on the backcut once started. I feel from looking at the tree if he would have not stopped in the backcut like he did the movement would not have abruptly stopped and whipped the upper portion and caused the barber chair. Regardless that has been the best example on video I have seen in my 22 yrs of cutting. I use that shot in my saw classes to show what happens when you don't saw fast enough to keep up with the fall of the tree. Especially very tall skinny trees that have alot of leverage being exerted on them by the top once the tree starts to fall.

For my part of the country, you are leaving out a rather large circumstance that will cause barber chairs-ice. The worst example i've ever seen was canada in 98. You'd barely start the back cut and you'd be barber chairing. And that was pretty much every species.
It is a concern with several species around here every winter, even a little bit of lean that wouldn't cause a barber chair, you put a ton of snow or ice thirty feet up and it puts a lot of force into the little bit of lean.

While your theory is interesting, i've seen too many species barber chair over the years that if i'm even a little bit unsure, instead of believing that a certain species cannot be made to barber chair, i just take a minute and set a chain.

When you talk of ice and snow are you also considering frozen wood? And at what temperature do you consider a safety issue for cutting?

Yep, I didn't mention ice; I left the door open for any kind of uneven load on the trunk, though.

Splitability of trees?

Low? Pretty much the same set of trees that say no to me when I whack them with a splitting axe. Elm, locust, most oaks. Pretty much anything with a branch or fork in it.

Easy splitting? sugar maples, pine trees where they are not knotted up.

Last edited:
I think that some trees just cannot be made to BC

See, what worries me about your theory is this one little statement. I'm of the opinion that with the right set of circumstances, any tree is capable of a barber chair. Sure, some of these circumstances may need to be extreme, tornado force winds, ten inches of ice, etc. However, saying that a certain species of tree cannot be made to barber chair is not a good assumption imo. You know this business, when you start taking something for granted, that's when crap happens to prove you wrong. The feeling i'm getting from you is if you were to walk out to an oak with a heavy lean, heavy wind, 2 inches of ice, you wouldn't take a barber chair precaution. I've had oak barber chair on me (there was 25 inches of snow sitting on leaves), but it did happen. The very first barber chair i ever saw was my old man on a locust when i was a kid. It's not impossible, but you are right that it is more improbable than on something like ash.

When you talk of ice and snow are you also considering frozen wood? And at what temperature do you consider a safety issue for cutting?

Not really, and i have yet to work in a temp low enough to make cutting a safety issue. Cut in -20 many times and have cut in as low as -30 a couple times in canada with no noticeable difference to me on the likelihood of a barber chair. Climbing frozen wood and limb strength is another story in those temps.

You have pretty good points. I find that we agree on most things, and this doesn't seem far from that.

Most of the trees that I see are urban shade trees. Nothing tall and straight from the forest, although we get an occasional 20'-30' log without a fork. Not very often, though.

I'd bet you couldn't barber chair a hedge tree with a crane pulling on it. Probably true for mulberry too.

Forget all the plunge cuts and other remedies. You are still taking the risk on tree with steep lean. Just grab some 5/8 or 3/4 rope and wrap it around the tree really tight few times just above your cut. Problem solved.

Last edited:
Forget all the plunge cuts and other remedies. You are still taking the risk on tree with steep lean. Just grab some 5/8 or 3/4 rope and wrap it around the tree really tight few times just above your cut. Problem solved.

I've used heavy duty ratchet straps before, you can get them much more tighter than a rope.

I think stress cracks in the trunk are big factors towards whether a tree could barber chair. You can't see them most of time. Pines are notorious for this.

QUOTE]
Agree your hints worthy to consider looking for. May I add timber with little or poor taper in the trunk. Perhaps a characteristic of faster growing trees in areas of poor light. This may give rise to elongated and weaker wood fiber. Add your observations to the mix and bang.
Down here we call em slab outs, may I ask "Barber chair" what is the origin of this metaphor.

Ive heard them called barber chairs because they say they will take your head off if it hits you. Or it could just be because the stump resembles a chair when it occurs.

That tree went straight up, the "lean" in that case was caused by a possibly too aggressive felling notch sending it that direction. The other cause was the plunge cutting method which left a small section of the tree on the back side, this small section tore away from the main trunk when the tree started to fall after I pulled the saw out. I never got the chance to sever the last piece of wood holding the tree up and it split away.

That tree may not have gone the way you intended it to, but at least you got a great video out of it. Many people will learn from this. Thanks for sharing.

Not cutting a good notch will cause them.
That is what about tore my head off.
I was cutting a small white oak. So small I didn't think it really needed a notch (being young, stupid, and in a hurry).
It started to go, but hung in another tree.

Now I had a leaning tree that was a cocked canon.
I stood off to the side (expecting any kick to go away from the trunk of the tree).
I stuck the tip of the saw into the heart, and saw a big flash of white light.

My first mistake was not notching. That was the biggest mistake.
The second was sticking my head in the barrel of a cocked canon.
That was as dumb as sticking your finger into a light socket.

I've had others split off the stump, it was usually because of poor notching.

Actually the tree went exactly where I wanted it to ...

That tree may not have gone the way you intended it to, but at least you got a great video out of it. Many people will learn from this. Thanks for sharing.

I was trying to drop the tree in a very narrow LZ right between other much smaller trees without damaging them. Look closely at the video and you can see how it went right between them.

And as I said earlier in this thread. It was my over aggressive felling notch that caused the lean that caused the "BC" on the thin slab that stayed there, It was about an inch of wood and another of Cambium layer is all, hardly and example of a serious BC. Notice how quick I lopped it off. You guys are sharp, I thought I'd get away with that one.

Last edited:
AA, that sure looked like a normal notch (1/3rd or less) to me, and you must have been hiding when you did the bore cut, 'cause it sure looks like a normal notch 'n drop to me.

I played it slow and careful quite a few times, and I don't see the same things you are describing. Must be in the camera angle...

It was a normal drop, until ...

AA, that sure looked like a normal notch (1/3rd or less) to me, and you must have been hiding when you did the bore cut, 'cause it sure looks like a normal notch 'n drop to me.

I played it slow and careful quite a few times, and I don't see the same things you are describing. Must be in the camera angle...

It was a completely normal drop ~ until that slab split off into a mini barber chair. The tree hinged well an fell right where I wanted it. As I remember that day I might have gone over a third a wee bit to get it to start, as I did not bring my wedges. This was another reason I plunge cut it leaving that slab in the back, I didn't expect it to fracture like that though.

I that particular instance it would have even been OK if it toppled over backwards, as long as it didn't get me or my groundsman. Would have most likely damaged some smaller trees though if it did that.

Plunge cuts are standard procedure for heavy leaners that could possibly barber chair. All the fibers behind the face cut are under tension, release them by cutting towards the wood that is under the most stress. Releasing the tension wood first with a traditional back cut results in barber chairing. Take this question to the logging forum and we can all learn. Looks more like British Columbia than PA.

Aerial, you still climbing with ice axes?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back