Bargain Gas powered tools alert

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Crapman saw, spent more for gas taking it in for warranty carb work than I paid for the saw.The small engine tech in the Minocqua,Wi store is an idiot, the store manager is a retard. I will never purchase any of their chinese junk , which they are dumping here in the states. The Craftsman name is now an instant turnoff to me. I spent hours on the phone to the 800 number for customer service for warranty repair...F#&K sears...

I feel the same way about a sliding miter box chop saw I got 2 years ago. Every time I use it something else falls off, finally the trigger and handle to raise / lower the saw fell apart. Took it back and to see if they would pro-rate it for another saw...nothing would not even listen. I am done with Sears, they are living off a reputation that no longer exists. Today's stuff is rebadged Chinese garbage. Hope my new Dewalt treats me better.

I have a Crapman saw, spent more for gas taking it in for warranty carb work than I paid for the saw.The small engine tech in the Minocqua,Wi store is an idiot, the store manager is a retard. I will never purchase any of their chinese junk , which they are dumping here in the states. The Craftsman name is now an instant turnoff to me. I spent hours on the phone to the 800 number for customer service for warranty repair...F#&K sears...

I hear ya - junk is junk. You couldn't pay me to take it off their hands. 99% of the stuff sold in big box stores is low quality garbage that is designed to fall apart after being used a few times. I would rather pay more and get a tool that will last for years.

Well, I don't know if they are still made like my "loaner special" but I've had it 8-10 yrs and it runs like its supposed to every time it gets used. Which is about twice a year when a buddy needs it for yard clean up. Certainly nothing close to any of my other saws, but it continues to amaze me that it will still start and run good with the sporadic use it gets and no maintenance. Pretty sure mine's a rebadged poulan.
downsized_1108001427.jpg

Well, I don't know if they are still made like my "loaner special" but I've had it 8-10 yrs and it runs like its supposed to every time it gets used. Which is about twice a year when a buddy needs it for yard clean up. Certainly nothing close to any of my other saws, but it continues to amaze me that it will still start and run good with the sporadic use it gets and no maintenance. Pretty sure mine's a rebadged poulan.
downsized_1108001427.jpg
Yup, it's a Wild Thing in formal attire. I have one too, presently in a bin with a scored cylinder, that I used hard for 12 years. And I'll fix it eventually because it's a great little saw. It doesn't have AV, which is fine with me, but other than that it's an entirely conventional saw made out of the same kinds of parts and materials as any other plastic case saw. Got lots of power for 42cc and responds well to a muffler mod and a tuning, just like "real" saws. It'll even score its cylinder if you use poor fuel, just like a "real" saw.

I think the new ones are strato engines, and I'd snag one for that price - but I thought I saw a unicorn up in the woods while I was splitting wood a couple of minutes ago, and I'm gonna go chase it.

Last edited:
These saws are poulan wild things with all the "auto" features. I have 2 of them I bought for 5 bucks each locked up and use the parts to keep my poulan running. They are pretty good little saws if the limiter caps are pulled IMMEDIATELY and richened up. I do hate the auto tight thingy and use the poulan cover with normal bar nuts.

Latest posts

Back