Bark beetles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting tired of going to look at clients yards where only cedar trees are left alive...

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 9
Im working up by Camp nelson above Springville. Were doing 60 trees a day up there, pines white firs, even a lot of Cedars. They can't mark them fast enough. And were just doing Edison's trees. The pines are all hot full of beetle.
I read a paper where they used recording of beetles from different areas, and it caused them to turn on one another killing each other. It actually shook up the researcher. I doubt the forests will ever be as they were. Its bigger then just the drought. Think this is the first drought the west has experienced in the last 1000 years. Whats different.?

It is the near complete removal of fire from a fire adapted ecosytem over the laws 100 years that has lead to over crowding and winters have been warmer have the laws few years allowing beetles to been more, the drought, and other things.

It is the near complete removal of fire from a fire adapted ecosytem over the laws 100 years that has lead to over crowding and winters have been warmer have the laws few years allowing beetles to been more, the drought, and other things.

That very thought crossed my mind at work Thursday.

Attachments

• 20160929_152153.jpg
    20160929_152153.jpg
    915 KB · Views: 7
It is the near complete removal of fire from a fire adapted ecosytem over the laws 100 years that has lead to over crowding and winters have been warmer have the last few years allowing beetles to breed more, the drought, and other things.

Damn auto correct.

That very thought crossed my mind at work Thursday.

We have a 2 acre area of our property that is only accessible by foot because it is a steep drainage. It was already full of dead fall from past snow storms that was going to be nightmare to cleanup but now it's going to have to be burned this winter with all of it being piled by hand and moving it with a hand winch. I will also have a pack in alot of water in backpack pumps to keep the burn contained because of the heavy duff built up over 60 years.

I've done a lot of forest care jobs on private property where we remove under growth, thin unwanted trees, remove ladder fuels, all in an effort to undo what we unwittingly have created.
I use to like burning brush piles during rain storms or while covered in snow, using a drip torch with gas and diesel mix. But i don't think were allowed to burn much in calif. anymore.

The san Joaquin valley pollution control district plays a big part in burning or not burning. Most of the time we get to burn since our property is above 3,000 feet. I usually burn during dry periods in the winter, brush, pine needles, ect. I don't even pile the needles, just cut line and burn.

With all of the dead trees along the roads crews will be busy removing ones that fall across the roads over the next few years.

Well I got the most hazardous trees down around our cabin, my pile burn time was about three days with the first day real sketchy. Every other time i had snow or rain water running across the entire meadow.

I've been up in Calavaras Co. Doing bug trees for pg&e. Gotting a lot of rain up their. Lots of burning going on up tell a month or so ago.

Trees seem to be dying everywhere, mono culture forestry is part of it but it cannot be all. I sometimes wonder how many species can be lost I mean American chestnut, American elm, looks as if ash our white oaks took a major hit with hypoxylon after terrible droughts of course it don't help our foresters spray to kill them in newly harvested areas. Fukishima leaked radiation we are sure a messed up species when you stop and think of it. God if you believe in him,nature whatever your belief you can't help but see it if you been around since the sixties we have just about trashed our planet to death.

Back