Basic 3120xp Mods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They're $23 each, I think I'll wait. About the time I order them someone will come up with a source for a 1.16mm jet. (stevethekiwi?)

Ouch! I believe you should be able to get the the non epa jet through a husky dealer. I noticed what I assume was the correct jet listed when I was looking at an IPL earlier today from an online dealer. I think they wanted about $12 for it there.

How about pictures of the muffler mod??? I just put a new PC on my 3120 and was thinking about doing the muffler. I would love to see what you've done

Ouch! I believe you should be able to get the the non epa jet through a husky dealer. I noticed what I assume was the correct jet listed when I was looking at an IPL earlier today from an online dealer. I think they wanted about $12 for it there.

If you ever find a place that actually carries the Walbro 1.16mm jet, let me know. I think the part number is 503 97 67-06.

I had a couple dealers try, including Madsns. I sort of know the main mechanic there and he tried in vain to get 1.16mm jets from their Husky source. His Walbro contact couldn't get them either, so he had to get some smaller jets to drill out when he was trying to work out some issues with a bunch of old new 3120K saws the railroad had found.

So to my knowledge, the only place that actually has them is ROW (like NZ). Even though they are listed in the IPL for the 3120. I would be glad to be wrong, though.

Last edited:
I've had a hard time locating info on max RPMs. I know what the factory manual states, but I'm sure this is based on the max RPMs allowable for their limiters. As some point my guess would be the rod will let go, but I have no idea where that point actually is. Romeo or any of the other big bore racers care to comment???

I don't know what the factory spec's are on a 3120, but When I'm working mine (which is not very often) I tune it to about 12,000 rpm's. When racing I take her up to about 12800 rpm's. Anything over 13000 makes me nervous.
The crank will let go long before the rod will.
I've got an adjustable carb on mine. There out there, and I highly recomend hunting one down.

Andy

I stopped by the Stihl dealer to check out the 3120 he has. He put a black coil on it but can't remember what was originally on there. The saw will fire and run for a few seconds then it dies right out. The carburetor has been cleaned. He doesn't know much about the history but says it doesn't even look broke in. I know this isn't much to go on but I would appreciate any advice on what to check. The serial # is 99 10000 79. I'd really like to pick this up, that thing is a beast!

How about pictures of the muffler mod??? I just put a new PC on my 3120 and was thinking about doing the muffler. I would love to see what you've done

Sorry I didn't take any while I was doing it (forgot to do so in my frozen state of mind). I'll try to so so next time I'm tinkering with the saw.

If you ever find a place that actually carries the Walbro 1.16mm jet, let me know. I think the part number is 503 97 67-06.

I had a couple dealers try, including Madsns. I sort of know the main mechanic there and he tried in vain to get 1.16mm jets from their Husky source. His Walbro contact couldn't get them either, so he had to get some smaller jets to drill out when he was trying to work out some issues with a bunch of old new 3120K saws the railroad had found.

So to my knowledge, the only place that actually has them is ROW (like NZ). Even though they are listed in the IPL for the 3120. I would be glad to be wrong, though.
I guess I made a poor assumption when I said you might be able to get them from the dealer.

These are the guys I've used for my Husky parts with a lot of success. You can check with them. I placed an order with them yesterday for a replacement bar/guide plate, but I didn't pursue the jet... although I probably should have.
http://www.russopowerequip.com/parts-browse.asp

I don't know what the factory spec's are on a 3120, but When I'm working mine (which is not very often) I tune it to about 12,000 rpm's. When racing I take her up to about 12800 rpm's. Anything over 13000 makes me nervous.
The crank will let go long before the rod will.
I've got an adjustable carb on mine. There out there, and I highly recomend hunting one down.

Andy
Great info Andy! 13k was the number I was concerned about seeing as well. I'm now really intersted to see what she's turning in her current configuration. Anything over 13k and I'll open the jet up until it's south of that.

I've had a very hard time finding an adjustable carb. A little birdy (whom you know very well) told me a while ago that the carbs off the 3120k saws have adjustable carbs, but I've now looked at five of them and all had fixed carbs. If you find one, and don't need it yourself, please send me a PM! :)

I stopped by the Stihl dealer to check out the 3120 he has. He put a black coil on it but can't remember what was originally on there. The saw will fire and run for a few seconds then it dies right out. The carburetor has been cleaned. He doesn't know much about the history but says it doesn't even look broke in. I know this isn't much to go on but I would appreciate any advice on what to check. The serial # is 99 10000 79. I'd really like to pick this up, that thing is a beast!
That could be a tough one since being a dealer I would assume he knows what he's doing. Could be an air leak, timing out of wack from his ignition mods, carb, clogged fuel pick up, etc... any number of things. Although, if the price is right I'd jump on it.

great thread thanks for the pics and info. now if i get a epa 3120 i know what to do.

wouldnt this saw be a 1999? i dont think they epa 'ed them until 2000. someone correct me if im wrong.

That could be a tough one since being a dealer I would assume he knows what he's doing. Could be an air leak, timing out of wack from his ignition mods, carb, clogged fuel pick up, etc... any number of things. Although, if the price is right I'd jump on it.[/QUOTE]

He's a good guy but admits he doesn't know much about Husky's. I should have a little cash soon and will go make an offer as is. Then I can break it down and ask some more ?'s on here. If you ever find an adjustable carb that work on those, let me know. I'm not a big fan of fixed jet carbs either.

That could be a tough one since being a dealer I would assume he knows what he's doing. Could be an air leak, timing out of wack from his ignition mods, carb, clogged fuel pick up, etc... any number of things. Although, if the price is right I'd jump on it.

He's a good guy but admits he doesn't know much about Husky's. I should have a little cash soon and will go make an offer as is. Then I can break it down and ask some more ?'s on here. If you ever find an adjustable carb that work on those, let me know. I'm not a big fan of fixed jet carbs either.

Husky upsized the jet size over the years on the 3120, and I am guessing they did it for a reason. So check out that saw for damage, and if you buy it I would go up to a 1.12 mm jet minimum.

On a big saw I don't hate the fix jet as much as I would on a smaller saw (I still don't like them of course), except that with a low limiter you have little idea of whether you are jetted ideally.

In point of fact, with my bigger saws once I get a slightly conservative adjustment that works for me, I very seldom need to change it. With my smaller saws they seem to vary a little more in WOT rpm for some reason - maybe more sensitive to variations in fuel.

Last edited:
Husky upsized the jet size over the years on the 3120, and I am guessing they did it for a reason. So check out that saw for damage, and if you buy it I would go up to a 1.12 mm jet minimum.

On a big saw I don't hate the fix jet as much as I would on a smaller saw (I still don't like them of course), except that with a low limiter you have little idea of whether you are jetted ideally.

In point of fact, with my bigger saws once I get a slightly conservative adjustment that works for me, I very seldom need to change it. With my smaller saws they seem to vary a little more in WOT rpm for some reason - maybe more sensitive to variations in fuel.

I looked at the saw again today. It does rev fine it just doesn't want to idle. The P/C are good. Apparently the original owner just didn't care for any of his equipment. I don't think it was abused, just neglected. He said he would take $600 for it as is. It's an XP model w/ a full wrap handle, has a marginal bar and chain but I'd put my Stihl bars on it if it's adaptable. Considering the price of a new one that's not too bad. I'm trying to learn more about this model before I buy. I appreciate all the 3120 owner's input.

I looked at the saw again today. It does rev fine it just doesn't want to idle. The P/C are good. Apparently the original owner just didn't care for any of his equipment. I don't think it was abused, just neglected. He said he would take $600 for it as is. It's an XP model w/ a full wrap handle, has a marginal bar and chain but I'd put my Stihl bars on it if it's adaptable. Considering the price of a new one that's not too bad. I'm trying to learn more about this model before I buy. I appreciate all the 3120 owner's input.

With all the unknown factor I would not pay $600 unless it ran like a top. The big saws can get really expensive in terms of parts.

With all the unknown factor I would not pay $600 unless it ran like a top. The big saws can get really expensive in terms of parts.

The counter to that is that BIG saws are really uncommon in some areas. I saw an 088 with 48" bar this summer and walked away from it with a $1200 price tag on it. When I saw a 3120 advertised locally for more reasonable $, I had to go and look.

I agree that the bigguns can be $$ to fix, but his sounds like a not too serious problem. Things that come to mind are carb kit fuel filter, airfilter, and clutch.

Price is generally dictated by supply and demand.

The counter to that is that BIG saws are really uncommon in some areas. I saw an 088 with 48" bar this summer and walked away from it with a $1200 price tag on it. When I saw a 3120 advertised locally for more reasonable $, I had to go and look.

I agree that the bigguns can be $$ to fix, but his sounds like a not too serious problem. Things that come to mind are carb kit fuel filter, airfilter, and clutch.

Price is generally dictated by supply and demand.

True, but there is much more demand for used 880s than 3120 and the price usually reflects that.

Thanks. I'm sure it could add up quite quickly. I do need to buy a saw for business expenses this year but I'll take my time. There's a select few I would like.

From time to time I've seen pretty nice 3120s for sale for $500 to $700.

It's like used pianos, you never see a good deal when you are actually wanting one.

Just an FYI. Bailey's can get the adjustable carb for the 3120 for $155.

Are you sure? Is it a Walbro just like the original 3120 adjustable carb (1989?)? Heck, a flywheel for a 3120 cost more than that.

Do you have a part number? If true (I am from Missoura), I would probably buy one just for fun.

Last edited:
Just an FYI. Bailey's can get the adjustable carb for the 3120 for $155.

I sent the person you talked to an email and heard back from him. He said they can't get that carb for emmision reasons. I'm sort of confused of why he told you they had such a carb available.

They told me they couldn't order the Husky black coil and flywheel a while back too and I wonder if it is because of CA stricter emmision policy. Because you can get those parts anywhere else.

Did you get a chance to tach it with the jet drillred? just wondering how it went, thanks

Latest posts

Back