Basic 3120xp Mods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sent the person you talked to an email and heard back from him. He said they can't get that carb for emmision reasons. I'm sort of confused of why he told you they had such a carb available.

They told me they couldn't order the Husky black coil and flywheel a while back too and I wonder if it is because of CA stricter emmision policy. Because you can get those parts anywhere else.

I don't think that's true about the emmision policy, at least on parts. I recently purchased an HT-7A carb for a 084/088($174 new), it takes a few weeks but a dealer can get it.

Last edited:
I don't think that's true about the emmision policy, at least on parts. I recently purchased an HT-7A carb for a 084/088($174 new), it takes a few weeks but a dealer can get it.

I tend to agree, as coil flywheel parts for the 3120 they said they couldn't get, you got from your dealer and then later I ordered them here no problem (although I only reached dead ends on the 1.16mm jet - which I bought from STKW). I am giving Bailys the BOTD by saying maybe it's a CA thing.

If I could order a 3120 carb with the adjustable jet, I think I would if it were in the ballpark of the Stihl carb you mention. Just for a future project saw.

Maybe next time you are at your Husky dealer you can ask him if he thinks he can order a adjustable Walbro for a 3120 just for another opinion.

Last edited:
I tend to agree, as coil flywheel parts for the 3120 they said they couldn't get, you got from your dealer and then later I ordered them here no problem (although I only reached dead ends on the 1.16mm jet - which I bought from STKW). I am giving Bailys the BOTD by saying maybe it's a CA thing.

If I could order a 3120 carb with the adjustable jet, I think I would if it were in the ballpark of the Stihl carb you mention. Just for a future project saw.

Maybe next time you are at your Husky dealer you can ask him if he thinks he can order a adjustable Walbro for a 3120 just for another opinion.

He tried to get the 1.16 jet, but could not. I’ll ask him sometime about the carb (got a part number?), I just seen him yesterday. Picked up my new OEM piston, rings, and base gasket for the 3120. Total on parts came to $98.

edit: he had one 372xp left, price was $700.

Last edited:
Wet1, how's the 3120 with the stock EPA flywheel and 272 coil doing?

What jet size did you end up with?

I'm still a little confused, as EH has posted in the past that the flywheel needs to be retimed with a 272 coil....But your results say otherwise.

Wet1, how's the 3120 with the stock EPA flywheel and 272 coil doing?

What jet size did you end up with?

I'm still a little confused, as EH has posted in the past that the flywheel needs to be retimed with a 272 coil....But your results say otherwise.

Funny you ask, I finally got around to running it on Saturday. I didn't have any big wood to buck, so I threw a 28" bar on it (with an 8 pin) to cut 24" white oak, which did an okay job of loading the saw with a little pressure on it. I threw the tach on it with the 28" b&c, it was turning right around 13.4k-13.5k at WOT out of the wood. A little high for my comfort, but I used it anyway since I knew it would drop down in the cut. I made about 20 cuts with it and then shut it down at WOT so I could later read the plug.

I pulled the spark plug yesterday to see how it looked, it appeared a little leaner than I'd like (although not too bad), so I'll be reaming out the jet a little more before she goes out for another workout. Hopefully this will drop the revs down a hair at the same time. 13.5k wasn't enough to really frighten me, but I'd feel pretty safe if it was around 13.2k or so. Once I get the plug looking nice, I'll try to report back as to what I finally ended up with on the main jet sizing.

Regarding the timing, I think it depends on the coil. The 272 coil I had on hand dropped right in and the timing was exactly where it was with the factory 2005 EPA FW/coil. I would not expect this to always be the case with all 272 coils, so check before and after if someone out there is considering doing this change. Also noteworthy, I didn't have to notch the case for the 272 coil, as I feared.

I have to tell you this thing is is pretty LOUD WFO after doing the muffler mod, and boy does it scream now!!! You can really feel it in your chest when she's doing her thing. It's a totally different saw now after doing these mods. I haven't compared it to the 880 yet, but my guess is it will walk the (stock) 880 now by a significant margin. It really is hard to believe this is the same saw and that it woke up this much with a few cheap and simple mods...

I have a a couple of projects I still need to get to first, but if I have the time (and I never seem to), I'd like to drop the jug, do some porting, and advance the timing a few degrees. Not that it really needs more power (it's pretty impressive as it sits), but you know how it goes. :hmm3grin2orange:

Funny you ask, I finally got around to running it on Saturday. I didn't have any big wood to buck, so I threw a 28" bar on it (with an 8 pin) to cut 24" white oak, which did an okay job of loading the saw with a little pressure on it. I threw the tach on it with the 28" b&c, it was turning right around 13.4k-13.5k at WOT out of the wood. A little high for my comfort, but I used it anyway since I knew it would drop down in the cut. I made about 20 cuts with it and then shut it down at WOT so I could later read the plug.

I pulled the spark plug yesterday to see how it looked, it appeared a little leaner than I'd like (although not too bad), so I'll be reaming out the jet a little more before she goes out for another workout. Hopefully this will drop the revs down a hair at the same time. 13.5k wasn't enough to really frighten me, but I'd feel pretty safe if it was around 13.2k or so. Once I get the plug looking nice, I'll try to report back as to what I finally ended up with on the main jet sizing.

Regarding the timing, I think it depends on the coil. The 272 coil I had on hand dropped right in and the timing was exactly where it was with the factory 2005 EPA FW/coil. I would not expect this to always be the case with all 272 coils, so check before and after if someone out there is considering doing this change. Also noteworthy, I didn't have to notch the case for the 272 coil, as I feared.

I have to tell you this thing is is pretty LOUD WFO after doing the muffler mod, and boy does it scream now!!! You can really feel it in your chest when she's doing her thing. It's a totally different saw now after doing these mods. I haven't compared it to the 880 yet, but my guess is it will walk the (stock) 880 now by a significant margin. It really is hard to believe this is the same saw and that it woke up this much with a few cheap and simple mods...

I have a a couple of projects I still need to get to first, but if I have the time (and I never seem to), I'd like to drop the jug, do some porting, and advance the timing a few degrees. Not that it really needs more power (it's pretty impressive as it sits), but you know how it goes. :hmm3grin2orange:

Thanks for the report. EH also reported he needed to notch the case with a 272 coil because of the wire and you didn't, so there must be some sort of variations either in saws or coils. The wire from a green and black 3120 coils are at vary different angles, but I think it may just be because of different "thicknesses" of each coil.

Based on what I've read, I'd get a bigger jet on that sucker very soon. I bought a couple spare 1.12mm jets to have on hand in my last order, and they were only $2.

On a slightly different note I am starting to keep my eye out for a beater 3120 and maybe have someone do some mild porting and such without opening up the muffler (extra noise bothers me physically).

Both my 3120s (and 880) are too new and pretty (and expensive) to start messing with yet.

Last edited:
Is it 4-stroking at all at 13,500?

I thought it was, although I'm not an expert on tuning 2 strokes by ear, but by looking at the plug I'm not so sure. Either way, I know it could be a little richer based on the plug appearance. Plus, lower revs and more margin of safety certainly sound like a good idea when in doubt. ;)

Thanks for the report. EH also reported he needed to notch the case with a 272 coil because of the wire and you didn't, so there must be some sort of variations either in saws or coils. The wire from a green and black 3120 coils are at vary different angles, but I think it may just be because of different "thicknesses" of each coil.

Based on what I've read, I'd get a bigger jet on that sucker very soon. I bought a couple spare 1.12mm jets to have on hand in my last order, and they were only $2.

On a slightly different note I am starting to keep my eye out for a beater 3120 and maybe have someone do some mild porting and such without opening up the muffler (extra noise bothers me physically).

Both my 3120s (and 880) are too new and pretty (and expensive) to start messing with yet.
I wish I could tell you if the saws or coils are different, but I know this combo worked (2005 saw a you can see the coil PN in the pics) for me, although Ed is a very sharp guy so I would certainly listen to anything he told you.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get the $2 jets? Do you have the part number on hand? I'd like to have an extra (or two) on hand as well.

I hear you on modding a new saw. While mine is in excellent condition, I believe I still have less than $650 into this saw, including the mods. Still a lot of money I guess, but that's peanuts compared to the cost of a new replacement. Since I don't use this saw for my livelihood, and I have other large saws on hand should I need one, I'm not overly worried about modding this saw and having something happen to it because of something I've done (although hopefully this doesn't happen).

I wish I could tell you if the saws or coils are different, but I know this combo worked (2005 saw a you can see the coil PN in the pics) for me, although Ed is a very sharp guy so I would certainly listen to anything he told you.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get the $2 jets? Do you have the part number on hand? I'd like to have an extra (or two) on hand as well.

I hear you on modding a new saw. While mine is in excellent condition, I believe I still have less than $650 into this saw, including the mods. Still a lot of money I guess, but that's peanuts compared to the cost of a new replacement. Since I don't use this saw for my livelihood, and I have other large saws on hand should I need one, I'm not overly worried about modding this saw and having something happen to it because of something I've done (although hopefully this doesn't happen).

I bought the 1.12mm jet from a husky dealer for $2 each. You may be able to get bigger jets from a Walbro dealer, but as far as I could tell the 1.16mm (non EPA jet) size was not available in the US at all.

1.12 jet part # 503 97 67-06 (I believe)

In terms of cost, I have well over twice into each of my 3120s as you do as I bought them new and then bought the non EPA flywheel and coil. That's why I am keeping a lookout for a good deal on a used one to play with.

I bought the 1.12mm jet from a husky dealer for $2 each...
1.12 jet part # 503 97 67-06 (I believe)

I called my local husky dealer, he didn't come up with anything using that part number. He wants me to give him my serial number (tomorrow) and said he'll call husky and see what they can come up with. It would be nice to start with a factory 1.16 jet, but just having a spare 1.12 kicking around would be fine for me. I'll let you know what he comes up with.

My 3120 has got an adjustable Walbro carb (WG-7A or WG-10 according to the manual) but a 2008 Australian model. If anybody wants a price on anything in particular let me know. I'm on good terms with the Husky dealer and our dollar is s#*t compared to yours! It could take some time though, it took 7 weeks for my 3120 to arrive. According to the manual its got 12,000rpm limit too? Video below for those interested. They're an awesome saw and this was some pretty hard wood...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glepRIvmw_g

I called my local husky dealer, he didn't come up with anything using that part number. He wants me to give him my serial number (tomorrow) and said he'll call husky and see what they can come up with. It would be nice to start with a factory 1.16 jet, but just having a spare 1.12 kicking around would be fine for me. I'll let you know what he comes up with.

I guess that is the non epa jet. So I think the 1.12 jet is

503 97 67-05

and is still available.

I'm sure B. and I would both be interested in an adjustable carb. Please shoot us a PM with down-under pricing if you get a chance.

Thanks! :cheers:

My 3120 has got an adjustable Walbro carb (WG-7A or WG-10 according to the manual) but a 2008 Australian model. If anybody wants a price on anything in particular let me know. I'm on good terms with the Husky dealer and our dollar is s#*t compared to yours! It could take some time though, it took 7 weeks for my 3120 to arrive. According to the manual its got 12,000rpm limit too? Video below for those interested. They're an awesome saw and this was some pretty hard wood...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glepRIvmw_g

All the manuals say 12k, even the 9.7k US models (EPA).

No offense, but are you sure the HS is adjustable on your 3120? (not just idle and low speed?) That fooled silogger for a short while until he looked closer.

I've was not aware an adjustable HS carb 3120 was available anywhere. My IPL shows the WG7 and 8 both fixed jet. But when I googled and found articles talking about walbro carbs on powered paraglider sites, it seems like certain carbs had adjustable HS jets. Also the Walbro literature says WG available in adjustable HS. So now I'm totally confused what is available and might work for a 3120.

I hear this little voice....(Andy) Just get an 880 and be done with it.....

Last edited:
All the manuals say 12k, even the 9.7k US models (EPA).
No offense, but are you sure the HS is adjustable on your 3120? (not just idle and low speed?) That fooled silogger for a short while until he looked closer.
So now I'm totally confused what is available and might work for a 3120.
Good to know that all the manuals say that mate. The manual is pretty lame actually!
Spoke to the local Husky guy today over the phone and he said he's seen both adjustable jets (H/L) and fixed jets on the larger Huskys although mine is only the 3rd 3120XP he's sold in over 10 years so he's not 100% sure. I just checked my saw a bit closer and you're right - no adjustable high jet. Only low and idle.
I'm going to ring Husky Australia to ask them whats available over the next few days. Husky dealer reckons a whole replacement carby is likely to be around USD$140-150. You guys in the US could probably land one there for around USD$180 if they are available.

Last edited:
Good to know that all the manuals say that mate. The manual is pretty lame actually!
Spoke to the local Husky guy today over the phone and he said he's seen both adjustable jets (H/L) and fixed jets on the larger Huskys although mine is only the 3rd 3120XP he's sold in over 10 years so he's not 100% sure. I just checked my saw a bit closer and you're right - no adjustable high jet. Only low and idle.
I'm going to ring Husky Australia to ask them whats available over the next few days. Husky dealer reckons a whole replacement carby is likely to be around USD$140-150. You guys in the US could probably land one there for around USD$180 if they are available.

I will be curious, although I still am guessing he's wrong and in the 3120 it's all fixed HS jet.

I see online Walbro carbs available, but the hard part would be to know exactly which configuration would drop onto the 3120.

What color is the coil on yours, green or black? You can look through the cover and see it on the recoil side.

I will be curious, although I still am guessing he's wrong and in the 3120 it's all fixed HS jet.

I see online Walbro carbs available, but the hard part would be to know exactly which configuration would drop onto the 3120.

What color is the coil on yours, green or black? You can look through the cover and see it on the recoil side.

I'm sure you're right, they should all be fixed jet carbs on these newer saws. I believe his saw would most likely be a ROW saw, it should have the black coil with the higher 12k limit.

I will be curious, although I still am guessing he's wrong and in the 3120 it's all fixed HS jet
I'm sure you're right, they should all be fixed jet carbs on these newer saws. I believe his saw would most likely be a ROW saw, it should have the black coil with the higher 12k limit.

You are probably right regarding the fixed H jet. The local Husky guy doesn't sell a hell of a lot of bigger models and his memory may be failing him! Mine does have the black coil too.

Back