BBQ Sauce and Dry Rub Recipes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a subject I know a little about....

These are some basic rub recipes that I will share.

This is good for pork (butts, ribs)

5 tablespoons white sugar
2 tablespoons brown sugar, paprika
1.5 tablespoons: Cumin, Garlic Powder, Dry Mustard, Table salt
1 tablespoon Onion powder
1 teaspoon black pepper, ground chilies (ancho, etc....whatever you can find....NOT "Chili Powder")
1/2 teaspoon cayenne and white pepper

Mix/blend well. This will season two 8-10 lb butts or 4-5 slabs of ribs. I like to trim and season and let it sit in the fridge overnight or at least 6 hours.

This is good for a brisket or a large beef roast on the smoker

1 tablespoon black pepper, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, salt, cumin, dry mustard, paprika
2.5 tablespoons of coffee (ground, un-used beans)

1 teaspoon black pepper, ground chilies (ancho, etc....whatever you can find....NOT "Chili Powder")

Mix/blend well. This will season two 8-10 lb butts or 4-5 slabs of ribs. I like to trim and season and let it sit in the fridge overnight or at least 6 hours.

1 tablespoon black pepper, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, salt, cumin, dry mustard, paprika
Sounds good!

I don't know what the recipe is but this is the best BBQ sauce I've ever eaten. It's made by a guy I work with and his late father crafted it years ago while he ran a BBQ joint famous for it's BB ribs. I have only tried the medium and it is delicious. Thick,sweet, savory, spicy and packed w flavor so a little goes a long way. Bo is working on getting it into stores right now and it seems to be an uphill battle. I told him he should go on the Shark Tank show w it.

http://bos-kicking-bbq.myshopify.com/collections/all

Not my rub recipe............I just tweeked it...............................

Chef Paul Prudommes Blackened Steak Magic is good stuff, but I don't care for the fennel seeds in the rub. They stick in my teeth and have a strong, black liquorice like flavor that overpowers the rest of the flavorful rub when I bite into them w about every bite........................
so I pour the whole jar through a wire mesh strainer/sifter and shake the fine spice onto a paper plate and remove the seeds. Then pour the ground spices back in the jar. What's left is a very fine very potent spice w a little kick, a skant dusting adds alot of flavor to anything. This stuff is great on about any kind of meat grilled, smoked, fried, broiled or baked, also good sprinkled on before or after cooking veggies, soups, etc. and any type of dish w tomato sauce, It's awesome sprinkled on pizza!!

Not my rub recipe............I just tweeked it...............................

Chef Paul Prudommes Blackened Steak Magic is good stuff, but I don't care for the fennel seeds in the rub. They stick in my teeth and have a strong, black liquorice like flavor that overpowers the rest of the flavorful rub when I bite into them w about every bite........................
so I pour the whole jar through a wire mesh strainer/sifter and shake the fine spice onto a paper plate and remove the seeds. Then pour the ground spices back in the jar. What's left is a very fine very potent spice w a little kick, a skant dusting adds alot of flavor to anything. This stuff is great on about any kind of meat grilled, smoked, fried, broiled or baked, also good sprinkled on before or after cooking veggies, soups, etc. and any type of dish w tomato sauce, It's awesome sprinkled on pizza!!
I love that stuff!

I once bought a jar of molasses thinking it'd taste smooth and sweet, kind of like maple syrup. Cracked it open to put it on some pan cakes. But boy, was I wrong...

BUT, in searching for something do with it (this was back in the pre-internet early-90s) I stumbled upon a BBQ sauce recipe using it in a cookbook. AWESOME!!! Such a pure, tangy taste! I still make variants of it every now and then whenever I can get a jar (but its not so common here in Japan. Actually, I have to get it abroad)

So in my mind, any good BBQ sauce would have to have molasses.

sometimes I smoke ribs or brisket, sometimes I just buy it. usually same 'hole-in-wall' place. awesome food. hickory smoked. they always give some bbq sauce with whatever one buys. I never use it, always redo it... bit too vinegar based, I make my own (ketchup bottle)... that stuff with some vanilla ice cream, so good, would make a killer shake! lol ~
P1010006.JPG

:)turned out very good, happy with the changes. not too fond of vinegar based bbq sauce... only in a worst case scenario for me... and then iffy at best. but this stuff very nice... would make a killer shake or go well over ice... ;).

just like in the bottle on L, filled right up to top a new bottle from the modded batch.
P1010006.JPG

Going to try this soon. Had some awesome store bought dry rub ribs on Friday night at my aunt's house.

Makes me hungry too.
Made these for a church rib cook-off :numberone:. These were sweet with a little spice, gringo children spicy lol(I'm not into very spicy myself though).
Not bad for precooked and reheated, I really don't like doing that, but if I had some right now I'd eat them :yes:.
Hope you do well Tim.
Screen Shot 2018-08-26 at 6.36.53 PM.png

Latest posts

Back