BC Canada, sign in !

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dog_River

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow BCers,

I am just getting started milling and know there are some other guy's from BC on here. I am in northen BC around Tete Jaune Cache and mostly will be milling beetle kill Lodgepole Pine and some Fir. If your interested sign in and post up what you have been milling and your equipment, should be fun !

Thanks in advance, Dog_River

Hello Daninvan,

I have seen some of your posts. Nice work ! i guess part of the deal is hitting nails etc. now and then. Beautiful area for milling I must say. I had to clear snow for an hour before i could even see my logs.

Thanks for posting.

Dog_River

I live in the Vancouver are but do my milling on my property in Princeton. Here is a short thread on the mill I built

http://www.arboristsite.com/milling-saw-mills/153102.htm

I have since done a bit with my 066, all I have done is make some 6x6" and 6x8" post and beams. But I have a blast doing it.

I am in the planing stages of a logosol knock off to speed up the time it takes to make a post.

BC Canada

Hello from Charlie Lake BC (near Fort St John). Haven't done any milling yet. Been watching and cruising forums for awhile. Recently purchased a Logosol M8 and a 3120 Husky from the proceeds of selling my boat that wasn't getting any use. Can't wait for the 3 feet of snow to be gone so I can get to my weekend getaway. Plan to build a small cabin once I get the feel for this CSM thing. Just found this forum this morning. Already learned a whole bunch. Looking forward to some laughs. Take care.

View attachment 288660
I travel through your area once in a while back and forth to the lower 48. Came through in January 2011 pulling a trailer with a Bobcat and equipment.
Always look with lust in my heart at the fire and beetle killed timber going to waste along the route.
If you can get access to it you got your work cut out for you.
Don't envy you working in the snow, but at least it's dry.

Have fun.

Carl

Yea there certainly is a lot of it. A buddy cut down over 200 beetle killed pine a few miles from me. Nothing really big 16-18" but diameters. We have been cutting it up for firewood until now. But this spring I'll be going at it with the new mill set up. Can't wait, winter has been particularly long this year. Send me a message next time you're through, I'll buy you a beer. :cheers:

We usually take a left at Prince George and go down through Williams Lake and 100 Mile House. We went up that way a couple of times to avoid pulling that grade from the river up through Cache creek and 100 Mile.
One of these days We'll take the trip a little more leisurely and get a chance to visit.
Last trip home we read the ferry schedule wrong, and had a day and a half to get from Seattle to Prince Rupert.
I always thought the roads through Canada were great until that trip. The curves are all flat or reverse supered. Gets your attention with a camper on and pulling a heavy trailer.

There is a lot of timber there going to waste. That pine would be perfect for a log house set up if the economy didn't suck. There used to be a lot of outfits in the states building log houses and selling over seas.
I guess the outfits around 100 Mile are doing ok, I see more of them each trip, and now some around Williams Lake.

Anyway, have fun with what you're doing, and maybe I'll get a chance to stop by.

Carl

I have not been on in a while or milling much. I hope to get going again real soon and have some projects planned. I did a project in the Yukon and was there for three years and have made the trip from BC to the Yukon and out to Alaska many times and I love it every time I go.

Glad to know there are a few guys from around BC. Thanks for checking in !

Dog_River

Southern Vancouver Island! I have been a proud owner of "the milling bug" for about a year now. I run a 371xp with 30" granberg, and a very nice classic 048AV with the mini mill for edging. Mostly been into cedar, and a bit of maple. Have some fir coming down the line as well. Have a lot of building plans ahead of me, and it is a great feeling to be building with my own trees that I took down for garden space. Nothing wasted!!!!! And of course, everyone needs a machete!! Husky 435. Lol

Hello, from Lillooet BC.. I plan on building a ProCut sawmill that'll handle 24'x32" Initially it'll be powered with a chainsaw head, depending on what I have available it could be an old 480 or ported jred 930 super... if I have my way it'll be a 2100 or 3120, but later on I will power it with a 16 hp briggs vanguard 2 cylinder which will be a little less noisy to run and have more torque, and have the option of hydraulics... I'll probably be milling douglas fir, making a little house or something.

Back