Becoming and Arborist

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Energizer bunny of threads...

lxt, the costs I quoted 3 pages ago were accurate, maybe high because a guy who has "done it all and then some" would not need the study guide. CEU's are easy for nonmembers to get and to keep track of, CHEAP. Your alibis are based on bs rumors.

Time to put up or shut up re the test. :lifter:

I can climb as high and as wide as anyone here, and cut and rig well enough, though I'm old enough to be granddaddy to some of you. BFD. That makes me a tree worker. My other skills make me closer to a complete arborist, but I'll never know it all. That's what makes it fun.

The BCMA test is on computers but well proctored. If the CA goes that route, great!

Ladders are good tools, and clearance is an outstanding individual for standing up for standards when unqualified supervisors utter bs. We need more guys who speak out for what they know is right.

Last edited:
Now, this is the way you "doctor" an image to exaggerate your skills - see me leaning against this huge tree again? Must of climbed it - right? :D

attachment.php

Ive been in the tree care buisness for a good while now and am looking into becoming certified i live in PA and work for Bartlett Tree Experts, the other arborists thier told me you have to work under an Arborist for 3 years before you can get certified is this true? Also can you take the test online and where to get study materials.

Hey... this is one of the tallest threads in the index.

You saying you can't climb this thread any higher? :D

I'll go all the way if need be, but I had to quote the original post to remind you guys what the original questions were.

If I were this kid I'd run from my keyboard and never post here again.......

Driving around in a city pickup, looking at trees, getting coffee, lying to residents about trees, that ain't work, its making puppies.

QUOTE]

If this arguement were a football game I'd answer all this trash talking with a simple "scoreboard beeyotch" but it isn't a game so I'll answer with "paycheck beyotch" :D

I'll go all the way if need be, but I had to quote the original post to remind you guys what the original questions were.

If I were this kid I'd run from my keyboard and never post here again.......

Actually, I have talked to Matt on a couple occasions, talked about gettin together to do some tree work, After which I hope he will post & give a report.

Treeseer, I have explained what I meant by the comment you posted & in typical fashion you have distorted it!! Read my response its in here somewhere!!

I called the ISA & downloaded the membership application, I would fall under professional at $105.00 chapter dues for Pen-Del $45.00, the Study guide when I bought it was $89.00, member test $125.00/ nonmember $225.00

Im thinking membership with chapter would be a more cost effective way to go!! Elise.....if I spelled that right is who I talked to...very nice Lady!!

So Treeseer......Im thinking Ill take this test....I wanna see if what you say is true!! If it is....when Im down in Apex (have friends there) Ill owe you one!!

What a thread...............it is the energizer bunny!!

LXT...............

Im thinking membership with chapter would be a more cost effective way to go!! Elise.....if I spelled that right is who I talked to...very nice Lady!!
Here's the schedule for their meeting coming up. Rex Bastian, Bill Elmendorf etc. are very knowledgeable. http://www.penndelisa.org/downloads/Shade Tree Symposium 2008 Brochure.pdf
So Treeseer......Im thinking Ill take this test....I wanna see if what you say is true!! If it is....when Im down in Apex (have friends there) Ill owe you one!! .
Come on down, first one will be on me!

:cheers:

So, almost on the verge of starting a separate thread about what aborists offered, I figured I'd just ask here.

Can't add a poll though, so may start a separate thread later.

The poll idea came to mind after some arborists commented about climbing to be an arborist.

Arboriculture is the selection, planting, care, and removal of individual trees, shrubs, vines, and other perennial woody plants and the study of how they grow and respond to cultural practices and the environment.

If we utilize that description of arboriculture, what facets do you offer, or not offer? What do you study or not study. What's your niche, and what do you omit?

Do you climb?
Do you include ground level pruning and shrubs?
Do you study the environment: both lawn, small plants and soil?
Do you apply pesticides?
Do you select and plant trees?
Do you consult for trees?
Do you consult for trees in the full landscape?

The same things; do you omit them?

How complete, or how limited is your service based on the description provided above for aboriculture.

With Vines, Shrubs and Trees, what percentage of them do you understand the arboriculture needs for.

Which part do you like working with best?

recently contacted ISA about reupping my arborist certification. They have a drive going for new members, a real, inexpensive price. Then I beleive the yearly membership is based on a percentage of the company gross. Does anyone know the details? Not cheap anymore ?

Not true. That sounds like TCIA. ISA is a flat fee no matter how much the company grosses.

As for the never-ending argument that Certified Arborists should be required to climb, are all jack-wagons, and don't know squat... there is much more to arboriculture than pruning and removing trees. But for those aspects of arboriculture, someone please show me some unsafe or improper techniques in the Certified Arborist Study Guide, the ANSI Standards, or the ISA Best Management Practices because that is where the questions for that exam come from. ISA is rooted in science. And for the professors and book writers, I'm sure there is a hack somewhere, but most of them are basing their writings off scientific studies. I have learned more about pruning and planting from Ed Gilman than I could learn with 3,000 years of experience; and I could care less if he has ever climbed or planted a tree personally.

Back