Bed weight without using alot of space

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess that winter I plowed snow there was about 2000 lbs of salt in the bed to begin with.
12j.jpg
uk3.jpg

Just remember to lift your feet in case of collision...heh...I drive a van for work with a LOT of parts in a rack behind me, I get asked that ? a lot if crap ever hits me....and it doesn't

Here is my example.

This was a 3500 lb wedge placed aginst the bulkhead and strapped down. After a 40 mph hard breaking. No collision. The wedge rocked to one side and poked through. and pushed the back of the cab in 5-6" has a slight bulge in the back seat. I keep waiting for the day the back window decides to pop.

I am not trying to be a **** just want you and yours to be safe.

Thats why I put the 4 toggle bolts on it
I welded 4 eye hooks at the corners​

I know it works but in a collision that thing would do some damage.
Sounds like salt/sand works good too.
if you have a plow it maybe good to put a 6-8" round pipe with caps for rear bumper.
Fill it with steel rod for winter and take out in summer.
My brother used to put tractor weights in his without bolts. now he has fuel tanks and tool boxes.
My brother had a truck rear end in the back of the truck and stopped quickly. bent the heck out of the bed,
Chad

I had a log come through the back window of my old nissan, scared the $hit out of me! Secure that steel properly, your life could depend on it.

I had a 5th wheel hitch in my truck and had a piece of steel plate that slid into the rails, I threaded the steel plate and bolted the steel in thru the hitch holes then bolted some other pieces to it, nobody moved. Loose stuff is deadly,,,,
BBB

when plowing snow you don't need that much weight in the truck. all the weight that is needed is to keep traction with the rear tires and keep the back end from bouncing while in momentum motion! for road travel and equal weight for the ride is to just off set the long arm reach of the plow when lifted during transport! heavier shocks along with extra overloads for the front end is a necessary upgrade to do more than your personal drive way!
Perhaps I should have checked in with you 30 plus years ago when I started plowing snow for some pointers. This is not my first rodeo with outfitting a plow truck. Best one I had was a snowman brand plow mounted on the back, it was around 800 lbs hanging off the back end and would go most anywhere
This truck was ordered and decked out specifically for plowing snow. The plate wont go anywhere unless bed rips off which is a possibility,though remote
I've thought about hooking to the fifth wheel removable ball with a two inch tube welded that drops down in the hole and locks in place. More to think about

Perhaps I should have checked in with you 30 plus years ago when I started plowing snow for some pointers. This is not my first rodeo with outfitting a plow truck. Best one I had was a snowman brand plow mounted on the back, it was around 800 lbs hanging off the back end and would go most anywhere
This truck was ordered and decked out specifically for plowing snow. The plate wont go anywhere unless bed rips off which is a possibility,though remote
I've thought about hooking to the fifth wheel removable ball with a two inch tube welded that drops down in the hole and locks in place. More to think about
"chucker said:
when plowing snow you don't need that much weight in the truck. all the weight that is needed is to keep traction with the rear tires and keep the back end from bouncing while in momentum motion! for road travel and equal weight for the ride is to just off set the long arm reach of the plow when lifted during transport! heavier shocks along with extra overloads for the front end is a necessary upgrade to do more than your personal drive way! " .... ?? so whats your point?

hope your never in an accident with that plate in the back... you think those little open hook turnbuckles are going to hold that plate? :laugh: those hooks would open right up... the way you have them hooked they don't keep the plate from moving, they're lifting the plate... and if the plate lifts, then the turnbuckles are loose.

im not saying the plate is a bad idea, just the way you're "securing" or not securing it is what most have an issue with

Over 20 years managing a body shop and I never saw something pass through the box wall, the cab wall, the seat, and then injure the driver/passengers. Even a 4x8, 4 inch thick concrete slab failed to enter the cab when the truck hit a another at road speed (but it did fold the crap out'a stuff). Lighter, smaller stuff sittin' back by the tailgate hit the backglass, broke it, and a couple even entered the cab... none hit the driver (but I reckon that could happen). Just sayin'...

It is always better t look back on something and say" good thing id did". Instead of " I should have.

All I know Is if their was a person in the back seat of My crew cab in the pic They would have had a sore back.

Dad had a 92 Chevy 2500 2wd a posi that everyone thought was 4wd due to its height. So one day he came across a 3/4" 5x10 steel sheet if he hauled it off. A few min with the all purpose heat wrench and it was cut out to fit around the wheel wells and 2' off the back. Had a ATC terratrack forklift and a gantry chainfall to install.

99 we had a blizzard and about 10 am I set out a chain. Pulled 6 4x4's out of the ditches. Each one said something to the effect of thank goodness someone else with 4 wheel drive came by. One guy refused to belive a truck with 2wd pulled him that he crawled under it to see

As far as a sheet of steel going through the bed. There is a big difference to something accelerating and hitting a single point half way up the bed wall than something that spans the entire bottom joint, let alone around the wheel wells as well.

I've plowed a fair amount of snow in my day. Never needed that much weight for traction. I'm not saying it's not effective, just overkill imho.

My brother was in an accident years ago. He was driving a Nissan 4x4 SUV something or other, he fell asleep and went into a deep ditch at about 60 mph. He launched off a driveway before he hit a maple tree head on. He never got hurt from the impact, what did the damage was the 12' of logging chain he had sitting in the rear, when he hit the driveway and became airborne the chain went up in the air at the same time as he hit the tree. Chain flew ahead and wrapped abut his head. He looked like a biker gang kicked the crap put of his face and neck.

Latest posts

Back