Beech Tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm on the side of wait and see next year and save your money. I have seen many weird things happen when it comes to tree resilience but never a beech with crown dieback ever come back. Now what i have seen is homeowners dumping thousands into a tree in hopes of res-erecting it. Not to mention this looks like a very old forest grown beech that no longer has the forest around it? Nor the soil microbes,nutrients,fungi, deer turd bunny pee you get the picture.

woodville said:
this looks like a very old forest grown beech that no longer has the forest around it? Nor the soil microbes,nutrients,fungi, deer turd bunny pee you get the picture.
and a healthy picture it is, if it's maintained. Beech roots need those associates. :)

That lawn is looking very expensive right now. Work on the rest of the trees--they all got the treatment by Mr. Excavator/ArborAuthority. :dizzy:

Have you paid that joker yet? Sounds like a case of malpractice. If he said that beech'd be fine, he took you for a bundle by fraud.:monkey:

:help: Well I have a certified arborist coming out tommorow...so I should get a good indication then of what the verdict is.

I see the general verdict is that the tree is probably dead...would it make a difference if the roots have been buried and ripped up Since last August..or does that make it worse?? I didn't know if people thought the roots were damage within the past few weeks and was showing these sign quickly??.It just started showing signs recently (that I noticed)

When it comes to trees you have to think of time a little different. Sometimes it takes years to show any sign of a problem. Construction injury is a bit like drought injury, generally the tree has enough stored starches that the true extent is not seen until the plant is weaken and can't replenish or replace it's needs. A lot of construction damage is not seen until long after the homeowner moves in, bases his landscape around the left over trees, picks out the patio furniture gets the new john deere lawn mower and then looks up and notices their are no leafs on the top branches and calls the local tree co. After reading all the posts you are better informed than most, but remember a tree well should have been installed long before the hydro seeder came in and it is most likely gonna cost more to have the tree dead wooded than removed. Their is no grantee or silver bullet treatment any were and hopefully we aren't seeing something that the cert. arborist will see on site.

Nh

In N.H.?? are you near Keene.....If so Call Wynn Johnson at Keene Tree Service for a second opinion, he runs an incredible company that as been around for over 30 years, and He is a past President of the N.H. arborist association, he is also nice guy to boot.......

www.dillontree.com

woodville said:
When it comes to trees you have to think of time a little different. Sometimes it takes years to show any sign of a problem. Construction injury is a bit like drought injury, generally the tree has enough stored starches that the true extent is not seen until the plant is weaken and can't replenish or replace it's needs. A lot of construction damage is not seen until long after the homeowner moves in, bases his landscape around the left over trees, picks out the patio furniture gets the new john deere lawn mower and then looks up and notices their are no leafs on the top branches and calls the local tree co. After reading all the posts you are better informed than most, but remember a tree well should have been installed long before the hydro seeder came in and it is most likely gonna cost more to have the tree dead wooded than removed.

Good post:popcorn: Well put :)

Dadatwins said:
Good post:popcorn: Well put :)

Ain't that the truth--yesterday I got called tolook at a white oak that was 3/4 dead from trenching--they wanted to know if I could save it.:bang:

The tuliptrees nearby were 1/3 dead and they did not even notice it. This all happening 3 yrs after construction, right on cue. We'll try to invigorate those, but odds are not great.

newhome, made sure your arborist has a soil probe, to find out how much fill is on the roots. Did you read the Treatment of Construction Damage in the link below?

Well... the aborist stated if it was his yard he would have it cut down. He told me it may be able to be saved but had three strikes against it. 1. Roots buired and damaged. 2. No flare to tree and 3. It's a beech tree. (Which are sensitive trees) It then came down to a cost issue. It will cost me $1000 to remove or upwards to $3000 - $4000 to save. Needless to say....good bye Beech :(

He said it was something he typically saw on new construction sites and wish ppl would call he before instead of after. If I had been more educated about the situation I would have, but unfortunately I learned the hard way.

He told me the best time to take down the tree is in the winter so there is no damage to the lawn etc...

Thanks for all the input.....and next time I WILL be calling an aborist prior to listening to an excavator!

What about the rest of your trees? If you wait, it may be too late.

:heart:

$1000 to remove that beech? In the winter, in NH? Sounds fair enough. You got a woodstove?

Latest posts

Back