best bench grinder for sharpening chains?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tree94

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Long story short, I don't have the patience to hand file and my hands get carpal tunnel when I do...

Looking for info on the best bench grinder to purchase.
I've searched through this forum a bit and found some old post's hyping up the Oregon 511.
Wondering if that's still the best grinder on the market right now in 2017?

Thanks guys!
Russ

you could spend 100$ or 400-500$ ,the northern 100$ works well for most.i have done 2 or 300 chain sharpening,s, with it.

fc534f2efedfec2b4a5058c0de5e57a7.jpg
5e270cdb9ce028f7af782db4f5ba5467.jpg

I have had 511A but if you can afford it it's worth it
The stones are much better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

e809a861bbb4b3c0a515b34bfefd914a.jpg

After 50 or so chains and 2 .404 205 drive link that needed double passes and rakers set to .032
Stays really clean
The vac pulls 95% of all the sparks

You have a nice set up....

Did you ever try the CBN wheels???

Well I have not tried the Stihl grinder...... I do have the newest Oregon grinder, the 520-120 model.....I was in the same excact position you were in, with my little 18-month old girl taking up a lot of my time, drinking beer and hand filing chains in the garage at night don't cut it anymore LOl......

I was 100% against grinder, I only thought hand filing would get the correct profile on a chain....I decided to give the grinder a try and well my opinion was wrong, frankly......you can turn out an absolutely GREAT cutting chain, with all the angles the same......like with any tool however, there is a brief learning curve....if you can be patient threw this "learning" period and get to know the grinder, you will be shocked at how good a chain can turn out....

I won't get into it, but you can go even a step further and eventually get CBN wheels that stay the same shape forever.....

I will leave you with some pics of chains I have ground....

Stihl RS(chisel chain)
IMG_1358.JPG IMG_2024.JPG

You can also just "touch-up" a chain like this, and not hardly remove any material....
IMG_1667.JPG

Stihl RM(semi-chisel)
IMG_2022.JPG IMG_2023.JPG

I have 3/8 - .404 one for the big chains and really like it
So I will be getting.325 wheel
Diamond wheel is brand I have

Yes sir, mine are diamond wheel brand also..... the first CBN I got was 3/16 for the 3/8 chain.....not to long after I used it a few times, I knew I had to get an 1/8 for the smaller .325 and lo-pro chains....

I tell ya they are great, but I do still use the stone wheels......I like using the stones on really bad "rocked" chains, and cleaning out gullets that are really bad.......

Is that Stihl grinder a lot better than the Oregon you had, in your opinion?????

Built like a tank
A lot heavier
Motor seems to be over kill
But I really like there stones
They cut really fast and don't blue the cutters but seem to need reshaped more often

I use the .404 wheels for rakers and get along very good

They hinge is the part on the Stihl that that really stands out
Ball and socket type that is fully adjustable

But most grinders do a good job it more so in the operators

Yep that the best answer...... the operator can make or break a grinder, same with saws and any other equipment!!!!

Ive found out that that "learning curve" is for real. A caliper has helped me. I finally am cutting straight lol. Does anyone have to readjust the left hand cutter length after doing the right hand? Seemed wierd but i needed an almost half turn to set the teeth equal.

Back