Best brand of file?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I second the cryo freeze. Its done in Drag cars, race cars, brake rotors, etc. Its done mainly to transmissions in drag cars. Before the tranny usually had to be replaced after one run, but after cryo treatment the last several if not a dozen runs before blowing. What happens is the metal molecules are brought closer together and are stronger to wear.[/QUOTE

shouldn't you freeze the stock, that the part is machined from first, then make the part? It seem to me if you freeze the part it it would change the actual sizing, when we are measuring in thousands.

No, I don't know exactly why but the reason I believe is that it's a controlled freeze and to bring it back to normal temperature its done slowly.

It really works, just search on google and read about it.

You can do it to anything metal practically and end up with a stonger/better product. I've been waiting to do it to some hand tools.

"Best" files are the best. I've used Oregon Blues, and Save Edges. "Best" files are hard to find. I think Madsen's sells them. They come in a plain light blue box. They cut better and outlast SaveEdge by a huge margin.

Mad dog

Does anybody know if they still make mad dog files. My buddy gave me one a while back and I can't find anything close to it any more

I use Mad Dog files. I get them from my local Stihl dealer.They are alot better than the Stihl or Oregon files that I used before

I second the cryo freeze. Its done in Drag cars, race cars, brake rotors, etc. Its done mainly to transmissions in drag cars. Before the tranny usually had to be replaced after one run, but after cryo treatment the last several if not a dozen runs before blowing. What happens is the metal molecules are brought closer together and are stronger to wear.[/QUOTE

shouldn't you freeze the stock, that the part is machined from first, then make the part? It seem to me if you freeze the part it it would change the actual sizing, when we are measuring in thousands.

no because then you have stressed the metal again the cryo is a destress process that is why it is done with with firearms.
machining metal stress's metal it's about stress relief

I see that some people here use the pferd. From pferds USA site I see that they have too different 3/16 (4,8mm) file smoth and regular, what do you think that will give the best edge. I also heard alot off good things about a file brand who just was named sharp but I dont think that they still exist does anyone know?

I use pferd double bevels. Work and last.

I'm trying a Pferd, but I don't like it as well as the Oberg double-bevel files I got from Bailey's years ago. Did Oberg stop making them? Were they just too hard to wear out? I still have a few, and I ain't lettin' loose of 'em.

I use Nicholson Files when I can find them.Stihls are good.I bought some Oregons a while back at Lowes.Used a Brand new 3/16" oregon the other day and it started bending on the first tooth.:confused2: Never had that to happen before and I've sharpened alot of chains

I use Nicholson Files when I can find them.Stihls are good.I bought some Oregons a while back at Lowes.Used a Brand new 3/16" oregon the other day and it started bending on the first tooth.:confused2: Never had that to happen before and I've sharpened alot of chains

Bending or flexing?

Bending.Metal doesn't seem to have any temper.Most files I've used would probably snap before they bent.

I picked up a 3/16'' Nicholson and tried to bend it this evening in the shop.Budged but sprung back.Found the Oregon and bent it to a 45 degree angle.My Helper looked at me and said why didn't that file Break.:laugh:Think I'll try to bend it into a circle tomorrow.I'll try to post pictures.I have another brand new pack.I'm gonna see how they compare to the one I"m trying to sharpen with now.If they bend I'm contacting Oregon.

IMO Save Edge cut the quickest but Pfered leave the best finish and the sharpest edge.

+1. I square file and this is certainly the case. But unfortunately, the angles on the double bevel files are just different enough that I can't use the two different brands on the same cutters.

For round files I use the nicholsons from my hardware store and they trump oregon files handily.

I'm trying a Pferd, but I don't like it as well as the Oberg double-bevel files I got from Bailey's years ago. Did Oberg stop making them? Were they just too hard to wear out? I still have a few, and I ain't lettin' loose of 'em.

Your post inspired me to search for Oberg files. Interesting.... Oberg began making files in 1850. They were acquired by Bahco in 1975. Bahco itself was aquired by Snap-on and later became part of SNA Europe (one of many other acquisitions), which is a Snap-on company.

Bahco DOES apparently produce saw chain files, sold through Snap-on and other outlets. No clue if they equal the Oberg products with which you were familiar.

Lance

We used to sell Pferd back in the 80's and they were just the best. IIRC they made a double ended file too and those were even better than the regular shanked files. The last Pferd I bought were good but not as good as the old stock ones I still have. The only other file I've personally seen that cut with Pferd was Simonds and those are really hard to find.

Bret,

Simonds manufactures a number of tools and still produces files, including those for saw chain. While back east for 5 years taking care of family members I frequently passed by the Simonds home facility in Fitchburg, Massachusetts, without ever knowing just what they produced...,, until now. It appears Simonds is "the oldest cutting tool manufacturer in North America", established back in 1832.

Although headquartered in Fitchburg, Simonds has other locations throughout the US (OR, MI, KY, AL, SC), Canadian locations is QC and BC, Latin America, Germany and England, as shown here.

I'll be tracking down some Simonds files when next I need some. Thanks for the mention....

Lance

Your post inspired me to search for Oberg files. Interesting.... Oberg began making files in 1850. They were acquired by Bahco in 1975. Bahco itself was aquired by Snap-on and later became part of SNA Europe (one of many other acquisitions), which is a Snap-on company.

Bahco DOES apparently produce saw chain files, sold through Snap-on and other outlets. No clue if they equal the Oberg products with which you were familiar.

Lance

Thanks for the interesting info.

One thing, probably important, about the Oberg double-bevel files is that the edges were somewhat rounded, rather than coming to a sharp point. Therefore there was no sharp point to get dull right away. They could file away a LOT of chain.

hillwilliam,

Is there a model number for the file you prefer, and are you set up to photograph closeups of the edges?

I was ready to settle in with a book last night when your latest post arrived. I spent the next couple hours searching for detail on the Oberg double bevel file...., trying to find a closeup pic showing the slightly rounded edges, hoping to perhaps find some NOS or some in-production files with a similar design. No joy.

For some strange reason, sharpening files get no respect from photographers...., no "money-shot-closeups". Where are the Saw File Swimsuit Calenders? :dunno:

I tried to lift a pic from the Save Edge website which shows a better/closer shot of their double-bevel. I could get the URL of the thumbnail but struck out with capturing that of the enlargement as they have it protected and a few minutes of changing code around failed to trick the code into submitting to my wishes. If you go to this Save Edge page and click on the right chisel bit thumb, it appears to show the files corners have been relieved. Is this similar to the Oberg? Save Edge says their edges and sides are single-cut. Are the Obergs double?

I did come up with a plan to further my investigation, but it would help greatly if you could provide a model number and/or perhaps closeups of the Oberg corners without being inconvenienced.

Be well,

Lance

Latest posts

Back