Best brand of file?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oberg

Hey Lance,

Here ya go - if I can remember how to post images:

These files definitely have a more rounded edge than any others I've seen, including SaveEdge. Unless SaveEdge changed very recently. The rounded edge on these is not really the same as a goofy file; it's still a double-bevel file. My photos aren't great - too bad my photographer son left yesterday. Hope this helps, anyway.

hillwilliam,

You did great..., Just what I was looking for!

Armed with your information, I futzed around a bit tonight. PM on the way. Let me know what you think.

The next avenue I follow involves enlisting help from a European friend. This could take some time. Fun though..., I do like challenges.

More when I have it,

Lance

I would be interested in a dozen or 2 if you can get them.

The viaala file that the shop in washington carries is a double ended like the old oberg style and the edge is rounded almost like a goofy. They do seem to hold up pretty good.

Save edge and the last photo is the vialla oberg and save edge

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Mike,

How recently did you buy the Viaala (is that how it's spelled, or is it Vialla?) files from Madsen's? I spoke to Steve (I believe it was) at Madsen's on Wednesday morning, inquiring about the Oberg files. They don't have any. He said that they'd had some made in the Oberg style, but checked stock and were out of those also. Looking at your Vialla pics, I'd assume those are the ones they no longer had, but I could certainly be wrong in that assumption.

Did you order Vialla double bevels by name, or is that what they sent? The online catalog I've looked at didn't specify files by brand name.

The two files look very close to being the same in your pics. How close are they in fact, and do the Vialla files seem to be as long lasting as Obergs?

Thanks,

Lance

I bought them last year. That is the only brand they carry in double ended and double bevels. I can't remember the spelling for sure on it. I'll have to look at it again to see that. I think the obergs are better but since they're so hard to find it's a toss up. I won't use the obergs on work chain since I don't want to wear them out too quick. I did find a bahco file with the same part number as the oberg. They're available through snap on and other auto tool suppliers.

goofy

My apologies for being off the topic of BRAND (although this was either filed with a SaveEdge or a Pferd).

To answer a question that came to me by PM, and trying to get around the techno-geekery of putting a photo in a PM, this is what a not-so-pretty goofy chain looks like. It was a junk chain, hanging on a nail for years, and probably originally round-ground. Needed a chain for a 26-incher, so I cut it down to fit and sharpened with a goofy. Ugly and fast, like some of my old girlfriends. And goofy, like me.

I got to go with Grobet files.
You can get them to 72 RC!!!!!!

Good high speed steel is 62-63.

The best T-15 is 67. If you know what T-15 is you will know what I'm talking about.

Don't know if they cryogenic treat or not.
It is not a cure all.
If you sent a chain to get treated and it got harder couldn't you file it with an cryogenic treated file.

Cryogenic treatment helps. But in percentage points. Not multiples in how long a file lasts.
A point or two maybe.
From engineered studies.

It helps in gun barrel wear.

I got the test somewhere.

But the barrel wasn't harder. Which is needed in metal removal.

Grobet files are very uniform. Smooth cutting.
Rap it against a piece of steel everycoue of strokes to clean.
My $.02. From 35 years of metal working with a lot of exotics.

Seems Oregon files just don't get respect here. About a year back I got a dozen 7/32" Oregon 532979 Chipmaster and a dozen 5/32" Oregon 532955 Chipmaster files from Amazon. Swiss made, Buck & small change to buck & 1/2 each. Single cut.

I've been using them in a Granberg "File-N-Joint" guide, one file of each size, and just can't wear them out. That guide helps, IME.
They cut well and last, and cost a bunch less than some (e.g. Stihl) alternatives. I had the same thing happen with some "Laser" files I got back around 1980- dirt cheap, sharpened just fine, and lasted forever. Took 35 years to go through a dozen of each, with the same Granberg guide. Plenty good enough for me, not looking for bragging rights.

All my chains get sharpened with a file, of course. :yes:

I'm a big Oregon file fan, that's my file of choice. I go through dozens and dozens of files a year. When they just start to dull in the trash they go. I despise sharpening chains anymore. I get them for about $11 a dozen and don't think twice before i wing it into the weeds.

I don't know if its this roll of chain I have now, but the cutters on one side are so much harder than the cutters on the other. Anyone else having this problem? I think it Oregon 3/8 50 lgx

Back