Best chain & bar for MS290?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BluCllrSchlr

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
So I inherited my Dad's MS290. Last night was the first chance I had to check it out. Fortunately, it fired right up w/ some fresh gas, so it is good to go. It has probably only burned a couple of tanks of gas, so it is near mint condition. It has a 20" bar w/ a .325 triple hump safety chain(that has some rocked teeth). So I know I'm going to get a couple of fresh chains for it tomorrow.

I already have an 026(16" bar, .325) & a 660(25" bar, 3/8"). This saw will see some light firewood & clean-up work. I figure now is the time to change it to change it over to 3/8" if I'm going to.

So what do you guys recommend? Should I stay with the .325 or change it over to 3/8"? Any thoughts on what chain/sprocket/bar is the sweet set-up for this saw?

My 290 wore a 16 and an 18 with .325 RSC non-safety chain and did well. I didn't like how it bogged buried in hardwood with a 20. Then I muffler modded it. Then it had enough muscle to bury the 20. :)

Then I traded it for an 026. :D

20" lgx
or somekinda 20" oregon round cutter chain if you cut dirty wood

I would run an 18" Stihl bar, 3/8th .050 Stihl RM yellow label chain. 7pin rim.

Ditch the .325 setup. You'll like it alot better running 3/8th. I feel you get better response with an 18" bar than you do a 20" with a 290. JMO.

Latest posts

Back