Best chain grinding angles on Stihl RS ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll have to wait to watch all of those when I'm on wifi to time them.

I'm willing to bet that is the wheel for 1/4 and 3/8 picco. What are the last four numbers on the part number on it? 7010 is the wheel for standard 3/8 and .325, 7013 is for 3/8 and 1/4 picco.

Here is the wheel on my grinder looks like may be the pico wheel
Does anyone have an online source for the wheels ,my saw shop did not have them ,just silvey wheels and oregon ones ,Madsons maybe ?stihl usg wheel 004.JPG

Here is the wheel on my grinder looks like may be the pico wheel
Does anyone have an online source for the wheels ,my saw shop did not have them ,just silvey wheels and oregon ones ,Madsons maybe ?View attachment 387898
The local Stihl dealer should be able to order them for you. I've converted to CBN wheels. Let me look and see what I have around.

Even round filing, I get better results than off the roll
I watched all the videos... there sure wasn't much difference between the RS and the resharpened RS. The converted square sure seemed to self feed better and was a touch faster.
And why do you think that was ?
Both resharpened chains were ground on the USG at the same angles

when you sharpen the right and left cutters are you switching from -10 to + 10 ? looks like my stihl sheet recommends -15 and +15 ,going 25 on the top plate is closer to what square off the roll is also if want to play with some angles

when you sharpen the right and left cutters are you switching from -10 to + 10 ? looks like my stihl sheet recommends -15 and +15 ,going 25 on the top plate is closer to what square off the roll is also if want to play with some angles
could you elaborate on exactly what changes when you got from -10 +10 to -15 +15....ive tried both and don't really notice much difference.

could you elaborate on exactly what changes when you got from -10 +10 to -15 +15....ive tried both and don't really notice much difference.
15 should be a little sharper ,steeper angle ,in softwoods can tell the difference ,not sure on harder wood though ,it will dull faster also ,zero will last the longest ,but not cut as good ,when i mill i run zero ,and a 10 degree top plate ,and 40 on the tilt ,just depends what you are doing i guess ,my chains last all day milling with those angles unless i have a rock stuck in the log ,the shorter angles also give me a nice finish when i mill ,everything is a compromise on chain

Even round filing, I get better results than off the roll

And why do you think that was ?
Both resharpened chains were ground on the USG at the same angles
Well, since this thread is comparing sharpening angles on a USG it is good information that sharpening it on the grinder is at least as good as off the roll. I don't file, I don't have time for it and my customers certainly won't pay for it. Being able to confirm that you are getting at least as good of performance on a re-ground chain makes my customers happy. I've already done the same tests and found the same thing.

Well, since this thread is comparing sharpening angles on a USG it is good information that sharpening it on the grinder is at least as good as off the roll. I don't file, I don't have time for it and my customers certainly won't pay for it. Being able to confirm that you are getting at least as good of performance on a re-ground chain makes my customers happy. I've already done the same tests and found the same thing.
Post #25 - I was asking you why do you think the RSH was slightly faster than the RS, both being sharpened with the same angles on the same grinder.

I grind customers chains all the time, if they bring a loop.
If its not rocked and on the bar, I file ........... its faster

Just orderd a metal grinding wheel for the usg ,got 3/16 ,maybe my chains will be happy now ,lol

Forester Borizon Grinding Wheel - 5-34" x 3/16" x 12mm #Bw5341812
5-3-4-grinding-wheel-3-16-thickness-part-bw5341812-2.jpg

Post #25 - I was asking you why do you think the RSH was slightly faster than the RS, both being sharpened with the same angles on the same grinder.

I grind customers chains all the time, if they bring a loop.
If its not rocked and on the bar, I file ........... its faster
I added inflection to the comment that I shouldn't have. I apologize. As veterans of the internet, you and I both know it happens. :D Anyhooo... the question was answered when we found out it was 1/2 skip.

Not rocked customer chains? What is that? :chainsaw:

Just orderd a metal grinding wheel for the usg ,got 3/16 ,maybe my chains will be happy now ,lol

Forester Borizon Grinding Wheel - 5-34" x 3/16" x 12mm #Bw5341812
5-3-4-grinding-wheel-3-16-thickness-part-bw5341812-2.jpg
Who'd you order from? I waited over a year from one place to never deliver it. I ordered my wheels from diamondwheelinc .

whats the advantage of a pink wheel over the normal grey wheels that I get from stihl?

Back