Best Chain, Oregon, Woodland, Charlton or Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Triple T-

Now that some time has passed since you got the LGX, how do you feel about the decision? Have you or anyone tried other flavors? Comments from anyone else one who has the best quality chain versus best value for the $$??

CMS

May not get him to answer. He hasn't visited AS since the afternoon of August 2010.

But I do like STIHL, and OREGON chains. I've got some new Woodland Pro, but after comparing them with the OREGON, I put them back for hard times.

Put me in the camp that says Stihl is the best chain, and the best bargain. It is harder than the other brands, hence holds it's edge longer. The longer the chain stays sharp, the more time you spend cutting vs. sharpening. The chain will also last longer because you don't have to grind as much off it off when re-sharpening it.

So true :msp_wink:

My experience is limited to LGX and RS. When I bought my 372 I asked the dealer if he was putting an LGX chain on. He said, nope, I'm putting on a Stihl RS. I asked what's up with that, I want an LGX. He said you'll see.
Admittedly, I only have an hour on the chain but the cutters are 99% as sharp as they were new and the chain hasn't stretched much at all. An LGX I'd probably be touching up about now, and most definitely tightening.

I think Stihl makes the best chain, but its also the hardest (that I've tried) on files. Oregon LGX is good stuff and I really don't have any complaints about Bailey's WP. Semi-chisel will stay sharp longer and is easier to sharpen, but not as quick as sharp chisel. Due to the wood that I cut most often, I look for semi-chisel, and Stihl RM in particular.

yeah, old thread, but worth rehashing

Put me in the camp that says Stihl is the best chain, and the best bargain. It is harder than the other brands, hence holds it's edge longer. The longer the chain stays sharp, the more time you spend cutting vs. sharpening. The chain will also last longer because you don't have to grind as much off it off when re-sharpening it.

:agree2:

Used to run husqy chain, but for $8-10 more i decided to try some stihl, and very impressed with it. Dealer recommend it to me as well. Holds its edge longer, although can be hard on files because of that. I'll be using stihl for now on (not an every day cutter, otherwise price may play a part in that decision.)

Just for reference: WoodlandPRO is a rebranded Carlton chain, i.e. a Carlton chain in a WoodlandPRO cardboard box.

The tie-straps are stamped "Carlton"

Last edited:
It's funny in spite of our brand prefences, the closest thing you'll get to consensus here is that pro saws are vastly superior to consumer saws. I see chains in the same light, except the only pro chain is Stihl, and all other chains fall in the consumer class as measurebly inferior.

I bleed Husky orange when it comes to saws, but when it comes to chains, Stihl is the only one worth considering.

All the chains that I've have bought over the years (there have been a lot) Stihl has been the very best that money could buy.

Ya know, I'll agree with that statement. I have yet to be dissapointed with any Stihl chain.

Carlton has been close though, but my criteria isn't everybodys.

The only chain Oregon makes, that is worth half what they charge, is the Multi-cut, Which of course costs about double than a loop of LGX.
If they dropped the price to just a smidge over LGX, it's all I would run.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Back