Best cities to be an arborist?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarsonMoss

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
when I say best I mean weather, is there a lot of work, a lot of competition, does it rain a lot, long winters/snow, wealth of the city (since tree work is not cheap), is there a lot of greenery or is it more arid, is the city booming with growth, cost of living..guess that covers everything.

I currently live in Nashville , not a bad place to be an arborist at all, cheap, lots of trees, its booming, mild winters but it's my hometown and I'm sick of it... Planning for a move in a few weeks. Anyone have a take on Denver or Austin for tree work?

Thanks

Seems like Nashville would be big enough that moving to another part of town would be a significant change in scenery???

What are you looking for besides work in your new location? What kind of work are you looking for? I'd suspect you can find utility line tree work about anywhere without too much difficulty.

Denver area is pretty good, but cost of living is high. Good luck finding a place to run your business out of and still keep your prices competitive. If you're planning on working for an established business make sure you'll male enough to cover the high rent here.

Good to know. I have lots of family in Idaho and am considering moving there if I get burned out on Colorado. Is there year-round work there like I'm used to in Colorado and California?
There can be if things are scheduled right. This year was a pretty bad winter here, the worst since the 80's for snow so work was part time for a few months. Last year was full time through the winter

Denver area is pretty good, but cost of living is high. Good luck finding a place to run your business out of and still keep your prices competitive. If you're planning on working for an established business make sure you'll male enough to cover the high rent here.
Really I figured Boulder would be just as expensive if not more. But I'm doing it the old fashion and cheap way. My truck, trailer and basic equipment. Also maybe an extra person to take on takedowns with. Not looking to get rich quick ATM but you think I can do alright. Hell I'd even travel to work jobs in Boulder if it meant I'd stay overnight for a night or so.

I'm old and I remember the old days when the Dallas metroplex was good...it sucks now. Illegal aliens ruined the tree business in Dallas, Texas. That's why I moved somewhat east of there back in the mid nineties and started over in a different community. Dallas still just plain old sucks.

Really I figured Boulder would be just as expensive if not more. But I'm doing it the old fashion and cheap way. My truck, trailer and basic equipment. Also maybe an extra person to take on takedowns with. Not looking to get rich quick ATM but you think I can do alright. Hell I'd even travel to work jobs in Boulder if it meant I'd stay overnight for a night or so.
Boulder is in the same metro area as Denver. It's less than an hour from downtown Denver to downtown Boulder. Many commute into Boulder since rent is even higher is Boulder than many of Denver's suburbs.

I

Northern California is great fun for work. Some of the biggest trees in the world and great seasonal change..... But then the politics ruin it all.....

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

Boulder is great! The sun shines constantly. It gets coldish but there is work year round. Where I work the pay is more than fair. Housing is pretty expensive tho. When I first moved here I had trouble finding a cheap place. The trees are tall but be ready to prune lots of small trees too. I grew up in austin and that's where I will die. I was making less in austin but you could find more affordable housing. Austin is HOT. There's summer, super summer, hell then 2 weeks of winter. The trees are beautiful. Texas live oaks are my favorite tree to climb. I would strongly recommended austin. The girls are beautiful and hardly ever fully clothed. Just my two cents. Good luck!

Boulder is great! The sun shines constantly. It gets coldish but there is work year round. Where I work the pay is more than fair. Housing is pretty expensive tho. When I first moved here I had trouble finding a cheap place. The trees are tall but be ready to prune lots of small trees too. I grew up in austin and that's where I will die. I was making less in austin but you could find more affordable housing. Austin is HOT. There's summer, super summer, hell then 2 weeks of winter. The trees are beautiful. Texas live oaks are my favorite tree to climb. I would strongly recommended austin. The girls are beautiful and hardly ever fully clothed. Just my two cents. Good luck!

Welcome to Arboristsite,
Jeff

Back