Best firewood saw full stop.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now shouldn't we all say he needs two saws. The 50cc and the 70cc. When your on AS it happens sooner or later.

Well, those are all good comments. Every body has their point of view - I guess that's why there are so darned many saws to choose from.

A couple of last considerations for the smaller saws 50-60 cc's. For those of us who are of smaller stature (me I'm 5'7") the smaller, trimmer saws are easier to use hence I feel they are safer. I feel the little slower cutting speed gives you a chance to react in a bucking cut so as not to pinch the saw so often.

And even if the limbing goes quicker with a 70cc saw as PA Plumber says - I'd rather have it be more controlled. Heck - making firewood is sorta fun . . . I'm in no hurry to have it end all that soon. :greenchainsaw:

Al

Good post. I repped a lot of good points lately and will "hit" ya when I get reloaded. (If I haven't already "hit" you recently. I don't keep track.)

I used to fell with my big saw and limb with the little saw. It just made it easier to keep one saw in my hands all the time so I made it work. After a while, I started to prefer it.

Working on firewood with a big saw was not a love on first cut situation. Only after logging through the summer have I come to prefer it.

For firewood, I cut skinny standing-dead lodgepole almost exclusively, so a 50cc saw is a perfect choice for me. It does the job with minimal effort. Were there actually any hardwoods in my neighborhood, or if I cut many trees bigger than 12-14 inches, I'd likely augment my MS270 with something in the 70cc range. Your choice, IMO, depends entirely on what "all kinds of wood" means.

Oh, and this is my first post here after months of lurking. Thanks to all you guys (and the few gals I've spotted) for your knowledge. How I've managed to avoid buying a second saw by now, I'll never know... :cheers:

If you've settled on a 50 cc saw ( and that's not a bad thing ) , then get a ms 260 or 260 pro. Mighty handy for limbing, although a wee bit small for bucking and felling. They'll get the job done up till 30 in. or so , but things would go alot quicker with a 361 ( of course you have to tote the extra 2 lbs. around ) Honestly, if all you are cutting is 12-14 in. , then go for the 260.
STIHL (NUMBER ONE FOR A REASON)

If you've settled on a 50 cc saw ( and that's not a bad thing ) , then get a ms 260 or 260 pro. Mighty handy for limbing, although a wee bit small for bucking and felling. They'll get the job done up till 30 in. or so , but things would go alot quicker with a 361 ( of course you have to tote the extra 2 lbs. around ) Honestly, if all you are cutting is 12-14 in. , then go for the 260.

When I bought the MS270, the $120 difference between it and the 260 was important. If I had it to do over, I'd stay in the 50cc class and opt for the 260.

That said, the MS270 has been a pleasure to own and operate...

I guess it must just all boil down to what kind of wood you are collecting and what you want to pack around.

A lot of guys say 50cc is the way to go. I tried that... wasn't real impressed.

Some say a 60cc saw is the best, because its still a light weight saw but fairly light. Been there, just won't turn and burn like I want.

A few guys suggest that a 70cc saw it about right. Im starting to agree with them. I would consider a 70cc saw driving a 24" bar full comp the starting firewood saw.

If you want to ask the best, I would almost say step up to a 90cc saw, with a similar bar and chain, for making your bucking cuts. I tend to be attracted to trees under 24" diameter (douglas fir) but there are still plenty of bucking cuts to be made. I would love a big saw to tear up these logs in no time flat. The faster Im done cutting, the faster Im done getting wood.
I am going to back you up on this one! I love my 60cc saw in 80% of the wood I cut, but when I get into the bigger stuff the time saved with a big saw is nice plus I like to hear them run! When you cut in high country you do need 10cc more everything just feels sluggish at high elevation. Something most people forget is you do really lose some power up there. I don't know what the elevation is like in Australia so we just might need some more info from the original poster. Then again if you don't have to pack the saw into the woods hell get the biggest one you are comfortable with.

Now shouldn't we all say he needs two saws. The 50cc and the 70cc. When your on AS it happens sooner or later.

I was just getting ready to do that. :laugh:

If money is no object I would highly recommend the MS260/MS460 combo (that’s a 346/372 for you husky guys) it really is perfect for everything you have any business trying to split.

If you are only going to get one saw I would make it the MS361 (and so would the husky guys :laugh:) light enough to limb with but enough a$$ to get the bigger stuff done.

ok this is the part where the dolmar guys point out that the 7900 is close to the same weight and will smoke a 361 but have no dealers and cost more money (oh wait they’ll leave that last part out)

If you are only going to get one saw I would make it the MS361 (and so would the husky guys ) light enough to limb with but enough a$$ to get the bigger stuff done.

No we would say the 357:clap: :cheers:

owning a 357 i would say any thing in this class aint strong enough for my demands fire wood cutting ..maybe a 372 would be a bit to highly strung to cut logs all day but a 365 will happily cut logs power a 20" bar and is cheaper.......all other saws mentioned are desighned for pro felling and limbing .......i believe this saw is pureley desighned to be an ideal logging saw with ocaisional felling in mind....or buy a pto powered sawbench!

Unless you HAVE to run a 22 or larger bar, You don't need a big ass saw just to cut a fue cords of oak. Remember now a 20 inch bar on a 357 with a SHARP chain will easily cruse through a 45 DBH hard wood, but who in the hell wants to lift 40 inch rounds into a truck!!!. I cut trees like that continuously all day with an old 044/20 inch bar.
C'mon people, Don't be under mand over sawed pussies!!

Just cut a bunch of nice green oak (felled already) to 24" dia. with the 357 with mini 20 bar and it impresses me, but then I used to use only an 026, so this is a step up in power. Was making 16" ripping cuts with apparent ease, sure I had a few seconds to savor the cut, but heck, my work day was over, I was just relaxing and could savor the cut for a few seconds more with the light setting just right through the chips. Coworker seemed plenty happy about her free truck load of oak ripped to spec.

OK well I have tired, held and compared a number of saws and the 2 I have narrowed it down to due, also just personal choice and liking just how the saw was are the husky 365 special and the stihl 361 (i think it was the 361 it was about 60cc I think!)
I can get a fair bit off the husky 365 sp and a free case, chain and bar lube due to a limited offer thats happening at a dealer. The husky with its fairly low reving broad power band is I think what I am after plus in the future if I want I can chuck on a 372 top end for more power.
One main thing influencing this choice is that in my area parts for the husky are easily located and my dealer is local. Thanks for your views and opinions because I have pretty much though about all factors.:chainsaw:

I'm a fan of the 50-60cc class saws for making firewood.

Heck if you gain even 3 seconds using a 70cc or larger saw per bucking cut on say a 16-18" log whats the advantage for the whole tree ??? Maybe two minutes in cutting time?

Not worth the weight penalty if you ask me. Also those bigger saws are a pain in butt for limbing!

That Husky 357 XP your looking at would be perfect! :cheers:

Al

MS361 is the do-it-all firewood saw here, but a good 50cc is really enough saw, most of the time.

It all depends on the size and type of wood......

I am not a fan of the 365, as it has the bulk and most of the weight of the 372xp, without the power - but it is of course a perfectly ok saw.

I guess the difficulty with choosing which class of saw is that you won't know you needed the bigger saw until you own one.

The revelation happens after you purchase your 2nd or 3rd saw. You will look at your full trailer-truck and then at your watch and say wow that was only 2 hours. It used to take me 4, then you will look longingly at your 7900 and feel bad for your old favorite saw.

go get some firewood and heat that house.

Be careful and wear your PPE-Chaps are replacable legs are harder to come by.

Kevin

Sawtroll...I have to agree w/ you atleast from my limited experience...I get about everything cut that I have available to cut w/ 346XP w/ 16" and 18" bar. On the rare occasion I have something larger a Homey 540 chews through nicely w/ 24" bar. One thing for sure I wouldn't want to carry the 540 all day. My hats off to those that do.
Of course b/c of this site I'm looking for a 60cc saw and I'm demo'ing a 361 and am very impressed...excellent saw. I was narrowed down to either dolmar 6400, or Husky 357 but now I'm considering the stihl 361 (he was the only dealer that would let me demo it), the redmax 621 (200 bones cheaper), and the Johnny 2159...TOO MANY CHOICES!!!!

Back