Best firewood saw full stop.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess the difficulty with choosing which class of saw is that you won't know you needed the bigger saw until you own one.

The revelation happens after you purchase your 2nd or 3rd saw. You will look at your full trailer-truck and then at your watch and say wow that was only 2 hours. It used to take me 4, then you will look longingly at your 7900 and feel bad for your old favorite saw.

go get some firewood and heat that house.

Be careful and wear your PPE-Chaps are replacable legs are harder to come by.

Kevin

WOW!!! You got it. I wish I could send more rep your way.:clap:

pa plumber it the santa of rep

WOW!!! You got it. I wish I could send more rep your way.:clap:

You are spreading rep around like you have a tree of it growing in your backyard.

thanks I send it back but i am fresh out of bullets.
K

Every saw you guys just mentioned I have been told by 2 dealers are all good saws! The saw I have noticed everybody seems to like and rant about is the 365. The only thing I have noticed it that the 365 isnt part of the XP range so I imagine isnt "classed a professinal saw. This may not be an issue to my needs anyway. One shop even recommended the 357XP over the 365...dunno.
Im going to another shop tommorow to have a look at the stihl range... Thanks for the imput so far guys...

Not a suprise. A couple of things about the 365. Its effectively a 372XP in weight with a smaller displacement (65cc vs. 72)...so power to weight isn't as good.

Over $100US bucks cheaper than similar sized "XP" models and similar spec pro saws from other brands..

A 365 Runs a little slower as well vs either a 357 or 372...but it has a very broad power band for a new saw...maybe a mild tune and porting arraingement.

Good news?

Usually $100US Cheaper....as mentioned above.
Less power and smoother ..at least mine is compared to the larger 372. Doesn't wear me out. They seem to last forever.
One more thing. My 365 isn't as sensitive to RPM's ie. I don't have to wind the crap out of it all the time as it makes (for a saw) nice mid range power along with enough peak power to cut in a hurry.

If power to weight is the issue. Go to a different model from any one of several brands.

I have a LOT of time on a 357XP and some on a 372 XP at work.

I bought a 365 for myself. Those 357's are peaky little saws and cold blooded as hell. Have to keep the RPM's way up or they just bog. 372's are kick-butt mid sized saws. No doubt. For a saw their size they make great power and things happen in a hurry...but I get worn out around hour number four or five running one. An age thing. I can run my 365 all day. Not the fastest, but fast enough. Not the lightest..but not heavy enough to tire me. Not the most power and certainly not the most RPM, but my bet is there is less stress on the saw over time. Good bang per buck for a Non-Pro who cuts a lot of wood.
Thats my humble opinion and I put my money where my opinion was.:greenchainsaw:

Looks like you did too.

Last edited:
I will say that my 365 is a great firewood saw. very very smooth. It may not be the fastest in my lineup but it just keeps going and going. I have pretty much made it a beam cutter now with a lumber maker attached. Just one more reason to have another saw.:clap:

The 365 sp is a good firewood saw. Have one and it has performed flawlessly. To answer one of your original questions, yes it is a "Pro" saw regardless of not having "XP" attached to the name.(exact same saw as 371/372 w/ smaller jug).

And if you've got good, local dealer support and a decent price, go for it.

Got Wood?

:chainsaw:

I guess it must just all boil down to what kind of wood you are collecting and what you want to pack around.

A lot of guys say 50cc is the way to go. I tried that... wasn't real impressed.

Some say a 60cc saw is the best, because its still a light weight saw but fairly light. Been there, just won't turn and burn like I want.

A few guys suggest that a 70cc saw it about right. Im starting to agree with them. I would consider a 70cc saw driving a 24" bar full comp the starting firewood saw.

If you want to ask the best, I would almost say step up to a 90cc saw, with a similar bar and chain, for making your bucking cuts. I tend to be attracted to trees under 24" diameter (douglas fir) but there are still plenty of bucking cuts to be made. I would love a big saw to tear up these logs in no time flat. The faster Im done cutting, the faster Im done getting wood.

I have to agree that sums up my experiance pretty well to.
50 cc is to slow 95% of the time for me and generally the small fuel tanks need fueled more often. Good 60 cc saws that don't run out of gas to quick work well if your cutting mostly small stuff. 70cc saws are the berries most of the time for me unless its the big hardwoods which are felled and bucked up much quicker with the big boys.

Picked up the 365 and used it as soon as I got it home, is great has plenty of power and quite user friendly without any big supprises just tractors through the wood without any hesertation. Cheers again for the help and specs on this topic!:greenchainsaw:

Oh and just in response to some questions, yes I would love two saws but I know if I did get more then 1 I would be in trouble....

The fire wood I cut is all types all sizes and shapes so really the 365 is good for me. I might be a extra bar (maby a 16in) because I have a 20in on the saw and wont need it that big at times.
Might get a muffler mod done to it after its run in , see how it goes I might not need one but from what you guys reakon it sounds worth while. I'll do a search now actually!:chainsaw:

Cody 82 -

Glad you made the choice for the 365! Enjoy the saw and cut safely.

By the way - welcome to the forum. . . hope to see you around from time to time. This place is a tremendous source of information and problem solving.

Al

Latest posts

Back