Best gas log splitter around $1500

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TSC, although I can't vouch for the quality in 2015. My circa 2000 Huskee 22-ton (bought from TSC for $1000) has never let me down. Basic maintenance (oil/filter/plug) and it keeps on splitting. I average close to 10 cords per year fwiw.

Just pick up something used off craigslist , if your splitting 5-6 cord a year for personal use spending a bunch of money is crazy. A splitter is a pretty simple machine and it's fairly easy to evaluate a used one ..a little work and a nice pre-owned unit will serve you well .

With that said if I was looking to upgrade from my old SpeeCo I'd be wanting one of the Wallenstein units with a log lift..ever year my back gets older and a lift sounds better.

They proud of 'em ain't they fellas...selling used. Buy new...be done with it. When I bought my Super Split HD earlier this year...I looked and looked, nothing around Ga when it came to them. They're certainly more predominant in the New England area, NE area. I was fortunate, knock on wood, in the position financially to buy a new SS HD. With a 24 yr old son and a 17 yr old daughter...it was a once in a lifetime chance, saving money...and I took it. I have absolutely zero regrets with the performance of this machine. It gets it done, quick, when it comes to bustin wood...while the dual split 20-ton kinda sits in the background. I think I may put the dual split up for sale eventually, with its 4-way wedge as well. It's in mint condition, other than normal wood bustin scratches, etc. I hope the OP, Stillhunter ends up with a good machine that'll last him a lifetime.

I have the speeco 28T from family farm and home. Great splitter for $1500.
IMG_1404.jpg

I would avoid the half length beam splitters like the MTD and go with the full length like the speeco. They may weigh more and be harder to move around, but I've had to repair the trunnion mounts on mine twice. The walls on the cylinder are the weak point and the trunnion tears out right around the weld.

I am not saying they are made of glass or can not serve the average home user well for many years. I've owned mine since 2001, my brother and I split 10 to 12 cords of oak a year and it has more friends in my home town than I do. Just saying if I were to buy new I would just eliminate that weak point.

Latest posts

Back