Best method for learning bore cutting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick Kent

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for recommendations for the best way to practice bore cutting? My plan so far is to use a short bar on a fairly small tree stump that has some height to it. I was going to just practice bore cutting into the trunk to feel more comfortable with it. Any species easier than another. I'm mostly working with ash and oak. (Which are probably not great woods to learn on). Thanks, Nick.

I'm looking for recommendations for the best way to practice bore cutting? My plan so far is to use a short bar on a fairly small tree stump that has some height to it. I was going to just practice bore cutting into the trunk to feel more comfortable with it. Any species easier than another. I'm mostly working with ash and oak. (Which are probably not great woods to learn on). Thanks, Nick.
Not knowing any better, I just watched Husqvarna's videos on tree felling, using an open faced 75° notch cut and bore cutting the back cut. I paid attention to the hinge and hinge thickness. It all works like a charm! I never dropped trees with that control before. It quickly became my preference.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Oh, start that bar in initially with the bottom tip of the saw bar. It's gonna kick if you try to plunge it before you get an inch or so into the wood. Stay away from the top quadrant tip!

Not knowing any better, I just watched Husqvarna's videos on tree felling, using an open faced 75° notch cut and bore cutting the back cut. I paid attention to the hinge and hinge thickness. It all works like a charm! I never dropped trees with that control before. It quickly became my preference.

I just re watched that. Lots of stuff, I forget about. Some I just do, but some I just don't think about, and lucky nothing happens. I rarely drop anything over 12", usually around 8. Only time I would do a plunge is on a large dead fall.

Going to try more open face cuts. I do 45s.

As mentioned previously start with the bottom half of the tip to begin the cut and if possible the first few attempts get your hands below the tip until you've cut near the width of your bar then rotate the tip into the cut and let er rip and push er on through

It's not as easy as watching a you tube video and then going and doing it. I'll tell you that. Have to
keep practicing

True, but maybe I will think more about some stuff. I have never had a fallen tree move on me, but maybe I should be paying more attention, to which way it could roll, and finnishing on tension side.

Latest posts

Back