Best poles for big shot?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B_Turner

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Any consensus on the best brand/style of poles to use with a bigshot?

Jameson,Marvin, hollow, foam filled,?

Seems like the more rigid the better within reason.

Last edited:
I think the bigshot instructions say use 8' fibreglass pole only. . although everyone seems to use 2 4' fibreglass poles and works fine. I use a wooden pole sometimes, and it doesn't shoot as far with the flex. I think the 2 4' poles would be more rigid than 1 8ft. I'm curious how it works with a 10ft pole - it would be easier to get more pull. .

I think the bigshot instructions say use 8' fibreglass pole only. . although everyone seems to use 2 4' fibreglass poles and works fine. I use a wooden pole sometimes, and it doesn't shoot as far with the flex. I think the 2 4' poles would be more rigid than 1 8ft. I'm curious how it works with a 10ft pole - it would be easier to get more pull. .

One of my brothers is a long time arborist and prefers a 9 ft setup (a 6 and 3). He told me he's a pretty good shot.

Yesterday at a GTG here he took an old bigshot another brother had left here and nailed a smallish crotch 5 times in a row that was a full 100ft high. It was a pretty vertical shot with foliage above so little room for error. Also he used three different lines and three different weight bars.

I was impressed.

Last edited:
One of my brothers is a long time arborist and prefers a 9 ft setup (a 6 and 3). He told me he's a pretty good shot.

Yesterday at a GTG here he took an old bigshot another brother had left here and nailed a smallish crotch 5 times in a row that was a full 100ft high. It was a pretty vertical shot with foliage above so little room for error. Also he used three different lines and three different weight bars.

I was impressed.

Hey there,

What type of pole was he using that was 6 and 3 feet long? I'm looking to get into the 100' range and could use a tip on poles like that.

Thanks

I use the Jameson hollow yellow poles. I use the 6 ft poles because that's what I already had plenty of. Two 4 ft poles or 1 8 ft pole would work best. I installed a trigger system on mine with parts I had laying around the shop. That made using the two 6 ft poles easier. Since I installed the trigger, I haven't just pulled it back manually since. I find myself using the BigShot more now because I'm a lot more accurate since I have repeatable pulling power . I also have marks on the pole for light, medium and heavy pulls.

I've heard the Berger telescoping pole works very good too.

The proverbial ten-foot pole works best for me, a six and a four. Pros: better ergonomics (e.g., no wet knees) , and you might get some more stroke out of it for higher max range. Cons: might be a little difficult to nock the throwbag if you're vertically-challenged.

Latest posts

Back