best thoughts on a small homemade kiln??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timbercreek

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
hi guys,
so the old man bought a woodmizer lt28. hasnt even cut his first log yet, already wants to build a kiln.
talking about buying the $3500 control unit from mizer. told him theres gotta be a cheaper easier way.
so anyway, we have sawed before, and had a MASSIVE kiln before, but all commercial computer controlled electric stuff.
I have a outdoor wood boiler, with extra ports already plumbed in, told him to just get a small REEFER body(one ton truck sized)
and we can set it on a trailer, wheel it over by the boiler, and hook it up with a small heat unit tapped into the OWB.
and theres power at the OWB, so thats covered.
what do you guys think?
he wants to be able to Dry 12" lumber, mainly white cedar, maybe some pine
i dont know, like a single lift size...4-500bf?
would be sweet if it was FORKLIFT loadable, but your not gonna get that out of the reefer.
worse part is, i have 2 40' REEFER vans parked oh....150' from the boiler. normally dry storage but jeez they are RIGHT there.
just not really sure what the cycle or controls would be?
just heat to a constant temp and vent in fresh air on a timed cycle?
talking northeast late fall going into winter.
have greenhouses, just didnt seem like they would work well. my brothers firewood doesnt seem to dry very well in there. too contained, not enough air exchange with garage doors open.
also thought about greenhouse tied to OWB and PUT the HEAT TO HER

You need air flow and dehumification. The heat helps too.

We have a Woodmizer kiln, works well. Takes about 4-5 weeks to dry a load. Kiln is about 15ftx25ft or so. Insalated with 4" of blue board.

I'm not too sure on the exact details, we haven't used it in 3 years. Costs about $500 to dry a load and no one wants to pay that. We just air dry.

4-5 weeks? How many bf u have in their?
Our old kiln used to hold 28,000bf and was done in 14-21 days
That was prob 30x30, 12' ceiling. 12" styrofoam insul

I have a crude kiln. It's basically an 8'x12' shed with 8' ceiling height. I sealed it up inside but haven't insulated it. It has a dehumidifier that runs constantly, and dries 1000bf of hard maple in 3-4 weeks to below 10%. There's no auxiliary heat, but there is a an extra fan to circulate air. Temp is never much above 100f.

Latest posts

Back