Best trimmer string?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alderman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Just wondering who has suggestions for the best trimmer string. I tried some Shakespeare square .105 yesterday. It cut well and didn't break off easily. I've got some .130 which lasts forever but doesn't cut as well as the smaller diameter stuff.

Just wondering who has suggestions for the best trimmer string. I tried some Shakespeare square .105 yesterday. It cut well and didn't break off easily. I've got some .130 which lasts forever but doesn't cut as well as the smaller diameter stuff.
I like the square cut line as well..seems to cut great and doesn't wear out quickly.
My experience is that when you go over .90 or .105..you just start knocking stuff down
rather than cutting-mowing it down. I also don't use a "tap-release" and keep the line(s) about 6".

I'm really a blade guy mostly and just finish off with a string when I've reduced it down to 4"-8".
If the job is small..I'll try with string first - but if it ain't workin'..I'm going to a blade trimmer.

I use Stihl commercial use square line..but Shakespeare is good line as well.
You can find it on eBay sometimes from a Stihl dealer for a good price.
(there's no warranty involved..so the dealers sell stuff..chains - bars - plugs..etc.)
:cheers:
J2F

Last edited:
I use a blade quite a bit on the woody stuff but if I keep it knocked down for a couple of years I find I can cut the grass and weeds just as easily with a string head. I've been using the speed feed heads with some success.

Have lost track of the specific brands over the years (I'm a perpetual scrounger)
But found that any way to concentrate the energy into smaller edge/area
helps the string work.
i.e. smaller diameter or sharp edged lines.
Drawback to the square or other non-round lines is increased tendancy
to friction/heat weld inside the string head.
Smaller stock can be easier to break off at the eyelet.
ether way we get to shut down and go pull the head apart,
desnarl line, clean the grit & debris out and go back at it.

have tried various sorts of cooking spray, WD-40,
old (gettin' scarce here) stock of dry PTFE ("Teflon") lube.
those sponge rings, heck even a wadded &twisted paper towel
or only winding 2~3 feet total of line into spool per loading
you get the idea of my agravation.

Best trick to date ??

A bowel of water.

Yep, Read it somewhere (could be here or that Lawnsite place)
Tried it last year by letting the line stay in the water
for at least a couple of weeks before using
(always covered by the water, keep topping off or changing the water)

Well wadda ya know
Hmm, made a nice improvement.
The engineers in the crowd here can give y'all the rundown on
how to figure for plastics absorbing water or other things.
some years ago I did read about it being a factor in designing molds
for plastic parts (varies by type stock used, etc...)
also Helps explain how plastics absorb oders!

results for me?
I've been running line that's at least 10 years old
and once it had a good saturation period and is kept under water,
I've not had any breakage or welding snags since then.

Now be aware I'll still snag an obstical that the string can
wrap it's self around and that's gonna snap anything,
no matter what it's made of...
edges of rocks, bricks, concrete & black top all will abrade and
weaken or grind away at it.

bottom line, try the *Continuous* underwater storage
and see what ya think.

Also helps to find string heads that are balanced and run true
better if the line is not vibrating/grinding against itself all the time
also better on the trimmer and operator.
good smooth bump head with the internal spring(s)
made in correct orientation for the heads rotation.
Wrong way spring winding/design tends to cause issues also.
learn to tap (not smack/beat) the head on firm surface
and if line is good not welding ,then you might experiment with
trimming a small bit of spring height/preload.
lighter spring tension gets an easier spool to use
but you gotta get your finesse up or it will just be bouncing
and spitting out line.

Gonna cork the spiel for the moment,
but go soak your line and see what you think!

if it works for ya, overvolting the electric ones or
A muffler mod and carb tune gasser will
suddenly have great appeal .

I've been using the Husqvarna titanium line i got a 3lbs roll for free for a promotion Husky was having when i bought my 326LS last year it seems to work pretty good. For free WTH i will use it.

After trying a few brands, I settled for Echo .130 and .155 depending on the trimmer I use that day. It doesn't wear as fast as other brands and still gives a good quality cut. Not on par with smaller wire for cutting grass, but still a lot better than other square or round lines I've used.

Depends on both the trimmer, and what your trimming. For everyday (IE weekly) trimming I prefer .095 diameter line. It cuts well, and the head will hold more of it. For knocking down big mean grass and weeds I like .105 Square magnum Gator by Oregon. It's clear, so bits left behind blend in well. It wears like iron (even has an aramid core wire running through it). It's also great for cleaning up edges. I've used some of the newer shaped lines, spiral wound etc. while perhaps quieter, I've seen none in clear so ill stick with the Gator mag. For me round in 095, and square in .105

Btw, stick with .095 if your trimmer has less than 25cc

Edit: the water thing does indeed work. I use an old 2gallon paint bucket to hold either 3 or 5 lb rolls. Just keep the lid on and it stays cleaner. Only need an inch of water in the bucket after its soaked a while. Just keeps it "fresher". And while the "speed feed" type heads load quick and easy, the Husqvarna T-35 head holds 28ft of .095 line (about double a speed feed) and re-spool very easily too.

Since I found that .105 sq mag gator, I hardly ever use a blade unless saplings are near finger size or bigger.

Last edited:
Try Shakespeare Ugly Line (triangle shaped).

I've been using the Husqvarna titanium line i got a 3lbs roll for free for a promotion Husky was having when i bought my 326LS last year it seems to work pretty good. For free WTH i will use it.

That stuff^^ right there is the best I ever tried.

I never heard of the soak in water trick, but gonna try it.

Now I wonder if soak in cheap thin oil might work too, like some cheap two stroke mix.

Best trick to date ??

A bowel of water.

Yep, Read it somewhere (could be here or that Lawnsite place)
Tried it last year by letting the line stay in the water
for at least a couple of weeks before using
(always covered by the water, keep topping off or changing the water)

Well wadda ya know
Hmm, made a nice improvement.
The engineers in the crowd here can give y'all the rundown on
how to figure for plastics absorbing water or other things.
some years ago I did read about it being a factor in designing molds
for plastic parts (varies by type stock used, etc...)
also Helps explain how plastics absorb oders!

results for me?
I've been running line that's at least 10 years old
and once it had a good saturation period and is kept under water,
I've not had any breakage or welding snags since then.
My take is this material's engineering and research comes from the fishing line industry. More specifically the long line fishery. The monofilament used to catch swordfish is right in the size ballpark for string trimmer line.

The yellow Stihl line is what I am working on a pound of perhaps 0.105 but I have pretty large engine size. The gator, titanium, and pulverizer all work better than a simple round. I do not use a guard and put out a lot of line from a manually adjusted head. That way if I run the speed slow it can be pretty gentle up against something. I am more in the couple of times a year like say one had an electric fence and didn't like weed killer. Wire, concrete rocks woody plants all take their toll probably in that order of severity.

I'll be the odd guy out that votes for Shakespeare ugly line. As far as .095 goes, its the toughest and best cutting I have found. I run it in my echo srm225, stihl fs70, and fs55rc.

I like the Shakespeare 95 and 105. It resists breakage much better than the husky titanium. I've got a modded 326l, I tend to handle more brushy stuff than grass, and the first time I tried Shakespeare was much better than what I had been using

I tried WD-40, cooking spray, a dry film Teflon lube, Graphite powder
A sponge ring like I saw on some prewound spools......
Anything oily or sticky just seemed to hold all the grit and make a worse mess.

You think you were in an ill mood before?
Wait till your untangling a spool of line with oil on it.

Haven't found anything yet that beats keeping it underwater.
I dropped a shot of anti-freeze in the water this spring to see what that did
hard to say for sure But seems a tad slicker.
But you gotta be damn careful about any critters and make sure the lid is secure
so no ones pet gets a drink of it.

Only hangup I had all year was when I had a good day of not snagging the line
and hadn't needed to advance the line for a while.
Otherwise not a hitch and that was with the 10+ year old multi-edge line no less.
The line was in some better grade, unversal heads that I grabbed for $5 a piece
when homer-desperate changed vendors for them, So no idea of the actual string brand.
I unpacked them all and put in a parts drawer, so don't even have a label left to read.
I looked at them back when this thread started in case it would help to know, No luck though.

Last edited:
Try some lo noize.I like it so much I bought spools of it.I've went through literally 10's of thousands of feet of line and many weedeaters.the lo noize is my favorite.

The orange line that came with my FS250 would instantly snap and weld to itself if I touched anything thicker than normal grass. I replaced the line with some cheap store bought stuff that I use in my small Echo trimmer and had the same results. I was pretty irritated so I went back to my dealer and he comped me 1lb donut of square 0.095" Magnum Gatorline. It makes a night and day difference! No more welding to itself and it readily handles small saplings and light brush. I liked it so much I bought the 0.080" version to put in my Echo for the more delicate trimming needs around our flower beds.

I had troubke with all of the stihl line on my fs250 other than the.130 black line.had to modify a big line head to accept it though.

Back