best way to clean ashes out of stove?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I pull the ash pan out and dump it... don't matter what state the fire is in.
I had one box that didn't burn on a grate for the ashes to fall through... that ain't never happenin' again.

Amen to that. I have been shopping for a new stove (old one is ummm.....1983?) but won't look at one without an ash pan.

Harry K

Amen to that. I have been shopping for a new stove (old one is ummm.....1983?) but won't look at one without an ash pan.

Harry K
Have you found a suitable replacement? In my opinion, the only downfall to my EPA stove is the ash removal.

When dumping hot ash and coal they go into the creek so I don't have to worry about starting a fire on my property.

Have you found a suitable replacement? In my opinion, the only downfall to my EPA stove is the ash removal.

When dumping hot ash and coal they go into the creek so I don't have to worry about starting a fire on my property.

No luck so far. Due to the installation it has to be an "end load" model which pretty well limits it to the Ashley and similar. That is what I have already -not real pleased with it from the day I put it in.

No luck so far. Due to the installation it has to be an "end load" model which pretty well limits it to the Ashley and similar. That is what I have already -not real pleased with it from the day I put it in.
I guess I'm not sure what you mean by end load? Cut side in first or split side?

When it suffocates the fire or gets high enough to raise the coal above the firebrick. If I have coal in it at the time no way I will dump ashes with them still glowing. A good whif of coal smoke will I'm sure kill a horse. It has done a number on me more than once.

I remove ashes when the stove is still warm. That gives it a good updraft so that whatever I stir up get sucked out of the house.

I push all the ash and coals to the back of the stove. I put a kitchen pan in the stove with the handle sticking out. I use a kitty litter scoop to sift the ashes into the pan and put the coals up front. (I wear aluminized gloves because it starts to get hot when I reach over the coals.) Once I've got the one side of the stove good, I move the pan into the space that I just cleaned and do the other side. Then I put the lid on the pan and take it outside.

By the time I'm done, I've got the coals up front and they are good and hot and ready to go for the next load. I used to use the ash pan but this way is cleaner and gives me better coal recovery.

I have two ash cans. One is open and the other is a 5 gallon galvanized can with a lid.

We burn all day and let the fire go out while we are sleeping. In the morning I use the shovel that is with my fireplace tools to scoop out the ashes into the open ash can. I try to leave the larger live coals but do scoop some smoldering embers into the ash can. The open can gets emptied into the closed can and the lid goes on. With restricted air the embers go out.

Bear in mind we are in northern California. It doesn't get real cold here. Last night it dropped below freezing which is unusual.

I have two ash cans. One is open and the other is a 5 gallon galvanized can with a lid.

We burn all day and let the fire go out while we are sleeping. In the morning I use the shovel that is with my fireplace tools to scoop out the ashes into the open ash can. I try to leave the larger live coals but do scoop some smoldering embers into the ash can. The open can gets emptied into the closed can and the lid goes on. With restricted air the embers go out.

Bear in mind we are in northern California. It doesn't get real cold here. Last night it dropped below freezing which is unusual.

Spokane, wa for one has had several fires over the years started using that method. Put them in the can and set can on deck...fire.

Harry K

How? I put the ashes in the second can right away and then put the cover on it.
Heck... my ash can is a galvanized trash can (what are they?? 30 gallon??) that sits down in the basement by the furnace. I dump the ashes (and any glowing embers) directly in it from the ash pan, and put the lid on. It sits there, in the house, until it's about half to three-quarter full... I carry it out and dump it maybe once every 5 weeks or so. I don't see any fire danger... it's steel with a lid (shrug)

How? I put the ashes in the second can right away and then put the cover on it. How can that start a fire?

The can sits on the patio which is a concrete slab.

They were setting the cans on the deck, can gets hot, starts deck on fire. Ask any fireman in a good sized city. They probably will have at least one case.

Harry K

Heck... my ash can is a galvanized trash can (what are they?? 30 gallon??) that sits down in the basement by the furnace. I dump the ashes (and any glowing embers) directly in it from the ash pan, and put the lid on. It sits there, in the house, until it's about half to three-quarter full... I carry it out and dump it maybe once every 5 weeks or so. I don't see any fire danger... it's steel with a lid (shrug)

As long as it is not on wood, nothing wrong with it.

Harry K

You gotta watch those galvanized cans. I shoveled a good bit out of my stove once when my insert used to be in the basement fireplace. I left it down there on the concrete floor with the lid off. About an hour later my kids were throwing up, and all four of us had a major headache. That's when it dawned on me "galvanized poisoning"! Ran downstairs and seen the hot ashes had started to burn the galvanizing off the can. I took the can outside, and opened up a couple windows in the house. Once we all got some fresh air we felt better. I threw that can away, and bought a real coal hod!

where does one find a cheap but effective ash rake? looks useful....

I must admit I'm not sure where that rake came from or what it's original purpose was. I'm pretty sure it wasn't designed to be an ash rake and it has a wooden handle which isn't ideal for my purpose. But hey, it works.

I think it might have been something designed for a child. It is like a 1/4 sized normal garden rake.

Rake coals to the back. Shovel out front ashes with a flat shovel (normal wooden handle, it's older than I am) into a 2.5 gallon galvanized pail. Rake coals to the front. Scoop out some more ashes. Build Fire. Deposit hot ashes into 30 gallon galvanized trash can (in the basement, on the slab). When the ashes are cold, put back into the 2.5 gallon pail and use as anti-skid on the yard and driveways.

Or, use the hot ashes as anti-skid and ice melt. It works nice :)

I left it down there on the concrete floor with the lid off. About an hour later my kids were throwing up, and all four of us had a major headache.
That sounds more like carbon monoxide poisoning from leaving the lid off and allowing the embers to smolder.
It takes a lot (a ton) of burning galvanizing (creates zinc oxide) to to make you sick... I weld galvanized steel all the time, smoke even coming up inside my helmet, I've never been sick. I ain't sayin' it's good for me... but, I'm sayin' what you're describing is classic carbon monoxide poisoning. I don't believe a little scorching of galvanizing can cause what you describe in an open home... I doubt hot ashes and embers can even heat zinc hot enough to create zinc oxide. It requires around 800°F to melt zinc, nearly 1700° to boil it, and a whole lot more to actually burn it.

(I know this from my bullet casting using wheel weights... some of which are zinc.)

That sounds more like carbon monoxide poisoning from leaving the lid off and allowing the embers to smolder.
It takes a lot (a ton) of burning galvanizing (creates zinc oxide) to to make you sick... I weld galvanized steel all the time, smoke even coming up inside my helmet, I've never been sick. I ain't sayin' it's good for me... but, I'm sayin' what you're describing is classic carbon monoxide poisoning. I don't believe a little scorching of galvanizing can cause what you describe in an open home... I doubt hot ashes and embers can even heat zinc hot enough to create zinc oxide. It requires around 800°F to melt zinc, nearly 1700° to boil it, and a whole lot more to actually burn it.

(I know this from my bullet casting using wheel weights... some of which are zinc.)
DITTO!

Pretty much impossible as you stated. Plus any live coals will be smothered by the ash and lack of oxygen.

Back