Best way to deal with stump grindings?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmynz

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Gday I'm after advice on what the best use of the stump grindings is,if there is any,advice for clients on what to use it for.
Chur

Tell the client it's a great mulch but only spread it one half inch to one inch deep because it can mat and hinder air exchange. Spread it around....it's a great resource. Of course composting it like Rope suggested is a good idea too but it needs mixing with other materials and the pile turned on occasion.

Or just plain ole time:monkey: My yard is wood chips keeps mowing to a minimum and no I am not kidding!

Or just plain ole time:monkey: My yard is wood chips keeps mowing to a minimum and no I am not kidding!

Your yard is wood chips? Would eliminate mowing I would think.. Course I have a lot of wood piled on one side of my lot right now. But will go soon.. chipping a couple of piles and taking away.. soon be gone.:greenchainsaw:

Your yard is wood chips? Would eliminate mowing I would think.. Course I have a lot of wood piled on one side of my lot right now. But will go soon.. chipping a couple of piles and taking away.. soon be gone.:greenchainsaw:

I have a pretty big yard lol 8 or so acres that weeds grow so some mowing is necessary also brush hogging some in the 32 acres of woods lol:cheers:

Last edited:
cheers for the tips fullas
I asked about it because I asked my boss about it,and he told me that they are no good because of tanins/and or chemicals in the root system that are no good in a compost.
That didn't fly completely with me hence I asked around. Has anyone got something to add to the tanins debate?

cheers for the tips fullas
I asked about it because I asked my boss about it,and he told me that they are no good because of tanins/and or chemicals in the root system that are no good in a compost.
That didn't fly completely with me hence I asked around. Has anyone got something to add to the tanins debate?

Yes somewhat depends on species they can have allelopathic affects upon other plants or carry any bad pathogens that may have killed the host tree or as you say tanins that may restrict other plant growth or. They may just be a crap mulch to much root n wood with poor structure not ideal for gardens.
Bests used as land fill or a poor compost base or just leave it to your client job done fair price get ya money and go he will sort it in time.

Compounds in stump and roots like tannins take longer to break down but it is all good compost, in time.

It's good as mulch--expand natural areas!

Another idea is to sell the service of removing the mulch, backfilling with soil and grass seed on top. If the stumps in the lawn of course. We do it quite a lot and it works out well. Typically we do this on larger removals and already have a bobcat and other tools there to make this easy. We usually double the price (at least) of stump grinding, and it takes about the same time.

I just spent from 9 hours loading and hauling grindings. That's all I did. What a freaking mess it was.
We used both a big a little grinder. There was so much. I am glad its done now and so am I. Whew!

You break out the pitchfork, Dano, or walk around w/ a Dingo all day?

You break out the pitchfork, Dano, or walk around w/ a Dingo all day?

I am sorry, I don't understand; What is this thing that you are calling a pitchfork?

The first area consisted of 6, 3 foot dia pine stumps with a couple of smaller one in there. I rake the area down with the York rake to bare soil and took the needles away too. I would say about 300 square feet of area.
Next door we had TD'd the biggest weeping cherry I remember ever seeing. Last year they layed weed barrier over the lateral roots and dumped about 6 inches of the finest triple ground mulch money can buy over them. This year is was stone dead.
We ground the pines with a big Carlton after I loaded up the needles. We ground out the heart of the cherry with the big Carlton then brought in its little brother fot the laterals. There was no end . This are was about 200 square feet of stump ( 3 foot dia) and tons of laterals.
The battery was bad on the little grinder, it would start but not move so we went to get another battery after screwing with that for awhile. We jumped it with the Dingo to get it started but the voltage was low so there wasn't juice to power the controls. The new battery fixed that, it has brain box for the remote controls which takes a decent battery to run.
I have blister from the controls of the Dingo.

I am sorry, I don't understand; What is this thing that you are calling a pitchfork?

The first area consisted of 6, 3 foot dia pine stumps with a couple of smaller one in there. I rake the area down with the York rake to bare soil and took the needles away too. I would say about 300 square feet of area.
Next door we had TD'd the biggest weeping cherry I remember ever seeing. Last year they layed weed barrier over the lateral roots and dumped about 6 inches of the finest triple ground mulch money can buy over them. This year is was stone dead.
We ground the pines with a big Carlton after I loaded up the needles. We ground out the heart of the cherry with the big Carlton then brought in its little brother fot the laterals. There was no end . This are was about 200 square feet of stump ( 3 foot dia) and tons of laterals.
The battery was bad on the little grinder, it would start but not move so we went to get another battery after screwing with that for awhile. We jumped it with the Dingo to get it started but the voltage was low so there wasn't juice to power the controls. The new battery fixed that, it has brain box for the remote controls which takes a decent battery to run.
I have blister from the controls of the Dingo.

Lol a blister would not happen if you had the callus built up like rope lmfao:cheers:

Dump them somewhere where you will never have to think about them and move on with your life.

Good answer, I love it . I hate carting off grindings. They do make good compost but it takes forever for it to breakdown.

If you have a place to compost them you could haul off the fresh grindings and make money by using the composted grindings as a topdressing instead of using soil.

Hey Patolmbrjck, does the grass grow well over the stump, after it's all cleaned up, replaced with good top soil?? I find that it has a hard time, so I put some lime in there too along with good seed. Just seems to have a hard time.

With big stumps that people do not want to pay for regrading on I recomend that they do a container bed in the area for a few years.. As they fertilize the potted plants they will assist the breakdown of stump wood, afer a few years they can use it as soil.

If the operator taqkes a few minutes to make sure soil gerts mixed with the wood there is a much faster compost time.

Hey Patolmbrjck, does the grass grow well over the stump, after it's all cleaned up, replaced with good top soil?? I find that it has a hard time, so I put some lime in there too along with good seed. Just seems to have a hard time.

the grass seems to grow fine here. We don't use lime or fert, just good soil and seed. Sometimes, (if were working for the city) we do stumps their way which is to leave some of the stump mulch in the whole, mound up the dirt then seed. They both work fine.

Latest posts

Back