Best way to kill tree roots

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilac

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've got a couple elm trees that keep coming up every year. One in my garden and one right next to my fence. Every year I cut them down and every year they come right back. What's the best way to get rid of them?

I've heard you should pour salt on the stumps. Does this work? Are we talking table salt or some special kind of salt? I know you can buy root killer too. What works best?

Last edited:
Next time you cut them use a herbicide on the stump cambium. You do not have to apply the herbicide to the entire cut surface, just the outer perimeter. Apply within 5 minutes or less after cutting. The effectiveness diminishes with time. Garlon 3A is a great herbicide for cut stumps but is pricey. A strong solution of glyphosphate (43% strength mixed 3 parts herbicide to 2 parts water) may also be effective. Do not use salt.

or simply keep removing the source of their food (foliage) and they will eventually stop producing. There is a finite amout of glucose stored and available to support growth of any kind. Takes awhile but its chemical free and fool proof, eventually.
Otherwise, the chemical treatment Mr. Urbicide suggests will be Very effective, immediately.

Sometimes when a tree has been cut down and there's same species nearby poisoning can affect other trees via grafted roots.

Also, those grafted roots can feed the stump.

In some cases stump grinding is not requested and we need to stop the regrowth.

Solution ... eliminate the light source foliage needs to grow. Thick black plastic and mulch over the stump, carpet etc ... block the light source.:hmm3grin2orange:

Have you tried Ecoplug's? They work great. Drill holes in the cambium and place the plugs in the holes, give them a whack with a hammer and the problem's solved. http://www.ecoplug.com/ . Another option is to use herbicides (glyfanova) directly on the cut. Strong vinegar also works. Vinegar can also be used to kill weeds and moss.

i don't know if its one of those old wives tales but i heard somewhere that hammering in copper nails will kill tree roots.

Latest posts

Back