Best way to manually split fire wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
splitting

Hi, I use a steel monster maul first if I can't bust it open i break out the gernade wedge and sledge hammer. Once wood is busted i go to a smaller 6 pound maul. Most of the time the moster maul will bust it open. Great for dealing with stress.:dizzy:

Last edited:
yeah I am mostly splitting oak and sweetgum, and a little hickory here and there.

Yeah the one I am having the most trouble with are ones that the log turn slightly near the end. So when I set it on the log the part I am hitting is leaning slightly.

I think that is a big part of my problem. I think My maul is a six pounder with a fiberglass handle.

I think I might get one of these.http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=147592-302-1190700&lpage=none or this onehttp://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=147593-302-1190300&lpage=none

I will tell you,that is the splitter that I have. With the speed you can swing it, (Through it, not to it) it generates plenty of velocity. The only one that I had trouble with is a wet piece of poplar. It handled a 24" piece of really dry locust with minimal effort. Just give 'er hell and they should go.

I also agree with the guys reading the grain. I usually try to find the path of least resistance which is going from small grain to large (As opposed to large to small bottle neck) Think of your swing as a car, and the log as a traffic jam. If you notice that it is a tight grain on the bottom and a wide grain on top, flip the sucker over.

I have put many an ax through a crotch of a tree that my ole man said NO WAY. (Then i pick up his v maul and attack the knotty oak rounds.)

Believe it or not, the only ones that reallly cause trouble between those two mauls is a piece of knotty willow. Too soft until drys for a LOOOOOOOOOOONG time with all the water

The best way to manually split wood is to pull the lever that activates the ram on the log splitter. :cheers:
All jokes aside, I found the best way is to learn to read the grain on the wood. You want the head of the maul to line up with the grain, so that you are splitting with the grain instead of against it.
Back in the days before we got smart and bought a gas-powered log splitter, we just used a splitting maul. No wedges, no sledge hammer.
It was a great way to get a workout and to release some aggression, but no way would I want to split a truckload of wood.
If using a gas-powered logsplitter makes me a sissie, so be it.

I was told by a good friend of mine who is older and wiser than me that you split the wood early in the morning on days when its below freezing.The frozen wood already has pressure on it from freezing,and that it splits much easier that way.I have never tried it myself,but he has done it that way for 20yrs and he knows his stuff.

First, an "axe" is made for cutting, not splitting. The exception being for the smaller pieces chunked off after using a maul. Speed is often more important than force. A lightweight 6-8 pound maul or Fiskars splitter axe allows for vastly improved speed of swing with far less fatigue than an enormous Monster Maul. Remember, each swing requires lifting it over your head first!
Another tip on the somewhat bigger stuff is to aim parallel to the growth rings near the edge. The wood fibers pop apart easier there. Just work your way around it until you end up with a smaller log you can smack dead center.

If you use a wedge and sledge hammer, it is VERY important to keep the head ground smooth and rounded at the edges. If you see a well-used one with jagged and flared corners at the struck head, those become literal bullet when knocked loose. Also wedges themselves often fly off unpredictably until you have lots of practice.

Lastly, get soccer shinguard for the chunks that fly off.

I was told by a good friend of mine who is older and wiser than me that you split the wood early in the morning on days when its below freezing.The frozen wood already has pressure on it from freezing,and that it splits much easier that way.I have never tried it myself,but he has done it that way for 20yrs and he knows his stuff.

+ 1 when i was younger split alot of pin oak this way did it in a tea shirt in 0 weather and never got cold used 15lb monster mall.

An important point that people make is the shrapnel effect. Yes splitting wedges will mushroom. If you've used chisels, you will see that they will as well. these are designed to do this. The main part of the tool is heat treated for strength, and the end being struck by the other tool, is made to mushroom. If you hit an ax with a sledge hammer you could be in real danger. Both are hardened steel, neither made to mushroom. This type of misuse of tools can have steel shoot off worse than those made to mushroom.

What type of wood are you splitting? Green or seasoned? knotty or not?

Put up some pics of the rounds.

Shorter lengths will be easier, so if you have a lot of trouble due to twists, knots, stump cut rounds, you will be able to split it easier if you cut them shorter. If you are ripping, you will find it easier to cut from one bark side of the round toward the other bark side of the round, as compared to cutting from one flat, crosscut surface toward the other crosscut end. You will be cutting with a standard crosscut chain (unless you buy a milling/ ripping chain).

Not only are the right tools important, your technique as well. Some people have said that all they need is an ax, which someone pointed out is for chopping not splitting. Axes don't have the same taper as a maul, or what Fiskars may call a "splitting ax". You can split green knotless alder wood all day at 20" with an ax, but different woods, you may get nowhere fast at 12", especially knotty wood.

The proper swing is all important. You'll probably be able to find videos that will show clearly what I'll try to explain.
I'm right-handed, but can split both ways, though more comfortable, and accurate with my left hand at the bottom of the maul. Leather gloves allow the slide that accelerates the head of the maul. I basically have my right hand at, or near, the head, near my right shoulder. I lift the head up slightly behind my shoulder and somewhat overhead, not to the point of being straight-armed. I start by pushing my right hand forward, pulling down with my left hand. Right hand keeps pushing forward and down, sliding down the handle, meeting against my left hand upon contact with the round.

Through this motion, I'm bending my knees and dropping my body somewhat to add speed and energy to the maul. Kinetic energy (moving energy) = 1/2 mass x velocity (squared). Increasing the speed slightly magnifies the force because its exponentially squared.

Gloves are a good idea, but nothing compared to eye protection!

Also, having a large splitting block (round of wood) will help a lot. This will reduce the energy absorbed by the ground compressing, and protects the edge of the maul when you make it all the way through.

The edge of the maul is not as sharp as the edge an ax, as they are two different tool with two different purposes.

Post a pic of your equipment, too, including the maul's edge.

You can duct tape a pad around the shaft near the maul's head to protect if from missed blows to a wedge. I believe that if you maul has a flat back side, opposite the wedge side, it is just fine, and designed for, pounding wedges.

Nothing like practice to increase your strength, technique, and accuracy.

The best way to manually split wood is to pull the lever that activates the ram on the log splitter.

Rotator cuff surgery caused by years with the maul will help you see the very vivid truth in this statement...

Smack 'em while you can young fellers...better yet...don't.

Looks like most everything has been covered. I will add that most hardware store mauls have a rounded edge. If you are having trouble with the maul bouncing off the rounds take a grinder to the edge and make it less blunt. This will let the maul bite into the wood rather than bounce off. You may have to start the grinding an inch from the edge. What you want is a nice taper to the edge, something in between the rounded edge you get from the factory and an ax edge.
Dok

I didn't see anyone mention tires (did I miss it)?? A friend of mine told me about putting a quad tire or truck tire on your splitting block. Wow!! did that speed up my splitting time. I can put rounds in the tire and swing till it's all split, and then not even bend over to the ground once to throw the split pieces on the pile. My time and back has been saved. I wish I found this site 4 years ago when I first started burning wood. Just a little thread like this for a beginner could advance your knowledge a few years worth of your own trial and error. Saw this video on an old thread, thanks for the video Dan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCfK1WVo9LQ

When it comes to splitting by hand I like an axe, and a 12 pack of Guinness. I use a 5lb single bit axe. I have an 8 lb maul, but the design of head is crap, compared to the one we had when I was growing up seems that you can get a maul with a nicely designed head any more.

Latest posts

Back