Best way to manually split fire wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
note: fixed link in my last post!!

Ok Scoti - what where you using before you got the Swedish splitter?? U are right they are not cheap! I like the small hatchet splitter.. JUst may get one..

They all look interesting and it would be nice to be able to try a few of them side by side... I may end up with several of them...

Fiskars - Finsh. SUper slitter 4 lb head.

helko Vario - German. 2300G Heavy Splitting Axe 5 lb head. Nice 36" curved
curved handle with bolt on head.. Can be change out with small
light 3.3 lb head..

Gränsfors - Swedish. Large splitting axe 2.4 kilo and the small axe 1.6 kilos..
Large at $$$ 140.00 !!

All really nice. All a little diff from the others..

As per the stove question - I have no stove "right now".. I am a camper that love fires.. I also LOVE chain saws and cutting wood.. I think it is because I don't have 2 depend on it is why I love it.. I refuse to pay for cut wood in parks are local sellers.. I get it myself. Thats why I finally got a Stihl 361 saw.. Love it.... Plus I burn tonsssssssssss of wood when out!!!

I "sledged" my first round last night.. and you all are right.. if you hit it half way right it splits the first time!! I tapped the wedge in the center with a 4 lb sledge - then hit it with a 8 lb'r and one piece went flying!!! Of course I did NOT do all this in less then one minute.. Try 10 - 15 minutes - but I was just messing around looking at the round. First tried it on the outer part only to "splinter" off a small side part. Then thought about trying it on the side of the log - yes the log laying on the side. NO go!! Then put it in the EYE of the round and POW!!!

Now when you get the thing quarterd and u wish to half those - well thats where I guess u need good aim!

Last edited:
I use a Gransfors Bruks splitting maul. I have not been stopped yet. Have not taken more than four blows to entirely split a 24" round. Amazing piece of machinery.

Split.

note: fixed link in my last post!!

Ok Scoti - what where you using before you got the Swedish splitter??

U are right they are not cheap! I like the small hatchet splitter.. JUst may get one..

They all look interesting and it would be nice to be able to try a few of them side by side... I may end up with several of them...

Fiskars - Finsh. SUper slitter 4 lb head.

helko Vario - German. 2300G Heavy Splitting Axe 5 lb head. Nice 36" curved
curved handle with bolt on head.. Can be change out with small
light 3.3 lb head..

Gränsfors - Swedish. Large splitting axe 2.4 kilo and the small axe 1.6 kilos..
Large at $$$ 140.00 !!

All really nice. All a little diff from the others..

As per the stove question - I have no stove "right now".. I am a camper that love fires.. I also LOVE chain saws and cutting wood.. I think it is because I don't have 2 depend on it is why I love it.. I refuse to pay for cut wood in parks are local sellers.. I get it myself. Thats why I finally got a Stihl 361 saw.. Love it.... Plus I burn tonsssssssssss of wood when out!!!

I "sledged" my first round last night.. and you all are right.. if you hit it half way right it splits the first time!! I tapped the wedge in the center with a 4 lb sledge - then hit it with a 8 lb'r and one piece went flying!!! Of course I did NOT do all this in less then one minute.. Try 10 - 15 minutes - but I was just messing around looking at the round. First tried it on the outer part only to "splinter" off a small side part. Then thought about trying it on the side of the log - yes the log laying on the side. NO go!! Then put it in the EYE of the round and POW!!!

Now when you get the thing quarterd and u wish to half those - well thats where I guess u need good aim!

I was using a variety of cheap axes with a wedge and a I have a rusty maul here too. I have used this combination for most of my life and didn't know any better.

I paid $120 CDN for it. I am in Ottawa, Ontario and we have Lee Valley Tools (an amazing store for wood and outdoor products) head office right here. You can order these axes on-line from them as well @ www.leevalley.com

It seemed expensive to me at the time. Now after a year of use I can't believe they are ONLY $120. It really is amazing.

In my opinion, the fast and easy way to split wood is with a good axe. Two strikes MAX and it's in pieces. No messing with a wedge, setting it up, tapping it down, etc. Less hassle, same result.

Last edited:
I have been using an axe so far, But am having trouble getting through some of the wood. I have a maul but it didn't seem to do anything it just bounced of the wood when I used it.

Put some nut into it son :) . I use a maul and smack it three times then I'll use the wedge. If I have a lot of wood to split I rent a splitter. For $50 I can get so much more done and I don't really need the exercise. Climbing is all I need :)

So how can "special steel" help to split any better?

If one has similarly sized/shaped/weighted "mauls" "axes" whatever...how can one perform better than another?

Note that I said similar shaped implements.

I don't see how an "X" pound this can outperform an "X" pound that if the shape and handle length are similar.

Opinion.

My opinion for what it's worth:

I think that this company takes the time and care to properly harden and prepare a good piece of steel. It holds an edge very well and I sharpen it once or twice a year. It gets very, very sharp.

The handle is also made well. The head has not come loose (this is with chopping EVERYDAY all winter for a whole season) and it still feels as solid as the day I bought it. For comparison, I bought a Home Depot "indestructible" chopping axe and the head came loose and the handle split in less than a week. Also, splitting wood with that thing was a chore. I brought it back and I've already destroyed the second one...

The shape of this axe is also very different. The wedge shape is at a very sharp angle, a sharper angle than at first glance would seem effective. The distance between the edge and the completion of the angle is also very short. I'm not sure how they eventually arrived at this angle/wedge length but without a doubt, it's more effective that anything I've ever used. I was skeptical at first but every day it doesn't cease to amaze me. This tool constantly exceeds my expectations.

Everyone has a few tools that constantly impress but that experience is the exception not the norm - I can recommend this axe - it will not disappoint.

D

I'm thinking we need an "MTV Deathmatch"-style head to head with the Gransfors and Fiskars.... I've not used either one, and am starting to think my 3/4" pipe welded to box-store-maul head is ineffective based on A.S.

I work with tools for 3/4 of my waking hours, and truly appreciate the subtle nuances that make a great tool great.

I also can recognize the difference between wonderful tool for minimal dollars versus one with another notch up in quality, but multiple notches in price.

Anybody use both who can directly compare?

DEATH MATCH!!!!

Fiskar

I've seen the Fiskar model at Home Depot. The main reason I lack respect for the Fiskar is only because of what happened with my last Home Depot purchase (see above). I figured if I spent more money on a Fiskars and it didn't do the job properly, than Home Depot would have stung me twice - which would be embarrassing.

People on AS have commented favorably about the Fiskars axe so maybe it does work well?

I would love to hear from someone who has both?

If anyone doesn't use their Fiskar and wants to mail it to me for a head to head testing against my current Swedish heavyweight champ I would be please to report my findings with lots of pics...

:)

Ive seen people spend ridiculous amounts of time on one piece of knotty wood. They could just about have went out and collected pop cans, sold the scrap and bought five chunks of firewood in the time it took them to split the friekin, full of knots log. If a chunk is takin too long to split throw it out and go to the next one. IMO its rarely worth the time to mess around cuttin it smaller with a chainsaw.

Latest posts

Back