Best Way to Pack a Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
safety meh...

wedges go in wedge pouch, axe in axe scabard thing, chuck the saw over my shoulder and go, sometimes toss the gypo jugs over the other shoulder and carry my water jug, but I don't hike more then a 1/4-1/2 mile most times.

If I had to hike farther, a pack board that could hold 2 gallons of fuel, and a gallon of bar oil, along with wedges, axe, fud, water (lots of water) would be a necessity, for short hikes the wedge belt is enough.

My wedge belt is made from army surplus stuff, and the spenders have some heavy duty webbing that help pad the saw a bit, though I honestly couldn't care if it was there or not, except the whole holding up the wedges bit. Only been poked in the back by the dogs once, and it wasn't very deep, since my back gets in the way... Sometimes nick my neck with a chain but its never more than a scratch. cut my fingers more then anything really, in fact my thumb has a nice stripe on it now from doing this... (gloves, we don't need no stinking gloves)

I have gotten a little bit warm from the exhaust from time to time... but never been burned... much, at least not on the back (there is an unknown white blistery thing on my left middle finger that could possibly be from the exhaust... but I can't feel it so I don't remember when or how it happened). I've heard of guys tossing their saw on their shoulder sans shirt or anything after running for a bit and getting burned by the bar? Never seen a bar get that hot in normal use so? (Dull chain and stupid operators yes... normal use no)

Also when you plan on packing in more then a convenient walk back to the truck/crummy, bring an extra chain or two, and a bar if you have room, along with any necessary tools, and maybe a spare spark plug. The extra bar is a pain but its easier than carrying an entire saw, that way when, not if, you get pinched just swap bars and cut yerself free.

Not running a P pad as they are sometimes called will also play Hel on your shirts, I don't have many that don't have the right shoulder chewed up.
When it gets above 70 degrees outside my bar will be too hot to handle. I wear cotton fallers gloves year round. Maybe yer just not cutting fast enough! Otherwise I totally agree with you. When it's really cold out I've let the saw run on my shoulder while walking to blow the heat on me. I've seen guys pull sleds of their gear here in summer time.

For the safety nazis- it ain't going to be the saw that kills me.

I don't know if I have the stones to leave it running on my shoulder... you might be a little crazy, but then I don't care about the cold until it gets in the teens, then I might leave my hoody on...

Granted you have the brake on and what not but damn man...
Must not get that cold there. When it's blowing 30 mph and its 30 below you do what you can to stay warm. I hold the muffler a lot on those days.

Does he/she buy American and shop at Ruff Wear outlets? I great business idea they had with an even better name based out of Bend, Oregon
LMAO......... I shouldn't be surprised the yuppie town I work out would have the pooch outdoor and more :laughing:........... They got every damn thing else here, maybe they got doggy spandex so all the "cyclers" (seriously like lance Armstrong type $hit) can take their man bag dog cycling. Thing I don't get though is prostitution is illegal but these folks peddle ass all over town, never made the connection Mr obvious:innocent:

LMAO......... I shouldn't be surprised the yuppie town I work out would have the pooch outdoor and more :laughing:........... They got every damn thing else here, maybe they got doggy spandex so all the "cyclers" (seriously like lance Armstrong type $hit) can take their man bag dog cycling. Thing I don't get though is prostitution is illegal but these folks peddle ass all over town, never made the connection Mr obvious:innocent:
Lmao...you're crazy!..haha
I'm going to get some lululemons for my mutt.

Make sure your oil and gas cap are on right if packing on the shoulder (don't ask my why) ,I wear white ox type gloves ,if the saw is digging in ,just take one off and use for a pad on the shoulder ,if it is cool enough to wear a hoodie sweatshirt ,the hood works good also for a pad .

Sup guys .

Used to do pre commercial thinning and most days the bar would be too hot to handle.
Never really used a pad. the only time the saw was on my shoulder was during the hike in/hike out when I had my pack on
You will get a few nicks.. If you have a collared shirt you'll be fine though.

Now I remember why I left here. Bye again for I don't know how long.
Miss P- I feel like having worked in an industry dominated by men you would have thicker skin that that. The lady foresters I know would just call him an idiot or ********** or something and it would be back to business as usual.

Miss P- I feel like having worked in an industry dominated by men you would have thicker skin that that. The lady foresters I know would just call him an idiot or ********** or something and it would be back to business as usual.
True, but she fully understands going for a while will not change anything. I would just guess she doesn't want to be here at this time in her life which really has nothing to do with the doings in here .
Coming back and looking for different results is discribe by Einstein as the definition of insanity. The only thing in our power alone here we can change here is to not be here. "The tribe has spoken".. Lol

Latest posts

Back