'Big Bore' kit on Husky 61??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hslds

Reaction score
Hello,

Trying to help a friend in the UK - he has a Husky model 61 that is hard to pull when starting (apparently this is a common issue with this saw). We found an oversized short block that comes with a compression relief - wondering if anyone has done this modification and how did it work??

http://www.sawagain.com/hyway-52mm-...268-xp-nikasil-cylinder-piston-ring-assembly/

The real question is will we need to cut plastic from the coverings or is it a 'drop in' kit (I know we will need to drill for the release valve).

Thank you!

I have looked at your post a couple of times and I am not sure what you mean about cutting plastic from the covering if you are not talking about the release valve.

The cylinder is going to be about the same size. I have been looking at buying some of these new to me kit saws from huztl and I saw a bunch of videos on youtube of this guy putting the kits together. He does a good job of showing about the cylinder install and the rings, pin, and clips and so forth. It is on a stihl but its the same thing and yours will go on the same way. I will put a link to it. Fast forward to the good part since the rest will not matter to you. It should use a 10x1 valve, but double check that size with hyway.

TreeJoe,

Thanks for your input. Good video.

There is a suggestion that some of these 'big bore' kits are oversized not just on the inside of the bore but on the outside as well - including the cooling fins. In other words - the block is so much larger that it will not easily fit within the original footprint of the saw and thus the plastic housing needs to be cut in order for it to fit correctly.

You say 'the cylinders are about the same size.' - My question was just how close are they and does the saw need any modification for the larger bore kit.

Oh, and THANKS - for the sizing of the decompression valve thread - wasn't sure on that... (I'll double check before ordering).

Compare the hyway to the cylinder on the saw to the photo to get a sense if the fins are larger and ask sawagain what they think. The photo looks like a normal cylinder, you don't say what model it is. i have used a 268 and do see anything on this one that stands out. On larger saws heat can be a problem and larger fins may be one way they try to deal with that like on a 72cc and up. Generally you don't have to butcher anything except for the valve and often the valve is not necessary on cylinders that size. Be sure and order you a plug/screw and try it first. The plug will give you a shot at not having to drill and if you do oh well you just drill and put the valve in. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

I have looked at your post a couple of times and I am not sure what you mean about cutting plastic from the covering if you are not talking about the release valve.

The cylinder is going to be about the same size. I have been looking at buying some of these new to me kit saws from huztl and I saw a bunch of videos on youtube of this guy putting the kits together. He does a good job of showing about the cylinder install and the rings, pin, and clips and so forth. It is on a stihl but its the same thing and yours will go on the same way. I will put a link to it. Fast forward to the good part since the rest will not matter to you. It should use a 10x1 valve, but double check that size with hyway.

Really so good. thanks.

If you are going in that direction basically you are up grading to a 272 going to need plastic cover from a 272 the other pictures is to adapt the carburettor

Attachments

• s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 1
  • H18272-1.jpg
    H18272-1.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 1
  • H18268-1.jpg
    H18268-1.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 1
  • 503406002-2T.jpg
    503406002-2T.jpg