Big bore mod kits on Stihl MS441 C-M

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony84

Jack of all trades, master of some.
Reaction score
I have a very low hour MS441C-M that had a tree dropped on it and a few cooling fins were broken off the head, in addition to other damage. With the fins being broken, I will need a new head to prevent over heating issues. As i priced things out, I have found several big bore kits that are considerably less than ordering an OEM from the dealership. Does anyone have any suggestions for brands, or how well they would work the M-Tronic fuel management system?

The top piece of plastic was smashed, the decompression valve was smashed, and there are like 5 fins broken off the front left corner. I figured the safest bet was to just replace the whole top end of it. I was told by the shop, that with so many fins broken off it would heat up unevenly and warp, ultimately wearing unevenly and blowing it up. I bought it brand new last Nov and probably don't even have 20 hrs on it yet.

I priced one out and they wanted $225 for the head/piston combo. Before the drop, I was a little disappointed in the power department. I went from a 25" that it came with down to a 20" and it was better, but still didn't wow Mr like the little 261 I got. That's part of the reason I was thinking big bore kit to replace it. Not to mention the big bore kits are cheaper than stock. Just looking for some advice/insight on how well the m-tronic handles the different displacement. And if there is one brand i should get or stay away from.

My 441c runs a 25 with no issue. I would go OEM with a saw that new. I run a Stihl skip chain and keep it sharp and it rips through wood up to 35 inches with no issues.

Thanks for the advice. I will find out Monday how much it is gonna hurt the wallet.

Go w/aftermarket big bore, just be sure and choose high quality AM, not elcheapo. There is no replacement for displacement..
Lots of AM jugs have pisspoor transfers in them. Ive even seen sum meteor jugs w/way to small lower transfers that didnt come down low enuff.
Research before you buy. Also check out easysaw. Buildn a 288 w/one of their kits, impressed me.
Course I hogged out intake n exhaust a bit.

Back