Big knotty rounds.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred Wright

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Worked up just under half a cord of twisty, knotty pin oak Saturday. Tree service delivery; I'm guessing these were yard trees.

Have split oak before but nothing like this. The stuff shreds and mangles. Had to noodle into quarters and it's still the devil to split. There's 4 left, they're gonna wait for another day.

The rest is red maple. More big honkin' rounds with knots galore but the maple should be easier to work with.

I hope. :)

100_0097.JPG 100_0098.JPG 100_0099.JPG 100_0100.JPG 100_0103.JPG 100_0104.JPG

Every so often you get one that needs to be noodled all the way.
the one oak,, I brought to my place 6 months ago, had 4 large rounds I cut,,just above the main trunk,,that had had limbs growing out every which way..theres no damn way,,you could have split that stuff.. I noodled every one of them,,and have some nice 5x5 pieces of oak....

I did up a 30" maple that was hollow in the middle. The outside grain was at a 45 degree angle at some spots and would double back on itself like a lighting bolt. 8 lb maul was useless as was my Fiskars.
tell yah what,,that 3120 I just rebuild,,sure did a number on those 38 inch dia rounds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've done Maple rounds that were just as bad. Not that it's hard for the splitter, but all the angled grain still makes a mess of it. For that section of the trunk, I find it just as fast to noodle the whole thing. When you're done you at least have wood you can actually stack straight. A 70cc saw with 3/8" chain helps.

Worked up just under half a cord of twisty, knotty pin oak Saturday. Tree service delivery; I'm guessing these were yard trees.

Have split oak before but nothing like this. The stuff shreds and mangles. Had to noodle into quarters and it's still the devil to split. There's 4 left, they're gonna wait for another day.

The rest is red maple. More big honkin' rounds with knots galore but the maple should be easier to work with.

I hope. :)

View attachment 425261 View attachment 425262 View attachment 425263 View attachment 425265 View attachment 425266 View attachment 425267
Those chunks of knotted Oak would have went right in my chipper. Garbage it just beats on your splitter.

I guess I have it easy--I ran a small amount of bug kill Ponderosa pine through my hydro splitter the other day.

Those rounds look like a pretty good workout.

38in rounds, I just put on my splitter, knots and all. Havent found anything it wont split yet. Pukey maple just mashes up, but it still goes thru. Only thing I noodle is stuff that my log grabs wont wrap around enough to hold for pickup. Got some 48in red maple I need to get processed out back now.

You know, "noodle" was not in my vocabulary before I joined AS. If it don't split easy I rip it so that it does. And I don't mess with that if I can lift it. My splitter is a beast with a 2-stage pump. Not to bragg, but it will crush through anything!

You know, "noodle" was not in my vocabulary before I joined AS. If it don't split easy I rip it so that it does. And I don't mess with that if I can lift it. My splitter is a beast with a 2-stage pump. Not to bragg, but it will crush through anything!
there are more than one that will. mine will, but I like nice pieces I can stack..if you tried to split them pukes, youd have the most twisted curly piles of trash ever, only good for the burn pile.........noodling them,,makes nice straight pieces......................................and there was a LOT of wood in those three chunks!!!!!

In the post reply ,the middle tab says upload a file ,that should get you into your pictures maybe ,then just pick the image yo want and post it ,easy peasy and lemmon stuff .

I haven't found anything my splitter won't split, and i don't care if it mashes it's way through to do it... I burn my wood, not show it off! lol

SR
I agree 100%. I put the good looking splits in the basement by the stove. The uglies go in my shop stove. Nothing goes in the burn pile unless that pile is in one of the stoves.

Back