Big knotty rounds.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It mainly depends on species but I work with the grain as much as I can.
Live oak is very hard to split even strait logs, much less forks.
If it wont split it gets noodled down or simply put in the camp wood pile.
You have to be careful, once a piece of wood gets a load on it, it can pop out of the splitter with great force.
Not really worth the risk of exploding wood coming off the splitter.

Worked up just under half a cord of twisty, knotty pin oak Saturday. Tree service delivery; I'm guessing these were yard trees.

Have split oak before but nothing like this. The stuff shreds and mangles. Had to noodle into quarters and it's still the devil to split. There's 4 left, they're gonna wait for another day.

The rest is red maple. More big honkin' rounds with knots galore but the maple should be easier to work with.

I hope. :)

View attachment 425261 View attachment 425262 View attachment 425263 View attachment 425265 View attachment 425266 View attachment 425267
When you're splitting ugliness like that, 68,000lbs of hydraulic goodness is nice to have.

It mainly depends on species but I work with the grain as much as I can.
Live oak is very hard to split even strait logs, much less forks.
If it wont split it gets noodled down or simply put in the camp wood pile.
You have to be careful, once a piece of wood gets a load on it, it can pop out of the splitter with great force.
Not really worth the risk of exploding wood coming off the splitter.
Got that right. Had a couple of 'em decide to pop out under pressure. They missed the jewels, thankfully and reminded me of why I wear steel toe shoes when splitting. :eek:

Got that right. Had a couple of 'em decide to pop out under pressure. They missed the jewels, thankfully and reminded me of why I wear steel toe shoes when splitting. :eek:

After nearly loosing my big toe about 10 years ago when a truck axle fell and smashed my foot I barely even walk around my bedroom without steel toe boots! Have saved my feet several times since.

noodling is where its at,,for knotty stuff...period

It must be about "proper" wedge design, because my old splitter would pop rounds apart and sometimes those pieces were hard to control.

My new splitter has NEVER done that and it will split ANYTHING you put on the beam... I really think if the splitter is properly designed, especially the wedge, "popping apart" just isn't a problem!

I LOVE my TW3HD, it just does so many things right!

SR

It must be about "proper" wedge design, because my old splitter would pop rounds apart and sometimes those pieces were hard to control.

My new splitter has NEVER done that and it will split ANYTHING you put on the beam... I really think if the splitter is properly designed, especially the wedge, "popping apart" just isn't a problem!

SR
im still talking..about he twisted pieces of garbage you get off the splitter..............................and stacking,,etc.....

30" maple. You can see where the grain grows at an angle all the way up (the cuts were straight on the tree) and almost does two 90 degree angles towards the bottom. Took a maul and a sledge to open this one. Noodled most of it.

image.jpg

30" maple. You can see where the grain grows at an angle all the way up (the cuts were straight on the tree) and almost does two 90 degree angles towards the bottom. Took a maul and a sledge to open this one. Noodled most of it.

View attachment 425868
T H A T ! right there.is what im talking about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! try stacking any amount of that,,and tell me how long,,before the stacks fall over....look at the nice stacks spidey does, and even one of his went over!!!!!!!!!!!!

The sun knocked my wood stack over the other day ,it was even stacked against outer wall of my shop ,the sun pulled it away from the wall somehow .

How a

SR
How about a picture of your wedge?mine needs up graded
true dat,,but knarly crooked rounds DONT stack well outside, for drying at maximum flow.......!!!!
Most of mine I just throw on a pile on pallets or in the woods on a pile of dead branches sometimes. Try to keep them out of shade and high ground that gets some wind or breeze. Try to get them covered in dry weather before snow or rain. They get dry enough that way in my climate.
Big knotty pieces are my favorite for holding a fire. I noodle most of mine.

My splitter doesnt pop wood, it cuts it. Knotty, the wedge just slices thru it. I have a 3/4in thick knife style wedge, 24 inches tall. I know some folks like the wood to pop before full stroke, but its what works for the user that counts.securedownload (1) - Copy.jpg

How about a picture of your wedge?mine needs up graded

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

SR

T H A T ! right there.is what im talking about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! try stacking any amount of that,,and tell me how long,,before the stacks fall over....look at the nice stacks spidey does, and even one of his went over!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mine goes into half cord boxes that I move with my tractor,

standard.jpg

I'm not into stacking and then having to handle it over and over and I've never had any fall out of a box...

SR

Latest posts

Back