Big Macs for breakfast

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpr

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hustled to the post office this morning to grab these before I head to the office. I got them from Lonnie Cureton out in WA. He's not on the boards, but cool guy to talk with. He's got a 150 saw collection out there. Prices were more than fair, I didn't steal them, so neither of us is walking funny :hmm3grin2orange:.

About all I had time for was unpacking them.

440 that someone already put an HL in. I have to fix the starter to know more. Supposed to run good. Came with a 24" Mac hardnose.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Second one is a 125C. Also supposed to be a runner. Muffler's a little wonky, I'll check that out later and it has a single jet carb. I have a dual on the shelf to swap out.
attachment.php

Came with what I believe is a 48" Cannon and a loop of new Stihl square grind.
attachment.php

I'm going to be useless today. I won't get home until after 8... durn.

Good point, maybe I'll take the 125 and see if I can convince them to switch to lunch menu early.

Nice looking 125, with a mean bar on it!!! I'll be waiting for some more pictures.

Finally. ZZTop on the box, Macs on the bench, Black in the glass. Time to see what's what.

Very nice looking Mac 125c. It appears somebody did some customizing with those yellow dual dogs. If you find some big wood, you'll love that bar and chain combo. It's pretty close to what I run on mine and it has always come through the big hard stuff with ease.

Lots of pics.

Videos will probably have to wait until Sunday.

First the 440. The airbox was full of the disintegrated remnants of the spitback sponge. I don't know what the made these out of, but even "good" ones will turn to mush if you poke them.
attachment.php

Popped the carb and cleaned that crap out. I took the retainer wire out of the spitback box, too. One of these days I'm gonna grind a 7/16 wrench like Mark did :mad:.
attachment.php

The starter/clutch cover had a broken spring and corners, so I swapped one off the shelf.
attachment.php

Some paint bubbles here and there indicative of early-stage white death, but this one's been saved in time to be preserved as a working example.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

She should be ready to go. I swapped out the odd-ball NGK plug for a correct Champion DJ8J. I didn't try to run it tonight, but I'm excited to. As much as I love (and I DO LOVE them) the 7ci Macs, I'm a real sucker for the 87s...
attachment.php

McCulloch says it's OK, savvy?
attachment.php

Now for the big briuser. I now know why the muffler covers on these were so routinely beat up.
attachment.php

Like a zit on the face of an otherwise stunning girl.
attachment.php

Those spitback collector sponges always turn into a sticky, crumbly goo. Those carb bolts/nuts are indeed a PITA to turn on the top-tank Macs. I'm going to grind a 7/16" wrench tomorrow morning for just that purpose. There's the one instance where the front-tank saws are actually easier to work on than the top-tank saws.

Oh.......................and you SUCK Charles!:D

Off you go, then. I think I can salvage this muffler. Clean it up, paint it, replace the factory deflector, and add a second one above it. Old-school dual-port.
attachment.php

Lonnie gave it the Earl Scheib-job. That's cool so long as it fights off the gas. If not, I'll blast it and powder coat it. I want to run the single needle carb, then try the dual. Mark showed a nice gain with his, I'm hoping for the same.
attachment.php

He's sending me a new sticker set for it. This is my "prettiest" Mac.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

That saw was on ebay recently wasn't it Charles? I remember noticing the "Earl Sheib" paintjob in the listing pics. Also noticed the yellow spikes.

A nice touch.
attachment.php

The Super 797 is, admittedly, down on compression and wasn't a fair fight for the 791R. This will be, especially after the carb and muffler mods. McBob says the MC-91Bs are 125 killers... Can't wait to find out. Incidentally, I got to hear this one bark breifly on a prime because the decomp was in and I needed to reset it to test the compression. Is a little mix spatter around the decomp "normal" on these?
attachment.php

I was just getting comfortable filing round chisel, now I get to learn square...
attachment.php

I'll have fun Sunday running these, plus the 791R and the Root. I'll get vids up. Then I need to quit screwing around and get back to building the kartsaw :biggrinbounce2:.

Last edited:
That saw was on ebay recently wasn't it Charles? I remember noticing the "Earl Sheib" paintjob in the listing pics. Also noticed the yellow spikes.

Yes it was. He listed it several times and didn't sell it, so I contacted him about it.

Be careful with the paint in the airbox. I built an SP-125 from scratch 7-8 years ago and painted the saw with high-temp paint (slightly too bright of yellow); including the inside of the airbox. The problem was that the spraying of gas caused the paint to start bubbling badly. To the point I took the carb out so I could scrap and carb-clean spray all the paint out. What a mess!

bob

Back