Big oak (and a ripping chain question)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agrams

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Towards the end of the summer we had a pretty heavy wind storm blow through that leveled a lot of big trees. A homeowner somehow got hold of me and wanted a big table made from her tree. So I loaded up and went and slabbed up a huge tree. We cut each of the slabs at about 2.5" thick, with sizes ranging from 36-44" wide and 9'-10' in length. All told we got 7 slabs.

On to my chain question. I use woodland pro 33rp (.375: pitch, .063 gauge) but I was pretty much dulling a chain by the end of every cut in that slab, it was brutal. The wood did have some pith at the crotch section, but I wasn't hitting any metal or rocks. It just seems the chains dull abnormally quickly. Are there alternatives with harder steel? Or given the price point, am I still better off running the 33rp and just dealing with the dulling? I've never experienced dulling that quickly, and am sure it is mainly to do with the tree, not the chain.

Attachments

• unnamed (2).jpg
    unnamed (2).jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 183
  • 10898217_686554291463405_6311557764229782114_n.jpg
    10898217_686554291463405_6311557764229782114_n.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 169
In a wide cut, it is just normal wear, IMO. How many tanks of gas did it take for a slab cut? I touch up my chain at least every other gas up. Otherwise the chain gets too dull.

1 tank and 1 chain per cut... we got 7 slabs overall. Oak is a pain to dry, and I hope the cracking stays minimal. But at long as it dries fully and doens't move, I can work with most any cracks via epoxy/butterfly dovetails. I've had them air drying for about 2 months, but hope to get them dropped off at the kiln this coming weekend. The bad part is that it was dulling enough by the end of each single cut that we were stalling in our cuts, just spinning the chain and overworking the powerhead. It took several times of backing the mill out and changing chains/sharpening and resetting in the kerf, which is always a pain in the arse.

Trying to say this as nicely as possible as to not hurt your feelings.
It could be the chain, but I'd say you should be sure your getting it as sharp as you think your getting it. Posting a clear picture of the top and the side of the chain would give us a chance to tell what might be the problem. I was having the same issue on a spruce log and the guys on here helped me figure my issues.

Also don't forget the bar. a sloppy bar or a bur on the bar can make a sharp chain not cut.

What saw are you using? Any pictures of the actual milling?

don't worry betterbuilt, constructive input will never hurt my feelings. I run a 3120xp with a 72" cannon superbar. I don't have any in-process milling pics, and will try and get some pictures of the chains I used that day (though they have most likely already been touched up with a hand file since that use).

I've done a 30" pecan log with 1 chain with just touchups after each pass and not had a problem. I think this tree just has so much wood to cut through that it was getting the better of the chains.

Did you cut it in their front yard?

Truly a wonderful slab you made for them, I would love to see more photo's from the day.....
The last big chunk of White Oak I slabbed-out wasn't near that large but it still ate some chains during the day. I was getting 2 passes on a 33"W x 7'L on a tank of fuel and a chain....figure if I'm filling up, I'm filing too. Besides, I need the breaks in between chunks to give the saw cooling time(as well as cooling for me).

Scott (fun how locals find people to do this) B

I have to say that the ripping chain 'could' be your problem. I run 404 with semi chisel, and the semi chisel plus the 404 would stay sharp enough for three slabs in a tree at 33-35", maybe a fourth cut too with no touch-up. The timberline my also help a LOT as well.

I am running full chain, no skip on 42" on a 394xp. Not scientific, but it's what has been working lately.

394xp w/ 33" & 42" Bars - Full Comp Full Chisel - 36" Granberg Alaskan Mill
455 Rancher w/ 20" Bar - Semi Chisel
Husqvarna Forestry Helmet & Full Wrap Chaps

We do the aux oiler, as well as my cutting partner has a hand oiler for putting on the chain during cuts if we see the need for more oil.

Nice slabs ,debark will help some ,but look at the sawdust pile your removing a lot of wood . Touch the chain lightly after every cut ,keeps it on the sharp side . My back just twished look at those slabs ,how did you move them ?

Back