Big oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gixxerjoe04

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
The other day, my local turning club sent out an email, a woman had a big bur oak tree fall down. Rather than see if cut up for firewood, she wanted woodworkers to come take whatever they wanted. Thought, sweet, could take my mill out there get some nice slabs, wanted to cut some cookies because an arborist estimated to be 300 or so years old. Well I went over there since I was close by to check it out, would be a lot of dangerous work to get it on the ground to be able to mill. Fell over perfect for the home owner since it didn't crush their house, but the tree is being held up by all the monster branches. Not being an experienced guy, won't be cutting wood off of it unless it gets taken to the ground. The one owner told me one tree service came out and said they'd give them a discount if they'd cut it so they could get the lumber, and apparently they're the only ones around here with big enough equipment to deal with trees that size. Measured the circumference, the diameter is a little over 4 feet.

I would have cut it up if there weren't so many limbs supporting it, would be too dangerous for an amateur like me to try to get it on the ground. Of course if it were on the ground, wouldn't be able to cut it up for awhile anyways. The 60" bar I ordered from bailey's 2 months ago was suppose to ship tomorrow, but got an email saying it'll be another freaking month, pretty ridiculous.

I would have cut it up if there weren't so many limbs supporting it, would be too dangerous for an amateur like me to try to get it on the ground. Of course if it were on the ground, wouldn't be able to cut it up for awhile anyways. The 60" bar I ordered from bailey's 2 months ago was suppose to ship tomorrow, but got an email saying it'll be another freaking month, pretty ridiculous.

Get a refund due to the delay & buy a cannon from the Piltz dude on eBay.

My 50" was delivered within a week.

As far as the limbs supporting it, work it down, paying attention as you go: there is nothing different with this tree other than it is bigger.

Get a refund due to the delay & buy a cannon from the Piltz dude on eBay.

My 50" was delivered within a week.

As far as the limbs supporting it, work it down, paying attention as you go: there is nothing different with this tree other than it is bigger.

The only reason I've stuck out and waited was because I had a coupon and they had the summer deal going on, so I got the bar for $300 instead of $415 or whatever it is usually.

The only reason I've stuck out and waited was because I had a coupon and they had the summer deal going on, so I got the bar for $300 instead of $415 or whatever it is usually.

How's that discount helping you right now?

f2bdc89a51afc0b14dc3bf5d4a3c8d9b.jpg

Back