Big Pecan Milling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agrams

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Had someone contact me about a huge pecan at some family property that they were looking to get some pieces out of. Usually when people tell me how big a tree is in diameter, I always assume they are exaggerating. When he told me 40-50" diameter, I figured the same... I couldn't have been more wrong. This has to be the biggest dang pecan tree I've cut up. The main trunk was 40-50" wide up to about 12', then it had a second section with branches that would rival any tree that had to be up to 60" across in some spots. We set up a date and I drove down and we spent all day Saturday cutting. A solid 12 hours later and more sore muscles than I care to count, we had 5 big slabs (40-50" wide, 100" long and 3" thick) plus two smaller (3'x4'x3" thick) coffee table slabs. Now off to get them dried and figure out what he wants made from them.

The lower half of the trunk:
rN0sN0p.jpg

And some slabs from it:

0HvAzpe.jpg
AYbtBWp.jpg

For some scale, that is a 6' bar on the chainsaw, and the 2x4's are 12' long.

The Top trunk section. We could have cut more dining table size slabs, but we decided to cut some square size pieces for coffee/square tables:
OoAuhFo.jpg

F8tvAgo.jpg

Loaded up...
q4KPnv8.jpg

I am going to make at least 1 table for the owner and maybe some other pieces, but whatever isn't used by them will be for my own use.

Latest posts

Back